Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all! I am new to the fast tract diet and I haven’t fully begun it yet, but I am looking forward to finding some relief from my SIBO. My question is regarding protein powders. I am really into fitness, as in powerlifting and body building. This obviously exerts quite a bit of energy and I enjoy my protein powders to get the nutrients and recovery I need. I recently purchased what seems like a very high quality powder (Quest protein powder) and I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on the FP of these types of protein. The ingredients are as follows:

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate), Natural Flavors, Contains less than 2% of the following: Sunflower Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum, Steviol Glycosides (Stevia), Salt, Sucralose

Macronutrients per 28g serving:
    Protein: 21g
    Fat: 0g
    Carbs: 3g

Sugar is said to be zero, but obviously there are sugar substitutes that I don’t know too much about.

ftder
    Participant

Hi the stevia may be a problem because it does not say what the source is and I have read only pure stevia may be tolerated. The gums are not recommended with SIBO from what I have read in other forums. Can you find a protein powder with fewer ingredients? For my daughter I use Jay Robb Brand single ingredient powders like egg white or whey with nothing added. I think some pea protein (extracted from peas but not whole peas) has been reported to be tolerated. Again, without the gums and sweeteners. That would be what I would look for

cbarrett1231
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback bearsmom! I still have a few questions on some of the ingredients since some recipies that Norm suggests in his book use products with these same ingredients. Gums, for example, are in the hot sauce that he suggests using for the buffalo chicken wings.

Water, Cayenne Mash (cayenne peppers, salt, vinegar), Cider Vinegar, Unsalted Butter (milk), Tomato Paste, Worcestershire Sauce (distilled vinegar, molasses, water, sugar, onions, anchovies [fish], salt, garlic, cloves, tamarind extract, natural flavors, chili pepper extract), Brown Sugar, Molasses, Gum Acacia, Xanthan Gum, Dried Garlic, Dehydrated Onion, Spices, Liquid Smoke (water, natural hickory smoke concentrate

Also, some recipes call for Worceshire sauce which typically include xanthan gum.

The other thought I had about the stevia is that stevia tends to be plant based unless their is an additive which is typically maltodextrin or erythritol (both said to be harmless according to Norm). Splenda is what he suggests and that always contains maltodextrin. So, I guess I just have mixed thoughts on whether or not the protein powder could really be a problem for the gut. So much contridicting information that it’s hard to tell what’s what sometimes.

I do appreciate your thoughts! And I’d be grateful for any other feedback you’d like to send my way 🙂

fasttracklady
    Participant

https://healthforce.com/superfoods-rejuvenation/vitamineral-green

Just wonder if this is a good green drink to have.

Thanks for any advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.