Skip to main content

Restaurant Suggestions

//Restaurant Suggestions
Restaurant Suggestions2014-03-24T17:05:36+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Restaurant Suggestions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Since we all do have to eat out once in a while due to life’s circumstances, are there any restaurants that have worked for you?

I recently went to an Asian restaurant and was able to eat the Miso soup, some sashimi, a side salad with dressing on the side (ginger dressing, used very little of it), and a sushi roll made of just cucumber, tuna & avocado.

Had a Thai restaurant saute me pork & veggies in just oil (how can you find a sauce that is compatible?) with a side of sticky rice. Of course, they looked at me really strange – the sauces are the point of the food!

Would love to find an Indian food item that works.

Of course at regular restaurants there is always salad – a local place makes a great fresh mixed-green salad with olive oil & balsamic and a side of tuna salad.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Great suggestions Jaeme. We have a local middle Eastern restaurant in our neighborhood that makes a great dish with Beef on a skewer. We order it with with Greek salad and some humus.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks for the Middle Eastern suggestion – lucky to have several Middle Eastern restaurants available here. Was wondering why chickpeas are very high FP, but hummus is ranked as low FP? I would love to have hummus back!

george72
    Participant

If you like Indian food, Aloo Gobi minus the potatoes is a good choice. A restaurant near us will prepare it without the potatoes, so it’s just cauliflower, onions, a small amount of tomato, spices and ghee or olive oil. I just order it with Chicken Tikka, for example, and don’t order the basmati rice or naan.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme, That question has come up before. Look at the serving sizes in the tables. That’s the explanation – there quite different. Without giving you TMI, for me, humus generally registers in large intestinal symptoms, mostly excess gas. I would guess less fermentable fiber types. I don’t overdue it, but it’s good once in awhile and I don’t ever recall having reflux from it.

Jaeme
    Participant

Any suggestions for Mexican? I am thinking just the fajitas (meat & veggies) and skip the tortilla. Have some sour cream and a small bit of guacamole? How to add some FP friendly carbs to this? May have to bring along a snack bag of Rice Chex.

george72
    Participant

Jaeme: for Mexican food here are some suggestions:

Ensalada de Napoles: cactus salad (not sure the FP of cactus but I’m guessing it’s not much different than aloe vera?)

Sopa Azteca: chicken and corn tortilla soup. They usually add the corn tortillas (chips) just before serving, so ask for them not to put them in or ask for them on the side and only add a couple.

Camorones al Cilantro: shrimp sauteed in garlic, olive oil and cilantro. One of my favorite Mexican dishes.

Adobo chicken of beef: sometimes there’s a small amount of sugar added to this sauce, but for one serving, it should be very minimal. Check with the server about ingredients.

Chicken Mole: assuming the chicken is not breaded and fried, this should be ok. Most mole sauces contain some amount of nuts, so if you are sensitive, just have less sauce, or skip this one.

Stuffed peppers as long as the peppers are not breaded.

Jaeme
    Participant

Great suggestions George-thanks! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.