Excessive weight loss can be caused by a variety of health issues including:
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Celiac disease
- Gallbladder inflammation
- Cardiovascular issues
- Hypo or Hyper thyroidism
- Drug reactions
- Parkinson’s disease etc.
But if you are SIBO positive and having trouble maintaining weight while consuming adequate calories, it generally indicates some degree of dietary malabsorption. And this can persist for some time even after SIBO has been addressed.
Dietary Solutions for Weight Loss with SIBO
The Fast Tract Diet can help you gain weight while addressing SIBO by:
1. Limiting all hard-to-digest carbohydrates that can fuel SIBO. Overgrowing bacteria produce toxins and proteolytic enzymes that can damage delicate villi and microvilli structures in the small intestine. Controlling this overgrowth will help restore your gut lining and minimize malabsorption.
2. Including easier-to-digest carbohydrates that are less likely to be malabsorbed and therefore, less likely to fuel SIBO.
3. Increasing dietary fats. Fats are often deficient in the diets of people who can’t maintain weight. Also, dietary fats do not fuel SIBO and help replace lost calories when hard-to-digest carbs are restricted.
4. Identifying and addressing underlying factors which may promote SIBO or contribute to your specific case of malabsorption. Some underlying factors may be addressed simply by taking dietary supplements. For instance, if you are lactose intolerance, you can address it by taking lactase enzyme or avoiding high lactose dairy. Many other underlying factors are more complex and may require thorough evaluation and / or diagnostics.
5. Following a roadmap for addressing die-hard symptoms of malabsorption and SIBO. For instance, if SIBO bacteria are present in the earlier part of the small intestine, limiting not only the hard-to-digest carbohydrates but all carbohydrates may be required short term. This helps your body clear the overgrowth and allow the small intentional surface to heal.
All is outlined in the Fast Tract Digestion Heartburn and IBS books. Ready to start the diet, try the Fast Tract Diet mobile app.
If you continue to experience weight loss, contact us for individual consultation via the consultation page.