Skip to main content

Retrograde Resistant Starch

//Retrograde Resistant Starch
Retrograde Resistant Starch2014-08-24T16:44:57+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Retrograde Resistant Starch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey there everyone,

I have a simple question in regards to the fermentation potential of starchy foods that has cooled after being cooked. Is there a way to calculate the change in FP through this scenario? In particular, I am wondering how much the fermentation potential of jasmine rice would go up per serving after it has been cooled after being cooked for the first time.

Lana
    Participant

I would look for the amount of amylose starch in the product. The more amylose, the more resistant starch. Jasmine rice contains approx. 15% amylose starch. Sticky rice contains approx. 1% amylose starch so would form less resistant starch when cold (yay for sushi!)
    Resistant starch also depends on moisture content. You will be getting much more resistant starch from potato flour vs. eating potato salad. If you use leftover starches, try to reheat them in liquid (ie. in a soup) for the least amount of resistant starch.

cmcuk
    Participant

Thanks lana for that last tip – so adding rice to soup to reheat (and add some carbs to soup) might be comparatively low FP! yay!
    (can I ask why this would work, if you know? Thanks)

apolloreflux
    Participant

Thanks so much Lana, that was very helpful!

Lana
    Participant

Reheating starches will definitely reduce the amount of resistant starch. The added water (soup) is my own hypothesis! Maybe Norm can chime in…
    Starches gel when cooked. When cooled, it is the crystallized ‘gel’ that forms resistant starch. So my thinking is that adding lots of water will help re-gelatinize the starch just like adding water to any crystallized product – sugar, salt etc.
    Another point to note, resistant starches are formed more at cold temps. ie. freezing. Frozen bread has higher RS than fresh bread.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.