Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Rosacea, SIBO and Diet Rosacea and strict diet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm,

I have dealt with stomach issues for 15 years. 2 years ago I woke up with butterfly rash and bumps (rosacea) came out of no where and no history. After doing a food sensitivity test I found out I had a lot of foods that I was sensitive too. I cut all those out a long with going gluten free/dairy free/caffeine free/alcohol free. Within in a few weeks my stomach ache cleared but not my rosacea. Was still just as bad. I Stayed on this diet for 6 month. Nothing happened with skin. Ended up going on doxy for skin and it helped and did laser. But I still had to be really careful with everything for my skin. I was on anti biotics for 7 months. Knew I had to go off them. So I did and did a strict paleo for 4 months. My skin didn’t change. Maybe less bumps but not much. I ended up find a Naturo and did the SIBO test. It was positive. Also showed very very low levels of hashimotos. I soon developed ocular rosacea and the flushing with rosacea as well. I have now been on a very very strict diet for 2.5 months with herbal anti microbials and one round of Rifaxamin and Flagyl. My diet consists of Salmon,Shrimp, Chicken, Turkey and some beef. Broccoli, Carrots, Zuchhini, Water Chestnuts, Coconut and olive oil Salt pepper and ginger. I do a bone broth and sometimes these geltin gellies I make. So far I see a very very little bit of a difference. Im supposed to be able to add in some fruit next month and some other veggies. I just don’t understand with being this strict how its not in remission yet. I don’t drink alcohol, spicy food or caffeine. The flagyl totally cleared my skin while on it Came back right after. I have spent thousands of dollars on this and am totally depressed. I feel isolated. Could you let me know what you think?

Oh I have low stomach acid and have been doing HCL pills for 3 months. (although I do not experience any symptoms of this). I take Glutiamine powder and a pancreatic enzyme before food. And Low Dose Naltrexone at night for motility.

Thank you so much

Rebecca

ftder
    Participant

Rebecca, from what I have read, people are having results with Rosacea on the Fast Track Diet but 3 or 4 months seems to be a critical amount of time to address skin issues. Once you are certain you are impacting the SIBO, then the inflammation has to reduce and new skin needs to come in. This takes 4 months.

I also find strict Paleo to be very challenging for my mood and energy, and find that Norm’s diet with low lactose dairy, moderate nuts, one serving of fruit (I usually have 1/2 cup berries with my full fat greek yogurt for breakfast) and a bit of Jasmine rice and diverse vegetables and seasonings to be very do-able. Could you give his diet a try for a few months? Also, blending my raw veggies with avocado for one of my meals makes a smoothie and helps with digestability.

Also, are you replacing the gut flora that may have been lost from the antibiotics? And some patience! With low stomach acid and motility, this comes from deep imbalance in the body! Things can come crashing down overnight and take 1 or 2 years to rebalance!

ftder
    Participant

Rebecca, also I am not sure if you read the FTD: IBS book, but moderate caffeine and alcohol are allowed. I tollerate coffee just fine, although I suspect I have some lingering candida overgrowth from taking antibiotics for dental work so I avoid alchohol for now and sugar.

Did you ask your holistic doctor about addressing candida? If you took Flagyl you likely have some fungal candida. Addressing this with a safe candida supplement like SF722 can be helpful.Do a Search on Dr. JEffrey McCombs he has some good information on candida. Candida often goes hand in hand with SIBO.

Also, mind/body connection is importat with impaired digestion. Daily medidation could be helpful or other stress reduction strategies.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Rebecca- I have had great success with the FTD diet and rosacea (both facial & occular). Bearsmom is correct, it did take 3-4 months to begin seeing results on rosacea, and 5-6 months remission stage. I started FTD for LPR (which is now 99% eliminated unless I cheat on my trigger foods which are starchy carbs/grains). I was focused on the LPR, but noticed the improvement in the rosacea, and then family/friends/coworkers started commenting on how good I looked. As with the LPR, if I cheat on the trigger foods the rosacea flares up too. Improvement is a multi-step process. First eliminate the SIBO food source, add back in the bacteria lost from the antibiotics (take a delayed-release probiotic), allow time for gut flora to rebalance and then digestive tract will begin healing. As gut heals, then other body systems will also improve. Drink lots of water, get good sleep, do some form of stress msnagement too.

