Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Probiotic refrigeration & connection between GERD & menstrual cycle

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have two questions that aren’t related:

Next week, I will be traveling in Asia for 3 weeks. Along with following the FTD, I’ve been taking Ultimate Flora delayed release probiotics which require refrigeration. Most of the places I’ll be staying will have a refrigerator, but there will be times including very long flights where I will not be able to refrigerate the probiotics. How long can they be outside refrigeration and still be effective? Should I even bother bringing them, or is there an alternate non-refrigerated delayed release probiotic I can take?

Secondly, and apologies for the TMI, but I think it’s an important topic: do any of the women on this forum experience GERD related symptoms tied to their menstrual cycle/hormone levels? I’ve done some reading about this but haven’t found a lot of solid information. I’ve experienced this and the correlation has seemed strong. At one point, when I took a low dose progesterone/estrogen birth control, I felt I had less symptoms as there was less of a variation in my hormone levels throughout the month.

Thanks very much for any insights.

Kelly
    Participant

I use a probiotic called Healthy Origins that’s stable at room temperature. It doesn’t claim to be delayed release, but it survives stomach acid. I take it with food, as it doesn’t work otherwise.

george72
    Participant

Thanks Kelly, I appreciate the recommendation!

Jaeme
    Participant

I use a shelf-stable probiotic called Probiotic CD by American Health.

As for question #2, I always had IBS symptoms that correlated to monthly cycles, so it makes sense. The links between the gut and hormones and enzymes are being discovered everyday.

george72
    Participant

Thanks Jaeme for the probiotic suggestion and the info about the hormone correlation. I appreciate the insights!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Since encapsulated probiotics consist of freeze dried (lyophilized) bacteria, their stability at room temperature is pretty good – some don’t even recommend refrigeration. I think you would be fine to take just the amount you need for the trip without worry. Just do your best to keep them out of direct sunlight and excessive temperatures.

Lenka
    Participant

Also, as the temperature outside in the common flight altitude is low I would not worry about them if you let them to the carqo space. If you would be worry you can wrap them into newspaper or polystyrene or at least pack them inside the clothes that should help the isolation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.