Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD What's the deal with Glycosaminoglycans aka GAGs ?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Am I the only person that can’t tolerate GAGs? I don’t see much mention of them anywhere.

GAGs are the cartilage found in animal foods and from what I can understand they are essentially carbs. I suffer immensely when I eat them. I get all the same symptoms I would get if I ate a high fermentation food such as wheat. Heartburn or GERD accompanied by gas, bloating diarrhoea, brain fog, headaches, irritability, fatigue and the list goes on.

The cuts of meat that get me the most are ribs, all poultry, prime rib etc. Basically any meat that is around the bone or has a bunch of cartilage tissue through it. Lean cuts like round roast or fatty cuts like bacon are fine cause they are away from the bone. I also suspect cooking time has an affect on how easy the GAGs are to digest for both me and the SIBO. Meats like poultry that are cooked slower seem to cause me a lot more problems. I don’t seem to have a problem with fish that is cooked on the bone, but I usually eat it slightly under cooked so that might be why.

I recently tried a course of Rifaximin, but that didn’t resolve this issue. It did seem to help with other issues like, bile re-absorption and fat digestion. I no longer have oily stool. I’ve tried loads of herbal antibiotics, alicin, goldenseal, oregano oil, FC Biotics (contain a mix of herbs) etc, but nothing seems to help.

I did another SIBO breath test after the Rifaximin and it shows no gas production, but I don’t think these tests are accurate at all. I bet if I ate a rotisserie chicken the day before the test it would show major gas production. Which makes me wonder if SIBO is a generic condition for a very personal problem? Is my SIBO the same as your SIBO?

Is avoiding foods that feed the SIBO really enough to get rid of it? I’ve heard those bugs could live off mucous indefinitely so some intervention is needed.

The question is, what is the right intervention? Should I try another course of Rifaximin or combine Rifaximin with Neomycin? Do I have to live the rest of my life as a social outcast with massive dietary restrictions? Any thoughts, ideas, cures, success stories, jokes, lies, insults etc would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly
    Participant

Haha, I don’t have any jokes or insults for you, but here’s my experience, supported by what I’ve read about meat, fat, cartilage, etc. Any part of meat is easier to digest if it’s cooked slowly in water, i.e. stewed or braised. Cartilage or connective tissue is more difficult than muscle. Liver and fish are easier than other meats and I can eat them fried/baked/etc. But I stew or braise almost everything else, otherwise I risk constipation.

robray
    Participant

Is the constipation a result of SIBO? Are you a methane producer?

Have you experimented with the cuts of meat on the bone? I notice a huge difference between ribs vs pork belly. I have no symptoms with pork belly. I also think the cooking time does make the cartilage easier to digest, but that seems to also make it easier for the SIBO to consume too. In my case long roasting meats on the bone are killer.

Kelly
    Participant

Yes, I have SIBO but haven’t been tested. It causes constipation, often accompanied by gas.

I haven’t experimented much with different meats, I eat what’s cheap & easy. I don’t think it’s cooking time, I think it’s the water that makes the biggest difference. I can only eat meat & certain veggies, and I cook it all in water or broth.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.