Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A What can I do when necessary medication contains sugar alcohol?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m very new to the FTD; I’m on my first week and still trying to work things out. I’ve got very bad LPR and also suffer with GERD and poor digestion in general.

My problem is the following: I have to take a reflux suppressant over night in order to stop the GERD and LPR causing damage to my throat and esophagus.

But the medication I take (the only one the I can tolerate) contains sorbitol which potentially causes fermentation and is contraindicated on the FTD.

Does anyone else have this problem? I cannot stop the medication until my reflux improves but the medication itself could be causing reflux.

I already sleep sitting almost upright on a reflux wedge and have the head of my bed raised, so I’m doing as much as I can but still need the medication.

I’d be grateful is anyone has thoughts on this issue.

Many thanks, AC

JI
    Participant

Hi Angel Cake,

The first thing I would do is ask your doctor if there is an alternative medication you can take that does not contain the sugar alcohol. If not, I would not fret too much about it. My thought is that the amount of sugar alcohol in a medication is not that much. Good luck!

Angel Cake
    Participant

Hi JI,

thanks very much for your reply which I really appreciate. I have indeed looked for alternative medication but haven’t been able to tolerate anything else available because they all contained aspartame which I react badly to.

I do hope there isn’t a huge amount of sugar alcohol (Sorbitol) in the tablets though, as you say.

Best wishes, AC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.