Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A SIBO, high soluble fiber foods, and fermentation

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there,

I have SIBO (inactive), diagnosed using a breath test. I’ve had to eliminate gluten, dairy, eggs (i get hives and diarrhea/nausea), soy/legumes, and grapes (in wine/beverages or fresh–they make me nauseous, don’t know why). I CAN eat ALL meats and seafood.

As part of “legumes” i eliminated green beans–but these are allowed on your diet, and i’m curious why they’re not in the same category as beans. For the same reason, i switched from peanut butter to almond butter–but i don’t know the fermentation level of the latter.

Regarding rice–i didn’t see mention of “sprouted” rice, and this is a product i’m beginning to see everywhere–including in cereal and in a version of rice milk! “Sprouted” rice milk? Anyway–is it safe?

I was told to avoid foods that are high in soluble fiber because they would feed the bacteria, leading to more overgrowth. Thus, my diet is very restricted. I’ve been trying a modified FODMAPS, and I’ve bought your book because I’m interested in the fermentation theory.

Because I’ve been advised to avoid high soluble fiber foods, I’ve cut out many foods your diet seems to allow. As a result, I’m curious how some of these foods could be considered low-fermentation and “safe”? eg, avocado, artichoke, beets, and acorn squash, to name a few. Don’t foods high in soluble fiber hang around for a longer time, thus promoting bacterial growth, and if so, doesn’t that make them high fermentation foods? Being gluten-free, it would be helpful to be able to eat quinoa, buckwheat, and other substitutes–but i haven’t because of the high soluble fiber problem, so then i’m limited to rice, potatoes, and corn, and in larger quantities or daily consumption all but the rice will give me a problem.

I’ve had a problem with apples and bananas in the past, which seems to support your theory, b/c otherwise, i don’t know why! On the other hand, i have a negative GI response to onions, fennel, and leeks, but these are listed as low fermentation, so there must be another problem with them? Which makes the FODMAPS diet seem logical in that regard–i think they’re all in the same category.

Could you please weigh in on my question about how high soluble fiber foods could be considered “safe”, including gluten-free grains? I’d like very much to be able to add some foods back into my diet, but I’m rather afraid to go back to this category of foods for fear of becoming symptomatic again. If i could I would add beets, asparagus, and avocado, for instance, since they’re healthy and widely available.

Thank you!

ftder
    Participant

Hi Canteatfood!

I think all the questions are answered in Dr. Robillard’s book Fast Track Digestion:IBS. Dr. Robillard does not advocate most gluten free grains as most are hightly fermentable. But Jasmine and Sushi Rice and Russet potatoes (in modest portions and chewed well and eaten fresh) are tollerated by many people usless you have very advanced SIBO.

CantEatFood
    Participant

Hi bearsmom, yes, I ordered and read the book before asking these questions. I didn’t see a specific discussion of soluble fiber vs fermentation–maybe I missed it. What i don’t understand is how high soluble fiber foods could be low-fermentation? It’s my understanding, from my GI doc at Hopkins, that high soluble fiber foods are what promote an increase in the bacteria we don’t want if we have SIBO. So I’m trying to understand why Dr. Robillard’s diet allows some of these high sol-fiber foods — how could the fermentation factor be low, in other words, for such foods?

Also, i’m wondering about sprouted rice because I’m seeing it as an ingredient in many products now, including the rice milk I’ve been buying. I’m not sure if this is better or worse for someone with SIBO, and I’d love to get some insight on that. I find very little info available about it.
    Thanks!

tummyrumbles
    Participant

It’s a shame this poster never got a more detailed answer after all this time. It’s a good question.

I’ve found my safest foods are very limited: raw salads and red meat. Meat and insoluble fibre don’t feed bacteria as much as soluble fibre and just about everything else. Red meat also has the advantage of containing fats, which also help move things along.

The very worst foods for me are high starch – all grains: wheat, rice etc – there’s no safe grain for me, FODMAPs, sugar etc. I think constipation underlies all IBS but this doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t go every day. You could have a sluggish form of constipation where food residue moves slowly through the colon, feeding bacteria as it does so. Eventually if the bacterial populations grows large enough, it can migrate up towards the small intestine. Raw salads seem to move quickly through for me and the soluble fibre in salads is metabolised to some extent by colonic bacteria I believe, not by bacteria in the small intestine. I also think mostly starch is broken down in the small intestine, so if your symptoms are worse after you eat a lot of starch, this might suggest a problem with SIBO. I can’t eat any FODMAPs, and these include all legumes. We’re all different so it’s just trial and error with diet. It took me 10 years to work out my optimum diet. I’ve kept a lot of diaries over these years and these have helped me determine what works and what doesn’t.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.