Skip to main content

Potential Low Stomach Acid

//Potential Low Stomach Acid
Potential Low Stomach Acid2015-01-29T17:21:19+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Potential Low Stomach Acid

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear Norm,

I read all the great reviews about your book and just ordered one yesterday. I am looking forward to read it and start the diet, but I do have a question.
    A little bit about my issues. I started experiencing bad sore throat, chest burn, back pain, burn in the throat about 7 weeks ago after a hospital stay for a cardiac issue (nothing major, PVC that the doctor said should not worry me). Initially I was prescribed a course of antibiotics, combined with some steroid medication. Finished taking all of them about 3 weeks ago. Since then I had a tracheoscopy and endoscopy to check for potential fungus infection from the antibiotics or acid reflux. The tracheoscopy came back OK while the endoscopy showed very mild inflammation of the oesophagus and stomach. The GI doctor that performed the procedure put me on PPI after the procedure but I saw no improvement after 10 days. I then followed up with my GI doctor and he said that the minor inflammation is not caused by acid reflux, but most likely to the medication I’ve been on for the last 6 weeks (including 20 days of various antibiotics). He thinks that my symptoms are caused by anxiety, but the pain is real and I was not able to have any relief from it for the last 6 weeks. Yesterday I decided to see a ND and she thinks that I might actually have low acid and that’s why I am not responding to antacids. She put me on some digestive enzymes, probiotics and the DaVinci GI benefits. She also suggested the D’Adamo diet.
    My question is, would the fast track diet work for low acid as well?
    Thanks for your help! I am getting to the point of desperation and would like to get some relief from this pain!

49barefoot
    Participant

Low acid can certainly contribute to SIBO, which can cause the problems! PPI’s will just make it worse. It can’t hurt to try the diet, very strictly for a couple of weeks, to see if it helps. Also, take slippery elm lozenges and DGL to help with the pain, and start drinking real bone broth as recommended by the GAPS diet and Weston Price. If the problem is SIBO, the probiotics can make it worse.

I had asked my G.I. doc’s to test for low stomach acid, but they refused, and don’t have the equipment for it.

49barefoot
    Participant

Also, the throat pain can be helped by chewing gum, as it keeps the saliva flowing.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Chicago Mom – I agree with what Barefoot said. I do take a mild HCL product called Zypan and a digestive enzyme for starchy carbs (my issue which the FT diet helped me figure out). I used to have severe LPR, and the acid blocker RX and Dropping Acid diet the traditonal doctor put me on made the condition much worse. I encourage you to try the two-week FT diet, and then as you try adding back in foods you should figure out what foods are bothering you. I also worked with a Nutritionist who did muscle testing to figure out the doses of the HCL and digestive enzyme.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Chicago mom, Yes, the diet is a good choice for both acid and non-acid reflux because it works by stopping reflux itself by limiting the growth of gas-producing bacteria.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Chicago mom, Yes, the diet is a good choice for both acid and non-acid reflux because it works by stopping reflux itself by limiting the growth of gas-producing bacteria.

fitnesspt
    Participant

I am new here and have a question. I have been following a SIBO protocol for around 3 months now with what I have learned from your book (which I love!) as well as supplements. Things were going well up till around 2 weeks ago and the heartburn has returned full force. The only thing that changed was I started drinkng coffee. So I am cutting that back out. My question is about digestive enzymes. Is there a better time to take these? I take HCL at the beginning of a meal and then digestive enzymes about 30 minutes (have read numerous sources to take the enzymes 30 minutes after meal). I am starting to wonder if I should take the enzymes differently. I have tried to lower and raise the amount I am taking but that didn’t change anything. Thanks so much for your input!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.