Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Prelief supplement

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I agree with all of your thoughts. Tell me more about this one broth. I made homemade chicken soup for dinner last night (it was delicious BTW). I used 3 large chicken breast (bone-in) to make my broth along with two boxes of liquid broth. Is this what your talking about or is there something that Im missing? And do you use just the broth and forgo other things in that meal? What do you mean by “it’s so healing”? Is it healing inflamed stomach tissue or does is just settle the stomach if you’re having GERD symptoms?

goddessrocks
    Participant

Hi MC, i’m going to give you some links to read on bone broth… I use grass fed beef bones that I get from our local country store here.. i bought one on mainland at whole foods and it looked like they washed it and it was not very good at all…here i get a bag of bones some with beef parts still on in about a 6 pound bag for 4$

here’s another
    http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth-tutorial/

you can find tons of information… I use a crock pot and let it slow cook for 2 days… i prefer the beef broth but that’s all preference. in the FODMAP diet they recommend drinking 2-3 cups a day to stART out and they say it’s IMPORTANT!! so there you have it.. good luck let me know how it goes.. the apple cider vinegar I would use (braggs) is super important as it helps leach all these great mineral out of the bones and also supports the creation of the gelatin.

happy wednesday…

mchurch314
    Participant

Hey Goddessrocks….awesome information!! I will go through these website in great detail. I know the “bag of bones” that you are referring too. I used to get them for my dog. They are usually about 4-5 inches long and they cost about $4 bucks. I’m learning what I should have learned 8 years ago instead of depending on the Nexium. Thanks and be well.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

MC,
    “My sister said that her doctor told her not to take enzymes because your body will quit regulating your natural enzyme production”
    Interesting concept and makes biological sense. Even bacteria have feedback loops to stop them from producing excess enzymes. You body will do the same thing. I would think that if you stopped the enzymes, your body would be triggered to produce them again, but there could be a short delay as your body re-adjusts.

I notice Chris Kresser has an good article on Kefir. http://chriskresser.com/kefir-the-not-quite-paleo-superfood

mchurch314
    Participant

Thanks for the link Norm! I briefly reviewed it and then saved it to my favorites for future reference. And I agree with your thoughts related to a body readjusting to the lack of ingested enzymes. The body will need some time to recognize the deficiency and ramp up its own production. I wish I was faced with the same thing as it relates to my pending discontinuation of Nexium. I’d rather my body slowly ramps up the acid production instead of doing a massive acid dump until it figures out the right balance. Such is life.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Some people don’t get acid rebound, others do. It’s possible the the rebound is not from more acid but more severe SIBO promoted by the lack of stomach acid while on the PPIs. But either way, best to be on low FP foods when you do wean off.

mchurch314
    Participant

Maybe I’ll be one of the lucky ones (no acid rebound). I will heed your advise and make sure that I am consuming low FP foods. I may even ask the doctor for a script of Erythamiacin to clear out the bacteria (good and bad) while replacing the good bacteria via my ongoing therapy of probiotics (ie. Kefir, probiotics, etc.). This should solve the problem of a more severe SIBO issue.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Goddess, Thanks for the bone broth info. Save the recipe link.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t recommend asking for erythromycin, a powerful broad-spectrum antibiotic, MC. The few probiotics strains in products like kefir can’t begin to make up the complex microbiota in your gut. It’s the antibiotics that often cause the problem to begin with or make it worse. JMO.

goddessrocks
    Participant

I agree with Norm on NOT going with the anibiotics…. that’s what got me in this predicament in the first place.
    And thanks Norm on the article on Kefir… some store bought ones have cane juice in them… is that a problem?..

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I believe cane juice is just liquid sucrose. You would just calculate the FP as you would for sucrose but you need to know the actual amount which should be listed on the label.

mchurch314
    Participant

Norm/Goddessrocks..I guess I’ll avoid the antibiotics to jump start my “healing”. Antibiotics are likely what got me in this jam to begin with. I had a lot of dental surgery done over the last 6 months and was prescribed Clyndamiacin as well as another that I can’t remember. So I was on antibiotics for about 20 days or so. It wasn’t long after that that I started noticing GERD type symptoms (ie lump in throat, etc.). Maybe it was the cause. Certainly don’t want to start that cycle all over again if they were the culprit.

Regarding the Kefir, I just bought my first bottle (thought I would try this before trying to make my own). I bought a brand called; Lifeway. It is unsweetened but it still shows 12G of sugar in the Nutrition label. When I look at the ingredients it does not indicate sugar, care, fructose or any other kind of recognizable sugar. It is basically just cultured milk and a couple of vitamins (D and A) so I don’t know where the sugar comes from unless milk naturally has sugar in it. The label says that it has 12 live and acive cultures in it. I plan on starting a daily regimen of 4oz in the AM and another in the PM. Thanks guys!!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

For FP, if you don’t know the sugars, a rough estimate can be done assuming GI of about 50. You would add about 6 grams of FP.

I wonder, if you make your own kefir, where do you get the starter culture?

goddessrocks
    Participant
    Jaeme
    Participant

The best kefir is made from fresh starter “grains” (live cultures) from an active batch of kefir. You can order these grains from this website (ordering under the Prices tab). Good info on how to do kefir at home:

http://kefirlady.com/home.html

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.