Skip to main content

N-acetyl glucosamine

N-acetyl glucosamine2014-03-14T21:09:33+00:00
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m not sure where to put this post as it touches on ‘the big picture’ rather than just a subset… perhaps we need a ‘GUT – the big picture’ forum!
    I’ve been researching again…
    It’s rare I get excited about something working. But I’m excited! I’ll try to keep this succinct.
    Many of us, especially those with IBS, have problems with sulfur containing veggies – onions, broccoli, etc. In reading about Neurotoxin Detoxing, I came across a strategy to re-regulate sulfur metabolism. Sulfur is important as it’s one of the most important detox minerals. The 2 supplements suggested were Molybdenum and N-acetyl glucosamine. In looking up N-acetyl glucosamine many comments about it were geared toward gut healing:

“In humans, N-acetyl glucosamine couples with glucuronic acid to form hyaluronan, a major protective polymer found in joints and responsible for cushioning the grinding of bones against one another. In addition, N-acetyl glucosamine can be found in the mucosal layer of the gastrointestinal tract.”

“Within one week this formula helped symtems of IBS I’ve suffered with for years.”

“My MD recommended this for my leaky gut protocol.”

My question is about it’s fermentability and absorption rate as it’s purported to be a pre-biotic. This is what I’ve found: “N-acetyl glucosamine is a monosaccharaide that is also related to glucose. However, unlike that simple sugar, N-acetyl glucosamine is not really a sugar but belongs to a class of compounds called amides although it is commonly described as a carbohydrate.”

What I’m excited about is I think I may have found my missing piece of the puzzle. You know when you get those feelings… 🙂 I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, can’t take MSM, can’t drink wine as I sneeze EVERY time, I bloat for days when I eat onions and broccoli… As I get older my symptoms are worsening. I now have the label of Fibromyalgia. Could sulfur malabsorption be playing a part??

Molybdenum and sulfur are intimately linked and Molybdenum ‘deficiency’ has been sited for sulfur sensitivity. The protocol is to use a chelated Molybdenum supplement for a couple of months before reintroducing sulfur. If anyone wants to try this, be sure to take the Molybdenum away from other minerals as other minerals will compete with it for absorption. If you’d like to do more reading on the link between Molybdenum and Sulfur: http://community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/43901/29260831/?liveView=1
    (not a scientific paper).

I’m not usually excited about these kind of reports preferring to follow a ‘big picture’ protocol of healing – but I have a feeling!

So if anyone can give me more info about N-acetyl glucosamine regarding fermentability and absorption rate, I’d love to know more.

I will keep you posted with my findings as start and progress with this protocol.

Cheers,
    Lana

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good post Lana. Another supplement combo for leaky gut is L-glutamine, zinc and N-acetyl cysteine based on its use for CFS. Interested in your research on this.
    Maes M1, Leunis JC Normalization of leaky gut in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is accompanied by a clinical improvement: effects of age, duration of illness and the translocation of LPS from gram-negative bacteria. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2008 Dec;29(6):902-10

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks for posting Lana – very interesting! Hope it works, keep us posted 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.