Skip to main content

Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges

//Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges
Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges2014-03-24T22:33:22+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Resistant Starch Friend or Foe? Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Here is a place to discuss GI challenges linked to potato starch. Also, here is a link to my latest blog on Raw Unmodified Potato Starch (RUMPS) called Resistant Starch Friend, Foe or Lover.

Laura P.
    Participant

About 3 weeks ago I decided to try the potato starch that seems to be very popular right now with many diet bloggers. I started off with 1 TBS per day and worked up to 4 TBS each day. Diarrhea quickly developed, and the more potato starch I consumed, the worse it seemed to get.

I had my last potato starch a week ago, so I was on it for two weeks. I really could not understand why potato starch was causing such a problem. Nobody had mentioned it. (I was taking the unmodified raw potato starch, Bob’s Red Mill, if it matters.) So I did some research trying to understand what had gone wrong, and that led me to this site.

Last week-end I was pretty leery of eating anything at all. I finally had some scrambled eggs with a little sour cream Saturday night. I’ve been avoiding almost all carbohydrates this past week except for sauerkraut yesterday and today. Today was the first day that I have had a solid stool in almost 3 weeks.

I don’t know if I have SIBO or not. I have a history of difficult bouts with diarrhea, but have not had an episode quite this bad in years.

Anyway, I thought I would add this to the conversation as another data point on potato starch. I do wonder if I could get to the point that I could try potato starch again? How would I go about that?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Laura,
    Thanks for posting and sorry, I hadn’t noticed your post before today. I will note your experience in a blog I am close to releasing on raw unmodified potato starch (RUMPS). A number of people have experienced GI side effects on RUMPS, which does not surprise me. People with IBS-D (for diarrheara-predomiant) have an increase of Rumminococcus torques and Lachnospiraceae (these are Firmicutes type bacteria) and Proteobacteria type bacteria but a decrease in Actinobacteria and Bacteroidetes. Resistant starch is known to feed several Firmicutes and some proteobacteria.

You may not tolerate supplementation with RS, at least at those levels. If you do want to try it again, I recommend first limiting all fermentable carbs to under 45 grams/day as recommended in Fast Tract Digestion IBS. Once your symptoms are completely under control, you might try very small amounts, say 1/2 teaspoon and gradually increasing the amount to see if you develop symptoms.

Laura P.
    Participant

I am looking forward to your post on this. I don’t really know what is wrong with me. I’ve discussed it briefly with my doctor but have never really pursued it because I have other health problems that take up most of my time in appointments. My doctor is conventionally trained, so I’m not sure I really want to get too involved with those solutions. I seem to be able to control my problems with disciplined diet.

I don’t know what I will do about the RUMPS. I’m not even thinking about resuming that at the moment. Too scary.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Laura,
    In case you haven’t seen it, here is the new article Resistant Starch Friend, Foe or Lover.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.