Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello, everybody

I just read the book, and have some questions lingering.

If we re-heat the rice does it looses its rs again?

If we eat less in the day (3 times, without snacks, instead of 4 or 5) does our chances of better gut balance increase?

If we do snack, does eating a piece of fruit as a snack, make it less fermentable than after a meal?

I’m still worried with the sugar spikes of the diet. Can we balance those with fat (bread with butter, for instance) or that will only increase the fp?

I don’t understand the difference in fp between bread and pasta. They both come from white wheat flour. Shouldn’t the fp be roughly the same?

White french bread as little fp. However, on the low-FODMAP, they mention that wheat products have fructans. Shoudn’t that increase it’s fp?

What’s your take on spelt bread? Supposedly less fermentable?

Is it better to peel the apples, pears, potatoes? Less fp or negligible difference?

When we have our IBS under control, can high fermentation foods such as bananas, apples or oranges be introduced safely? I feel that they are very nutrient dense, and would be disappointed to know that they’re generally out of bounds for most people controlling this chronic problem.

Thank you for any help you might give. I loved the book and it’s the first diet that made complete sense to me so far. Just have to put it into practice. Looking forward for the app!

Regards,
    Tiago

Lenka
    Participant

Hello,
    I have dig up a bit while reading Norman’s book as I was interested in the starches and first have heard about the lipido:starch complexes. In an scientific article (unfortunately written in my native language) I have found paragraph about resistant starch RS3 referring to retrograded amylose. It say that this RS3 resistant starch originates from starch that is at first gelationed (by heating the water solution over 60°C). This results amylose creates randomly formatted spirals. Subsequent cooling results in amylose structure change – re-association into double spirals joined by hydrogen bridge bond. (and hydrogen bridge bond are intermolecular reaction that are hard to break, in fact they gives water its liquid properties)
    Common re-heating of the food containing the RS3 does not causes dissociation of such structure and therefore such stabilized amylose structure is resistant to enzymatic hydrolysis.
    You would get more if you google retrogradated amylose,gives quite a bit of resources.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.