Skip to main content
pepsin2014-07-31T20:21:32+00:00
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

firstly if this is not FTD enough do please take it down, but has anyone else com across the idea the pepsin is the problem here (yes reflux, but the LPR damage relates to pepsin in the tissues?). I came across this and wondered about people’s thought on it. The diet is working pretty well for me – very little heartburn behind the sternum but still a red sore throat 7 weeks on…..(maybe it takes that long or longer?). you can test for the pepsin apparently in saliva – though what you do then I am not sure! Interested to hear others thoughts (but also appreciate this may not be FTD enough as a post?)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3754770/
    http://www.fauquierent.net/lpr.htm

Interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.
    thanks

JI
    Participant

Thanks, cmcuk. Your post is relevant to many of us. I have nonacid reflux and suspect that pepsin is involved as my doctor said she did not see bile when she did an endoscopy. Many people on this forum have discussed drinking, gargling with, or inhaling the steam of high alkaline water. Norm made the alternative suggestion of drinking or gargling with tap water with the addition of 1/4 tsp of baking soda added instead. The articles are interesting. In my opinion, any topic that has to do with digestion is appropriate to post.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I agree completely JI and cmcuk. Please feel free to post any and every idea for improving digestive health on this site. Pepsin is actually mentioned in my second article on GERD about H. pylori and low stomach acid.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi All – pepsin is suppose to be the culprit with LPR, either splashed up in a forceful type of reflux or in vapors. The mainstream medical doctors and the LPR “experts” treatment for this is to put you on PPI’s and other acid block medicines and a diet of foods that (as Norm’s research shows) causes gut bacteria fermentation (so made my LPR much worse – I had no heartburn, only very inflamed larynx/pharynx/sinuses). Pepsin is supposed to be the culprit, but what is the cause of it? I think Norm has the answer. Thanks to FTD, probiotics, fermented foods, etc. I am 99% LPR-free, and back to eating almost anything (but sticking to majority of FTD foods, not counting points anymore though). At beginning of healing I did use alkaline water & DGL to help neutralize throat. Hang in there, LPR takes a lot longer to heal due to the pepsin and the more delicate nature of throat tissues (no protection or tolerance to stomach acid or pepsin). My journey to 99% normal (100% unless I really overdo it on trigger foods) took 5-6 months.

Jaeme
    Participant

P.S. – something I haven’t mentioned in any of my previous posts is that I added a lot of tumeric to my diet (suppose to be good anti-inflammatory). Maybe that is helping with throat inflamation? I add it to smoothies, omlets, rice, soup, just about any dish. Keep the good questions and suggestions coming- this forum has been such a great help to so many. Best wishes cmcuk & everyone!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Wow Jaeme, Your progress is astounding! Thanks so sharing your experience on the forum.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thank you Norm! I hate to think where I’d be if I hadn’t found your forum & FTD. Kudos to you for going out on a limb to find the real reason behind these digestive problems and the courage to go against the mainstream.

cmcuk
    Participant

Thanks so much for the response to this thread! The test I mentioned is fairly new – http://www.rdbiomed.com/peptest/resources/ – but does seem to some mainstream evidence base. I am aiming to do it to check.
    The alkaline stuff I am pleased to hear other people mention, as so much about alkaline stuff is about diet and does not seem to be based on good science. If you are in the UK there is saka mineral water (8.2ph) in the 99p shop at the moment. quite cheap! keen to hear any other thoughts from people.
    Really pleased to hear from Jaeme that it took 5-6 months to heal (hope you get what I mean) – this helps with my impatience!
    I value this forum SO much! thanks C

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi cmcuk- I know exactly what you mean, I felt much better when I read somewhere that LPR takes longer (6 months average) to heal. Disappointed, but more patient and hopeful 🙂 On the alkaline water, sip it or gargle it, but don’t chug it as your main water source especially with meals (tempting, but you need some acid in stomach to reduce fermenting food). Oddly, I am now taking a Betaine HCL product that has some pepsin in it with no problems- my LES valve has strengthened and foods are digesting well- and no LPR.

fsdfgdfghdfg
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.