Skip to main content

Quality of Life features, Rice, and inconsistency

//Quality of Life features, Rice, and inconsistency
Quality of Life features, Rice, and inconsistency2018-09-21T09:08:57+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Mobile App Quality of Life features, Rice, and inconsistency

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m trying to find a type of rice that works for me, and I’ve been experimenting with Jasmine and Sticky Rice, but just because a rice says “Sticky Rice” or “Sweet Rice” or “Jasmine rice” doesn’t mean the advertised ingredients match what’s written in the app.

For instance, I bought Sho-Chiku-Bai Short Grain Sticky Rice, and on my label it says 52g dry rice (1/4 cup) is 180 calories, 42g carbs. 1 cup of dry rice makes about 400g of cooked rice, so 100g of cooked rice is 42g carbs.

On the Fast Tract Diet app, it says a 87g serving of “short-grain glutinous” rice is 18g carbs.

87g of rice is 18g carbs, yet the rice I have is 100g to 42g carbs?

An explanation, or section in the app that gives some famous brands we can use would be immensely helpful. Every brand of Sticky Rice (and many for Jasmine Rice) I look at lacks a nutrition label, I specifically bought this brand because it had one.

Thanks for your time and help with this.

AndreaS
    Participant

It seems you made a small mistake but otherwise it’s all good 🙂 Have a look at the USDA entry for cooked glutinous rice. It lists values for 100g. When you enter “0.87” in the “Value per …g” column you’ll get the values for 87g, and it says 18g carbs.

yet the rice I have is 100g to 42g carbs?

Nope, because as you wrote the label said 52g have 42g carbs.

BTW, food that was cooked is harder to compare because of the fact that water is relatively heavy 🙂 Practically all types of rice have similar raw values (some have more fiber though) of about 350kcal per 100g uncooked rice resulting mostly from 80g carbs (80g * 4kcal/g = 320 kcal, the rest comes from protein, fat + fiber). So, the label of your “Sho-Chiku-Bai” seems correct.

What differs is the cooked result: 100g rice may easily end up as 200 to more than 400g of cooked rice. Different kinds of rice will give different values, however, the differences due to cooking methods and personal preferences may even be larger. The USDA lists
    cooked long-grain rice and cooked short-grain rice with the same calories: 130kcal/100g — which means 100g uncooked rice resulted in 270g of cooked rice. The value for glutinous rice is 97kcal which means the end result of 100g cooked rice was 381g. Compare this with what you got:

1 cup [208g] of dry rice makes about 400g of cooked rice

Roughly, that’d be 200g compared to 381g (unless you actually meant a cup of 100g).

In short, my advice: If possible relate to raw values.

I, too, prefer to buy food with nutrition labels. White rice is an exception, though. The nutrition values, as I said, are always the same within a range of +/- 1g. So, I buy sacks of 20kg from Asian specialty shops where I get AAA quality Jasmine rice (often even cheaper than from all-purpose super markets).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.