Skip to main content

Rebound SIBO?

Rebound SIBO?2014-03-14T02:04:48+00:00
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Several people have commented that after a few weeks, they have an increase in burping/symptoms (possibly due to gut bacteria adapting to proteins in absence of carbs). I am experiencing some of this, and I have not changed the diet nor increased FPs above 40 or added carbs – in fact, I have gone back to not having any of the white bread from week two (and had not eaten much of it during week two). Any suggestions?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Protein adaptation is a possibility, but the most likely cause is high FP carbs. It takes very few carbohydrates to produce overgrowth and significant amounts of gas. I wish I could say otherwise.
    I wanted to add one more point. If you have SIBO, you are likely not digesting/absorbing even low FP carbs as well as someone without SIBO. In other words, “effective GIs” would be lower and “effective FPs” would be higher for people with SIBO. All in all, you’re better off with low FP carbs vs. high FP carbs, but you might want to limit overall carbs a bit more for a week or so if you have breakthrough symptoms.

Jaeme
    Participant

I may be having issues with the tomato sauce recipes (even though I found a very low 5 carb sauce). Fresh tomatoes do not seem to bother me, but the eggplant lasagna & meatball w/sauce both seemed to. Still not sure on the gluten thing – seems like rice crackers are okay, but English muffin maybe not (and I chewed it to liquid). More trial & error, and more journal entries 🙂

Anonymous

Maybe it was the Tomato sauce in the eggplant lasagna. I also used a low 5 carb brand, but it was so good I also ate 1 1/2 servings. I left out the garlic and only used tiny bit of onion. Your right more trail and error.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I agree. Fresh tomatoes are better as they don’t have added sugar. We also make our own sauce in season. But still, smaller portions are a good rule of thumb if you have any symptoms from it.

Jaeme
    Participant

I make my own sauce too, as I shunned added sugar even before the FT diet. Unfortunately, last summer was extremely wet here and we did not get much produce canned. So I did find two different brand of sauces with no sugar added, the only carbs are from the tomatoes themselves. But sauces are so concentrated compared to fresh tomatoes, both in acids & natural tomato sugars. So I may just lightly saute some fresh chopped tomatoes with some herbs and then toss that with the recipe ingredients.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

“But sauces are so concentrated compared to fresh tomatoes, both in acids & natural tomato sugars”
    Good point. We made sauce yesterday. I added lots of meat, veggies and mushrooms. I have been eating it two days in a row with no reflux – knock on wood.

Jaeme
    Participant

Fingers crossed for you Norm- the two tomato sauce recipes in the book made eating feel “normal” again.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks Jaeme. So far so good, especially since I also ate the chips that came with my lunch out today. Of everything, wheat-based foods catch up to me the fastest. A few days of slipping up and symptoms start to re-emerge. Hardly think of it now as I rarely let it get that far.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.