Skip to main content

Return of Symptoms

//Return of Symptoms
Return of Symptoms2014-05-25T14:52:53+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Return of Symptoms

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm,

I want to ask for some personal advice. I started on the FTD 1.5 years ago, with the goal of eliminating heartburn. I was 16 years old then. I was very pleased to have excellent improvement for 8 months. However, for the next 8 months, up to now, I have had extremely bad issues with constipation and cramping. I used to run 10 miles a day in the first 8 months of using FTD, but now I can’t even breathe without pain, let alone exercise. I don’t have heartburn, but I have bloating, a feeling of fullness, a pain in the lower abdomen that wakes me up at night, and trouble breathing. I am very depressed and have had a horrible 12th grade year because of this.

What could have gone so wrong with my diet? I eat mainly jasmine rice, tofu, meats, and lactose-free milk.
    I am very disappointed and consider switching to low-carb or zero-carb, but my parents really don’t want me to and get mad at me whenever I try it. I feel better on days when I have meat salads for dinner instead of rice, but my parents don’t like it if I eat salad every day.

What should I do?

JI
    Participant

Hi, han. I offer no medical expertise, just my opinion. Perhaps your parents are concerned that you are not getting enough calories by eating salads often. Maybe you can add cheese, eggs, dressing, and other low FP ingredients to your salads to give them extra calories. You may need to go very low carb for a while, meaning limiting or eliminating the rice if it does not make you feel good. Have you seen a doctor for advice? You may have an undiagnosed medical problem that needs attention. The cramping is probably due to the constipation. Drinking lots of water can relieve constipation. As far as exercise goes, have you tried walking? It is good for your digestion and gentler on the body than running. Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

han
    Participant

Thanks so much for your reply and well wishes. I appreciate your support so much.

You’re absolutely right, my parents are concerned about me getting enough calories. I will try to follow your suggestions of adding more things to my salads. Just curious, what kind of low-FP dressings do you use in salads?

Also, I wanted to ask about the cramping and constipation. You’re right, the cramping is probably caused by constipation. I have gotten my colon X-rayed twice and both times the doctor saw evidence of constipation. I try really hard to drink water to solve this, but even drinking 8-16 oz of water every hour doesn’t help. For a few hours after I eat, I usually have a sensation of bloating or fullness, and drinking water on top of that makes it feel worse. Do you have any advice about when/how often I should be drinking water? Should I drink during meals?

Thanks once again for your help and consideration. It really means a lot to me.

Chris
    Participant

“… now I can’t even breathe without pain, let alone exercise…. a pain in the lower abdomen that wakes me up at night, and trouble breathing. I am very depressed….”

I think that you need to see a medical professional in person. The symptoms sound severe enough that you should get tested to rule out possibilities other than your diet. The fact that your first 8 months on the diet didn’t cause these symptoms suggests that something else about your body changed.

JI
    Participant

You are welcome, han. I use ranch dressing, but most should be fairly low FP. Check the label for carbohydrate content. Most dressings do not have much. I drink water around the clock, probably 80 ounces per day; but I don’t know the best drinking pattern. Many people advise not to drink with meals. I don’t have a problem with it. I agree with Chris about you going in to see a doctor. If you don’t want to take medications to relief the constipation, you can consult a nutritionist for dietary recommendations or a naturopathic physician.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Han,
    I agree with the comments above. Checking with your doctor to see if there is anything serious going on. After that, getting to the bottom of things with regard to the constipation is critical. Bloating goes hand and hand with constipation. Low carb / low fiber dieting is often a good tool for this purpose. Hopefully, you parents will understand and support your efforts to address this problem by trying a few dietary changes.

If you need our help, we have a program that walks through some of the common drivers of constipation and relevant solutions bases on your particular situation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.