Jaeme
    Participant

Forgot to add that I take an enzyme for digesting carbs and a mild HCL. Norm’s good advice – chew food until almost liquid to utilize saliva enzymes.

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme, what is the enzyme supplement you take? Eek, no-way is my holistic doctor going to let me take one. (SHe is a chinese medicine doc so she thinks the body must be rebalanced so that it does not need enzymes). Arg, she does not like HCL either. Do you plan to wean off that? Since you are doing so well. HAve you tried? Do you attribute your success on this diet to the supplements? I hope not, because at least for now that is not an option for me. 🙁 I was hoping to make progress through strict adherance to the diet. Thanks for any thoughts!!

Jaeme
    Participant

Enzyme is called Acid Ease (bad name, it has nothing to do with acid, just not as harsh on stomach as ones with protease). It is just amylase for starchy carbs (my only trigger) plus marshmallow root and slippery elm to support stomach healing (mine was stressed from being on acid blockers & Dropping Acid diet). Amylase is in saliva, so ultra chewing helps too. I have cut back on it, but still take it if I am forced to eat grain carbs/starches by daily life (ie- only thing for lunch at a workshop being pizza, etc.) The HCL is called Zypan by Standard Process. Again, trying to be healthy had cut out most salt & all processed foods, but may not have had enough chloride in diet to make stomach acid (and resulting problems from that). Same as above, I have cut back on that and upped my sea/pink salt consumption (and blood pressure is still at 112/68). The biggest thing is finding what your food trigger(s). I am fortunate, its just starchy carbs (lactose, fructose, etc. are fine). When I overdue the starchy carbs, my LPR flares up first and then the rosacea. Cut back, both subside. My Nutritionist used Chinese Muscle Testing for the supplements. My scientific mind was sceptical, but it seemed to be spot on for me, including amounts and when I could cut back/eliminate. Bloodwork showed I was critically low on VitD, and low in zinc & iodine (again, had been using no iodized salt & live in lowest iodine soils region). Supplements where whole-food sourced, not lab created isolates.

Everyone’s gut is unique, but my belief after going through all this is that SIBO is the problem and for me, starchy carbs fed those bacteria and resulted in the acid fumes for LPR and whatever agent causes the rosacea. The FTD diet is the biggest factor in the improvement. I feel & look better than I have in years, and I am 48. Hope you will find it helpful too!

Jaeme
    Participant

A word to everyone – please seek the advice of a health professional who knows supplements (not a store clerk or sales rep) for supervision during use. While supplements have helped many of us here, the DIY approach can be harmful, such as with iodine, etc. I as lucky to find a holistic Nutritionist with a RN & MS in Nutrition who practices with her physician husband, and a GP who is open-minded and not a Rx med pusher.

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme, SUPER helpful.Thanks! I don’t work out of the house so am lucky to not have to be exposed to too much pizza (LOL) or else I bring my lunch (hardboiled egg, avocado, salad, homemade greek yogurt/dill/garlic salt dressing. It is anoying to have to bring my own food but worth it. That makes sense that you might use the enzyme if you were in a situation where you had to eat carbs! I too know I am low in D and I am sure zinc too although I have not been tested for zinc. But with my skin issues I imagine low zinc playing a role. Supplements are so tough for me as my doctor thinks they can work against treatment and create unecessary problems (i.e. if one is low in zinc, does one get to the root of the absorbtion/assimilation of zinc issue, or simply supplement zinc when the body is not ready to use it properly??) this is HER perspective, and she has found her IC patients don’t respond very well to supplements, except often vitamin D is helpful). Just an interesting perspective. It sounds like you have done some careful research and have found a great path. Thanks again for all your insight!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.