Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Question about serving size and FP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello

I was going through the charts in the Fast Tract book and realized that the serving sizes aren’t very specific. Do you weigh the food before or after you cook it, for an accurate FP?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question but, do you only count sugar alcohols and not sugar? In other words, does sugar not affect our digestive systems?

Thank you!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Kristen,
    Good question. For most foods the serving size is calculated prior to cooking. There are a few exceptions, rice for example, refers to a cooked amount. The best practice is to choose the lower FP foods and consume reasonable serving sizes. More care should be exercised when determining the amount of higher FP foods. In no case should you continue to consume food if you’re comfortably full, regardless of the listed serving size.

AndreaS
    Participant

If I may chime in,
    I made a spreadsheet table of the food that I generally eat. Given the GI, net carbs, fiber and sugar alcohols, the calculation of the FP is easy. And having my own table I can put in the precise values of the things I buy where I live which makes quite a difference in some cases. The values in my spreadsheet are all provided per 100g (which is what is provided on the food labels). Then I can easily multiply with the amount of what I eat.

So, yes, either I weigh what I eat (it can be fun, too, to see how far one’s guessing is off;) either before or after cooking, generally before, e.g. also with rice.

That’s because I assume, hopefully correctly, that the amount of carbs of rice doesn’t change much by cooking where we only add water which mostly is absorbed by the rice (contrary to cooking other veggies where water is not absorbed).

About sugar versus sugar alcohols (Norm, tch, tch, how could you miss this important question! 😉 Sugar alcohols (SA) are very different from sugar. SA is more like fiber. It’s practically not digested. Whereas “normal” sugar is half fructose half glucose and has a GI of over 50%. In short, we’d be careful with both but SA often adds even more to the GI. Of course, you can always just calculate it.

jay
    Participant

Hi

Like some others I am also struggling with maintaing and gaining back some lost weight. Several other websites suggest spacing meals 4-5 hours apart when treating SIBO, Norm do you have any guidance on meal spacing? The issue of course is that if I can only eat every 4 to 5 hours the meal sizes have to be rather large to get enough calories in a day. A second question is around fat digestion. Since the FTD is high in fat content do you recommend supplements i.e. digestive enzymes or ox bile especially for those who have had a cholecystectomy?

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.