Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A New research says Norm is correct!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for the link Jaeme and your vote of confidence. So many of our health issues tie into the gut. Now teasing it all apart is the challenge. I have been pouring over all the microbiota research lately trying to figure out how the findings all fit together. One thing the article missed is the connection of asthma, obesity and many other health issues to acid reflux. 80 percent of people with asthma have acid reflux. And loss of some virulent strains of H pylori actually makes acid reflux and esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus) worse – potentially explaining the H. pylori link with asthma.

Jaeme
    Participant

Found this passage in an article about gut bacteria:

“People who eat a lot of meat and fat tend to have guts dominated by “Bacteriodes”, and vegetarian guts are dominated by “Prevotella”. One small study suggested that belly bacteria changed in just 24 hours when people switched from low-fat/high-fiber to high-fat/low-fiber diets”.

The article argues that “Bacteroides” is less good for you than “Prevotella”.

Anonymous

I read that somewhere and was so confused by it. So is it saying we should all be vegetarians? since they produce the prevotella

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

It’s easy to jump to conclusions, but some of these studies actually contradict each other. I would not be too quick to jump on the Prevotella bandwagon since Prevotella copri has been linked to rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/november2013/11252013arthritis.htm

Jaeme
    Participant

I was more interested in the quick change in gut bacteria based on foods we eat 🙂 Whenever an article argues pro one thing or another, I always use caution. Many studies, as you have pointed out Norm, are observational based on one criteria only (and do not take in other factors of the participants’ lifestyles, etc.)

Jaeme
    Participant
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.