Skip to main content

Question for experienced FT dieters and experts

//Question for experienced FT dieters and experts
Question for experienced FT dieters and experts2015-11-07T16:14:46+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Question for experienced FT dieters and experts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone,

My Question.
    Has any FT member experienced long standing fat malabsorption (steatorrhea) and recovered or at least significantly improved by following the FT Diet??

My dilemma is this. Since we need to go easy on high calorie carbs the only other way to make up for the lack of calories is by eating more fats. Yet I have trouble absorbing fats and I know is sounds gross but its not unusual for my stools to float in the toilet and they don’t always want to flush. What do I do??!!!!

I’d greatly appreciate any comments,
    Jeffo

Jeffo
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to add to my last post

Like a number of people I have spent thousands of hours researching and thousands of dollars on all kinds of “miracle” supplements and “cures” ….. I am healthier in some ways but still underweight

My work requires high energy and am having another crack at the FT Diet however, I find the low calorie vegetables, potatoes, small amount of allowable fruits, and jasmine rice although all fine for my gut simply do not provide enough calories or energy for my work demands as a very busy remedial therapist. The other thing is this. Although I respect peoples choices, for a number of reasons I personally prefer not to eat too much meat or fish. So that leaves me with eggs, avocado, coconut products, butter, cream or small amount of nuts and sheep milk yogurt.

I’d greatly appreciate any comments,
    Jeffo

JI
    Participant

Hi Jeffo,

My thought is that you need some more fat to supply calories, but you have the problem you mentioned with fats. Have you tried using a digestive enzyme to help with the digestion of fats? I do not know of any specifically, but maybe someone else can chime in here. A Google search may help. I would try adding whatever type of cheese you can tolerate to eggs. I would include small amounts of avocado since it has a high FP in quantity. Cream and butter would certainly add to your calorie count as would olive oil. Can you tolerate gluten? French bread has a low FP, and is great with butter or olive oil. Lactose free (Breyer’s) or soy ice cream (Trader Joe’s has one) would add to your caloric intake.

Jeffo
    Participant

Hi JI

Thanks for your suggestions and especially reminding me about enzymes.

Yes I have tried using enzymes in the past. Unfortunately, to my surprise, the last powerful prescription pancreatic enzymes didn’t seem to make any noticeable difference. Yet now that I look back, I was on the SCD . . . and probably having too much of the “legal” food (bananas, apples, honey etc.) which I now know are a no no and no doubt these seemingly little things likely perpetuated SIBO and threw a spanner in the works and although I don’t know for sure but this may have also prevented the full effect of the enzyme. After reading your comment I thought it might be worthwhile having another crack at enzymes in connection with a more diligent application of the Fast Tract Diet. I was hoping I didn’t throw the unused enzymes out. I went to my cupboard and rummaged through a large box of dozens of supp’s I no longer use. And yay, I found some.

And you’re right about loading in extra high calorie stuff – I am going to try that again too. Actually already begun and I must say tweaking things that bit more is making a positive difference I can see and feel!!! Early days yet but I’m confident if I balance my gut microbiome, over time the fat malabsorption will take care of itself.

Jeffo
    Participant

Hi Fast Trackers,

I’m happy to say in view of my last post things are fast improving!!

A little over a week ago I re-read some of the positive experiences under the Fast Tract Dieters testimonials. I also read the Amazon reviews of Dr. Wolfgang Lutz’s book Life Without Bread in both German and English. I took note of the ones with people who experienced remarkable recoveries. I noticed they had one thing in common. They ALL, without exception, ate VERY little carbohydrate and starch (less than 72 grams per day) and made up for it by LOADS of protein and particularly loads of fat (butter cream, cheese…….) to make up for the lack of carbs. So it is essentially changing the kind of fuel they used for energy. So armed with Fast Tract FP info I decided to make an even more radical dietary change and further reduce my intake of even low or zero FP foods (both fruit AND low starch veggies). And the result in a couple of days was dramatic.

I’ll specify the improvements in the next post.

Jeffo
    Participant

Here is what I am experiencing

More sustained energy throughout the whole day
    No IBD symptoms whatsoever
    Less constipation or diarrhea despite less fibre
    Better less sallow complexion (less of my typical jaundice look)
    Better overall mood
    Far less need of so much sleep (from 9-10 hours to 6-7 hours!!!)
    And I assume better fat absorption coz things don’t “float” anymore
    (It may be due to the digestive enzyme I reintroduced but I feel it is more the dietary fuel change.

(I am eating much more fat by the way but not fat from meat)

Here’s a MAJOR lesson I learned over the years through much self experimentation

I simply cannot “mix” the two fuels together. I cannot eat carbohydrate-based foods and protein or fat-based foods at the same meal without suffering the awful consequences of IBD. So it’s one or the other.
    If I eat carbs on its own or Fat and protein on its own I’m fine. However obviously one cannot be properly nourished by carbs alone. So fat and protein is in! (I still eat carbs but much less until I am fully recovered.)

So my advice to newbies of the FTD is to be careful, don’t guess but weigh your carbs (at least when beginning the diet) but weigh them.

fanbrits
    Participant

Well yeah, you gotta eat more fats but there are people who has low tolerance to fats, like me. I started experimenting a while ago with diet pills and i have to say it worked out just fine. It’s called phen375, im sure most of y’all hears about it, it’s rather common practice in my local diet circles. And fats problem was gone. So good luck

Julie
    Participant

I can’t figure out how to use this forum, so I am putting this question here. I don’t understand why when I calculate the FP for cream of rice cereal, it is much higher than oatmeal. I would think cream of rice (white) cereal would be a low FP. My husband has more or less silent reflux, not drastic symptoms, so it is harder to tell if the diet is working. He gets ulcers on his esophagus and is weaning off the PPIs. He loves oatmeal, and I’m trying to find another choice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.