Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know many people who have digestive problems experience the inability to gain weight. I have the opposite problem. I have always been very health conscious and watched my weight. When I was 20 I went from 115 lbs to almost 150 lbs in a matter of months. I have spent the last 4 years eating specifically for my metabolism (low GI foods) which I know now may have been causing me more harm than good? I’ve had every blood test and stool test etc done under the sun and everything came back relatively normal. I did have a candida overgrowth, but with a low carb diet and some herbal supplements, another stool test determined it was eradicated. I have been doing a paleo type diet for about 2 years with no success. I was still constipated and still had excess weight that wouldn’t budge regardless of what I ate, how much I ate or didn’t eat, and how much physical activity I did.

Now I am on day 20 out of 21 on a vivonex diet and I feel so much better! I am now down to 126 lbs. I still feel bloated but it was reduced drastically, and I no longer have any abdominal discomfort (aside from some slight bloating). I already bought the Fast Track Digestion book and plan on following the low FP protocol afterwards but I am scared to eat food again. If vivonex wasn’t so expensive I would consider doing this for the rest of my life, as this is the best I have felt in years. My doctor has also prescribed me a pro-kinetic to take after the vivonex.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I guess I just want reassured/ know if it is at all possible that I won’t gain all this weight back and that I can continue to lose weight until im back to where I was before all of this happened?

Thank you 🙂

kristencadman
    Participant

I forgot to mention, I did do SCD for 6 months (VERY STRICT!!!) every time I would introduce a new food, especially fruit and veggies, I would have a reaction. I also have a VERY strong reaction to gluten and a slight reaction to dairy. It seems like if I cut out any food, when I go to reintroduce it I have a problem, as if I’m intolerant to everything?!?!

JI
    Participant

Hi Kristen–hopefully, being on the Vivonex has healed your digestive system to the point that you can tolerate more foods. I am no expert, but if you follow the FT diet, and limit carbs, I think you should not gain weight. A nurse told me that you cannot gain weight without carbs in the diet. I lost weight quickly when I first started the FT diet. I was already too thin. I added lower FP carbs, and high calorie foods to stabilize my weight. I wish you luck. You have come to the right place for lots of support.

kristencadman
    Participant

Hi JI! Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, in the past I have found that even going really low carb (as I have done for over 2 years on a paleo diet) didn’t make a difference to me. Ironically, being on the vivonex, which is about 80 % carbs, has helped me tremendously, as far as bloating is concerned.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.