Skip to main content

Raw Unmodified Potato Starch – Autoimmune challenges

//Raw Unmodified Potato Starch – Autoimmune challenges
Raw Unmodified Potato Starch – Autoimmune challenges2014-03-24T22:34:47+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Resistant Starch Friend or Foe? Raw Unmodified Potato Starch – Autoimmune challenges

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

There have been recent reports of potato starch worsening autoimmune conditions. Here is a place to discuss the issue and recommendations. Also, here is a link to my latest blog on Raw Unmodified Potato Starch (RUMPS) called Resistant Starch Friend, Foe or Lover.

AussieNana
    Participant

Potato starch has worsened my ankylosing spondylitis symptoms. However I’m not convinced that that is a good enough reason to stop taking it at the moment. I’ve been increasing the PS over the last month, starting with 1tbs for a week, then 2 tbs, up to 5. The worst time was when I upped it from 2 to 3 tbs when I felt decidedly sorry for myself and even considered pain relief. But it was only for 24 hours then settled down again. I’m still not as good as I was before I started taking it, but not much worse.

I can understand that increasing the PS might increase the unhelpful bacteria, and it seems to have been the case with me. But some days are just bad days. I’ve had a reasonable number of bad days this last month. But then I’ve had good days too when I’ve had almost no symptoms at all.

I’m going to trial using tapioca starch and see if that is any different.

AussieNana
    Participant

First tapioca yesterday and no apparent difference so far.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Are you keeping a journal of your experimentation Aussie?

AussieNana
    Participant

I started writing about this in my journal but then gave up. I find the constant self reference very boring, though I know it is helpful when one wants to check up on details. So when I finish here I’ll write it up again.

Back to the tapioca. I gave up after a couple of days as I didn’t feel as good on it as on the PS – a bit of gut distress and almost diarrhoea and I just didn’t feel like coping with it at the time.

The rheumatoid fingers on my right hand are a bit sore at the moment but that might be because I’ve been doing embroidery each day though they haven’t been getting any worse over time on the PS (now 5 weeks). My ankylosing spondylitis has also reduced a lot so the pain and stiffness is just present over the last couple of weeks. So after a bad few days it subsided again – though not quite to the level of pre PS.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I hope your symptoms continue to improve Aussie.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.