Skip to main content

Rice Questions

//Rice Questions
Rice Questions2014-03-09T00:01:51+00:00

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

At a local Asian market, I asked for Sticky Rice, and I was given a package labeled “Super Thai Sweet Rice”, which is what the restaurant next door serves as Sticky Rice. Recipes on the back of the package refer to “sticky rice (glutenous rice)”. Is this the same as Sticky Rice in the FT recipes?

The FT book refers to “brown rice pasta” – is this only “Italian-style” pasta made with brown rice, or also noodles such as Asian-style brown rice noodles?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

The rice sounds like the correct type. You can check – the grains will be short and when cooked it will actually be sticky.
    On the brown rice noodles, there is no simple way to determine what culivar of rice was used to produce it. Best just to just try it with a cautious approach so see if you can consume it without invoking symptoms.

Jaeme
    Participant

The uncooked Thai sweet rice has a very white opaque color to it, as opposed to the uncooked Jasmine that has more of a translucent quality.

If Jasmine rice has a -3 or -4 FP, and Sticky Rice has an FP of 3, is there a reason the FT recipes use Sticky Rice over Jasmine?

Is there a brown rice pasta that you can recommend (what was used in the FP charts)?

goddessrocks
    Participant

I am very happy you are having this conversation…. Thank you Jaeme for being so involved and helpful… I too am wondering which is the sticky rice at the store and since i live here in Hawaii there is alot of sticky rice in restarants… so given all this can I safely say that an evening of eating sushi would be ok? and how much rice is ok?

Jaeme
    Participant

Norm – you mentioned eating sushi. Does the rice cooling in the finished sushi raise the FP? Does the sugar & vinegar added to the sushi rice raise the FP?

Jaeme
    Participant

Found a very interesting article about rice & digestion:

http://drbenkim.com/articles-rice.html

goddessrocks
    Participant

Thank you Jaeme…. very interesting. still waiting to hear about sushi rice especially after cooled down…

Anonymous

Is it ok to have the cooked jasmine rice in soup and reheat it the next day?

Anonymous

Is jasmine rice in soup, ok reheated?

Jaeme
    Participant

FYI – warning about rice after cooking. Never heard of this before….but several articles written by microbiologist and food safety professionals.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Rice-Cooking-Can-Seriously-Compromise-Food-Safety&id=6013250

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.