Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A protien drink and athletics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am a long distance bike rider and since i’ve had this IBS-D my energy has dropped significantly. I just ordered some sugar free electrolytes which should be here any day so hoping that will help. I’ve on the FTD for 4-6 weeks w improvements however i need more energy!! Any ideas from athletes or anyone is appreciated!
    thank you

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hey goddess,
    I wonder if you could take something like pedialyte or the drink you describe and add a bit more glucose.
    http://pedialyte.com/products/liters
    Water, Dextrose. Less than 2% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, and Zinc Gluconate. PEDIALYTE PROVIDES (PER LITER): Osmolality, mOsm/kg H2O: 250; Sodium, mEq: 45; Potassium, mEq: 20; Chloride, mEq: 35; Zinc, mg: 7.8; Dextrose, g: 25; Calories: 100;

JI
    Participant

It does not sound like the best tasting drink, but could you mix dextrose into water since that is most of the Pedialyte formulation?

goddessrocks
    Participant

I bought some and it’s not bad. They have it flavored. i’ll try it and let you know… thank you so much.

Greer
    Participant

I am a sculptor and work quite physically and often for long hours and I am hoping the energy drop issue will go as my body adapts… After the suggestion in the comments page (after I asked similar question there) about using electrolytes to aid with energy drop, I looked into them and most other than sugar sound horrible. Coconut water has a big write up as the ‘best’ electrolyte but what is coconut water like for FP – I cannot find a GI for it so cannot work out FP but it has a fair bit of sugars Glucose 50% sucrose 35% fructose 15% – is the high glucose high enough to cancel out the rest?

Look forward to hearing the verdict on Pedialyte too!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Greer, Once you have the serving size, you can calculate the grams of each sugar. The FP for glucose is zero, the FP for sucrose and fructose can be calculated based on a GI of 59 and 20 respectively. It may work out to have a relatively low FP depending on the serving size. Post the values here if you want me to confirm.

Greer
    Participant

Thanks Norm, I did not think to break it up like that but of course! I work the FP of the ratios of the sugars in coconut water to be .184 FP/1 gram, there are 9.9 grams of sugar 4.7g + carbs 5.2g combined in 100 ml of coconut water… So does that make it’s total FP 1.8 for 100 ml? which if correct is relatively low.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Here is the info (in grams) needed for 100 mL of the coconut water to do the calculation:
    Total carbohydrates:
    Glucose:
    Fructose:
    Sucrose:
    Fiber (if any):

goddessrocks
    Participant

I love coconut water and would also be curious.
    thank you
    i’ll be trying out my new electrolye replacement today… the pedialyte worked great yesterday and the taste was fine. the flavored ones have sucralose or is it dextrose in them both of which are ok…

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

It would be dextrose. I don’t think they use sucrolose in their products.

Greer
    Participant

for 100 g of coconut water
    Total carbohydrates: 5.2 g
    Total sugar is 4.7 g (I understand that the ratio of sugars G S F 50% 35% 15%)
    Glucose: 2.35 g
    Sucrose: 1.64 g
    Fructose: 0.705 g
    Fiber (if any): 0

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

So what’s the FP? Anyone want to try calculating it?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I get FP = 1.3 grams.

goddessrocks
    Participant

thank you… math wasn’t my best subject…

goddessrocks
    Participant

thank you… math wasn’t my best subject…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.