Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Prescript Assist (Soil Based Organisms and Prebiotics)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am curious about this product. I take a quality probiotic which I believe helps but I’ve been eyeing this one for some time. Here is a blurb about it:

“Prescript-AssistTM is a 3rd-generation combination of 29 probiotic microflora “Soil-Based-Organisms (SBOs)” uniquely combined with a humic/fulvic acid prebiotic that enhances SBO proliferation. Prescript-Assist’s microflora are Class-1 micro ecological units that are typical of those progressively found resident along the healthy human GI Track. And, with more than 5 years in clinical development and testing, Prescript-Assist may assist in restoring levels of gastrointestinal micro-flora compromised from antibiotics, medication, poor diet, stress, and digestive abnormalities.”

My concern is the Prebiotic which is from leonardite, a mixture of humic and fulvic acids which I don’t know a lot about.

Does anyone take this? I wonder if it’s a good idea to include something with prebiotics? Oddly, the GAPS protocol has given it the thumbs up.

More reading: http://www.integratedhealth.com/hpdspec/prescript-assist-probiotic-prebiotic.html

JI
    Participant

Hi, Lana. Chris Kresser recommends Prescript Assist. I think he has lots of good information; but my Naturopathic Doctor did not like the idea of me being on a soil based probiotic. She recommended one by Klaire Labs, pretty expensive at $42 for 60 on Amazon. I started taking Probiotic Eleven by Nature’s Sunshine, about $27 with shipping for 90 on Amazon. I did not notice a change in symptoms with any of them. I take them because I had a bad case of SIBO.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Interesting. I would like humic and fulvic acid more if I were a plant. But the term prebiotic doesn’t make perfect sense to me as this material does not appear to be fermentable – a good thing IMO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humic_acid.
    I haven’t had a chance to evaluate the strains. Hopefully, I will find a little time to do this (if Lana doesn’t beat me to it). When I think of probiotics, I want to know two things. 1) Is there any evidence they will become established as part of my healthy flora. Most don’t become established. 2) Are they strains that I actually want to be have as permanent residents in my gut.

The bottom line IMO, is that we are at the very beginning in understanding or gut microbiota and there are more questions than answers in the benefit of a handful of probiotic strains against the backdrop of a microbiota consisting of up to 1000 species with a huge number of total strains. Most bacteria that are not adapted to the competitive environment of the human gut will be quickly disposed of.

JI
    Participant

So Norm, I believe you saying that in your opinion, most probiotic bacteria does not survive the gut environment. I often wonder if taking probiotics is a waste of money. For everyone that says they are beneficial, there is someone who claims they are not. Like many things gastrointestinal, it is hard to figure out the answers.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks to Norm’s advise, I have scrutinized probiotic labels, and there are a few that have delayed-released/enteric coating to help survive the stomach acid and get into the small intestine.

Norm – I thought I read either in your book or on your site here that Saccharomyces was beneficial for a specific thing, but I can’t find that info now. I found a product that has Saccharomyces boulardii, Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentate, and Larch arabinogalactin. Any info on this?

Lana
    Participant

Norm – you’re funny – “I would like humic and fulvic acid more if I were a plant.” 🙂
    How very interesting that humic and fulvic acids are not fermentable. I just assumed that they were. I wonder if it is the mineral component that is supportive of the bacteria/yeast in the probiotic? As I learn more about fermenting foods at home one of the keys is to give the little creatures enough minerals to grow and reproduce.
    I very much agree with you Norm that there are many unknowns when it comes to messing with the gut microbiota. I think that’s why I’m drawn more to eating fermented foods. They’re teaming with all kinds of beneficial bacteria. It’s such a vast subject.
    I wasn’t planning to research the strains in Prescript Assist – seems like daunting work! You’ve piqued my curiosity though…

JI, thanks for the link to the suggested probiotics from your naturopath. The Klaire Labs formulas look very interesting.
    This is the probiotic I take – again quite expensive http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-11-strain.htm

I actually have noticed a difference. My bowel movements are so much more normal since I’ve been taking it. I know it’s the probiotic as I had a few days of loose bowels when I first started (I tend toward constipation) and then a shift to normal which has remained. Gotta love that!

Lana
    Participant

Hmmm, my post didn’t seem to post. I’ll try it again…

I’m fascinated that the leonardite doesn’t ferment. I just assumed that it would. Makes Prescript Assist more appealing to me.
    I wonder if it’s the minerals in the humic and fulvic acids that support the bacterial stains? As I learn more about fermenting foods, I’m learning that these little creatures need minerals in order to grow and reproduce.

JI, thanks for the link to the probiotics you’re taking. The Klaire Labs formulas look really good. This is the one I’m taking: http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-11-strain.htm
    It has made my bowel movements normal!

Lana
    Participant

I’m fascinated that the leonardite doesn’t ferment. I just assumed that it would. Makes Prescript Assist more appealing to me.
    I wonder if it’s the minerals in the humic and fulvic acids that support the bacterial stains? As I learn more about fermenting foods, I’m learning that these little creatures need minerals in order to grow and reproduce.

JI, thanks for the link to the probiotics you’re taking. The Klaire Labs formulas look really good. This is the one I’m taking: http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-11-strain.htm

Lana
    Participant

I wonder if it’s the minerals in the humic and fulvic acids that support the bacterial strains? As I learn more about fermenting foods, I’m learning that these little creatures need minerals in order to grow and reproduce.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Saccharomyces boulardii may offer some benefit for diarrhea. It’s not for people who are immumocompromised. Both yeast strains – boulardii and cerevisiae can make gas so may cause bloating. Don’t know about Larch arabinogalactin, but arabinogalactin itself is a fermentable fiber, so I would used caution in the amount consumed.

Lana
    Participant

Thanks for the info Norm. Good to know. I’m fascinated that the leonardite itself doesn’t ferment. I just assumed that it would. Makes Prescript Assist more appealing to me.

Lana
    Participant

Thanks for the info Norm. That’s interesting. I’m fascinated that the leonardite itself doesn’t ferment. I just assumed that it would. Makes Prescript Assist more appealing to me.

Lana
    Participant

That’s interesting Norm. Thanks for the info. I’m fascinated that the leonardite itself doesn’t ferment. I just assumed that it would. Makes Prescript Assist more appealing to me.

Lana
    Participant

Thanks for the info on Klaire Labs JI – looks like a quality product.
    So interesting about those yeast strains Norm. I quickly looked up Saccharomyces boulardii and found it advised for Hashimoto’s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.