Skip to main content

New to group

New to group2015-09-13T17:12:17+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello! I am so excited to have found this group. About 5 years ago I was shocked for my doctor to diagnose me with GERD since I had never had heartburn. I got on PPIs but wanted off after I began to research them. Over the past 5 years I’ve tried just about every natural, dietary, and pharmaceutical method out there to control my symptoms but have had very little sucess and my condtion just seems to be progressing for the worse. I know that I have LPR even though I’ve never been diagnosed with it…all my symptoms are in the my throat. The constant discomfort is driving me to consider the surgery but I have my misgivings and am not even sure if it’s recommended for LPR. Anyway, I am going to give the FT diet a try. I’ve skimmed the book and can’t tell if my gluten-free brown rice flour products are okay or not? Also, I have to say that I am so glad to hear about the myth of trigger foods. I have never felt that coffee or wine were in any way related to my symptoms and now I can have them guilt free :). Anyway, I am excited to learn more.

JI
    Participant

Welcome, Jsbarnes! The fast tract diet helped me immensely. I was so frustrated when the doctor put me on Nexium, and it did not do me one bit of good! I always felt it was harming me. My diet was so limited, I lost a ton of weight, and my symptoms would not abate. I went into a state of depression. Reading Norm’s book gave me a great deal of hope.

I know that my LES opens freely at will (doctor saw it during my endoscopy), and in the past, the surgical options have been very scary. The side effects seemed worse than the actual problem that the surgery was supposed to fix. One promising procedure is called Endostim, and it is done in other countries. The operation is not FDA approved in the United States yet, and I think it is a few years down the road in this country. It does not alter your anatomy, but is an electrical impulse, somewhat like a pacemaker for the heart, that makes the LES function properly. I hope you find success in managing your symptoms! You have come to the right place for help.

Jsbarnes
    Participant

Thank you! I have also dealt with fighting depression over this condition in addition to trying to manage the condition itself. Norm’s book has given me some hope and it makes more and more sense the more I read it. I’ve believed for a long time that conventional ideas about reflux are solely lacking. After 3 days of imperfectly following the diet my bloating has diminished and my throat is swollen but not as sore. I was using betaine and enzymes successfully a few years ago but for some reason it stopped working but am going to try again with small doses at first. I’m seeing my GI this week and I know he’s going to push surgery but I am like you…The side effects don’t sound very appealing. I wonder if he knows about this new procedure? Thanks again!

JI
    Participant

I have overcome the depression, and am in a place of joy. My symptoms are mild compared to how they were in the past. I believe that the body truly tries to heal itself, and a good outlook on life helps it happen. The right diet does not hurt, either! My symptoms started after a series of stressful events, the most traumatic being that my 14 month old puppy was hit by a car and died two days before Christmas two years ago! My former dog had died just a year before, at age 11, due to cancer. Currently pour my energies into having fun, loving my current dog, and embracing the love and joy of having good family and friends. I hope that you find your healing journey. Keep the faith, things will get better!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.