Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A On restricted FTD but still having problems ~

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,

Glad to meet you all but very sorry that poor health is the common denominator through which we become acquainted.

Dr. Norm and I have agreed SIBO and dysbiosis are the main contributors to my symptoms of GERD, LPR, inability to gain weight, stomach burning/bloating, and too much burping.

I am a little over a week into a stricter, more regimented version of FTD. This is basically a keto diet; so, what I’m eating is meat and veggies: no nuts, fruits, grains, starches, sugar, etc.

I’m a little perturbed as I am still having symptoms. Sometimes I finish a meal and immediately I have LPR symptoms and burning of stomach/abdomen. Other times I feel fine for an hour then heartburn hits and stays for 24 hours….It seems arbitrary; however, I know it’s not.

I have yet to test my stomach acid levels officially but I have experimented with betaine HCl in the past as well as digestive enzymes with little success.

On vegetables:
    • In my own body, I have found that a unique trigger for me is fiber. I am a little paranoid too eat too much fiber throughout my diet of veggies and meat…so my diet is still further restricted. I’m talking one stick of celery and I’m ruined for the rest of the night. Of course this means that some bacteria in my gut ferment this insoluble fiber (maybe soluble as well?) and turn my stomach into a hot air balloon. I believe it is taboo to say that fiber is an aggravator of GI issues, but, for me, fiber exacerbates and does not mitigates.

Meat/fats:
    Perhaps my body is just adjusting but even with limiting the amount of fiber (even avoiding many of my previously taken supplements because they contain cellulose) I STILL have symptoms with meals that comprise of fatty fish and a small salad or other fat-heavy meals…

So this leads me to ask:

1. Does anyone else have fiber-maldigestion/absorption? If so what helped? (I would avoid it but it is in so many vegetables…)
    2. Could fat-maldigestion/malabsorption be a component as well? Does anyone else have issues?

I just bought an ox bile supplement to see if it helps with fat digestion, so I will try that. Dr. Norm says I should have the proper enzymes according to my tests; again, I have yet to test for stomach acid.

Thank you all ~

AndreaS
    Participant

Please excuse that I’ll keep my reply short. We might very well have similar issues. Fiber (mostly the insoluble kind) is what causes most of my symptoms. However, my advice for you:
    “A little over a week” is too short, relax, stick to the diet and keep a log of what you ate and the symptoms. Yet, if symptoms get worse change the diet composition and/or consult with Norm.
    “Sometimes I finish a meal and immediately I have … symptoms”: Note that these symptoms generally are not caused by what you just ate but by what you were eating up to 2-3 days before. This is very important and helps to stay calm 🙂 The trigger is eating itself (or other activity like drinking, sports, stress), it rarely is a particular type of food with the exception of stuff that is for instance super acidic (and maybe too acidic for healthy people, too) or for people who are allergic (but people who are know in advance).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.