Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Prelief supplement

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Lana
    Participant
    Post count: 31

    Another source for the kefir grains is Cultures for Health. They have the milk grains and the water grains. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/starter-cultures/kefir-cultures.html
    I just participated in a kitchen party on fermenting today so this post is timely. I tried several water kefir recipes and they were quite delicious. I have never made kefir and being the perfectionist that I am I have to learn everything about it before taking the plunge. Something I’ve learned about water kefir (eg. using coconut water or sugar water) that has my brow furrowed is that the bacteria/yeast eat up most of the glucose in the sugar but leave a measure of fructose. What I’ve read is that 80% of the sugar will be eaten by the bacteria/yeast. The remaining 20% of the sugar is fructose which is why the beverage tastes sweet.
    It doesn’t look like you can use all glucose to make a water kefir as it will cause an imbalance in the bacteria/yeast medium. A ratio of 1 part glucose to 2 parts sucrose seems to work well. I’ll be looking into this some more!
    To note: each 8 oz. of water requires 1 tbsp. of sugar to make water kefir which means just over 1/2 tsp. of pure fructose remains in 1 cup of the fermented beverage.

    Norm Robillard
    Keymaster
    Post count: 438

    Great post Lana. I had no idea that much of the sugar is converted to fructose. Definitely important to know for FP estimation. I also found their link interesting on the variety of probiotic strains included in the kefir grains. http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

    Lana
    Participant
    Post count: 31

    Yes, that’s what makes the ‘grains’ more interesting than the powdered culture which only contains a few strains of probiotic.
    As promised, I continued looking and am still not at the bottom of it. 🙂
    I found this site that has more scientific information as well as offering test strips to test the remaining sugars left after a ferment.
    http://www.happyherbalist.com/residualsugartestkit.aspx

    We just have to find our ‘Norm’ of the kefir world and all the answers about kefir will be ours!

    Norm Robillard
    Keymaster
    Post count: 438

    Maybe that kefir world someone is you Lana. Great link. I saved it in case I try making some.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.