Skip to main content

My Whole30 journey/challenge

//My Whole30 journey/challenge
My Whole30 journey/challenge2014-03-28T17:53:19+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD My Whole30 journey/challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am on day 12 of the Whole30, a 30-day commitment to eating no grains, dairy, soy, or added sugars in any form and nothing with certain additives. I am doing this because of the feeling of inflammation in my throat. I am hoping it helps. I have modified the diet to keep my overall FP low. For instance, the diet allows yams, a very high FP diet item. Coconut milk, olive oil, occasional handfuls of nuts, and coconut oil have been my friends. I even had to buy a powdered DGL, as mine had dextrose, a sugar no-no. So far, I have not lost weight, a good thing. I am struggling, though…it’s tough. My hubby continues to eat and drink everything under the sun and moon and I’m amazed that he has no digestive issues. Am I jealous, yes, but I would never wish my woes upon him.

JI
    Participant

Also, no alcohol…missing that glass of wine with dinner, my lactose-free ice cream, and jasmine rice!

Jaeme
    Participant

Wow JI, that’s really strict. It must be really tough, as I know how hard it is just to manage the FT (since I screwed up and went too low on carbs). I hope it works for you- cheering you on! See my post on the keeping weight on for what the nutritionist said.

Anonymous

JI how are you doing on the whole 30?I decided to give it a try since I was pretty close to already eating that way. Thanks for posting about whole 30.I’m still looking for the magic bullet that will stop my postnatal drip. A lot of my supplements have soybean oil in them so I’m looking for alternatives. I’m still keeping my FB low like you.the other thing I want to thank you for is telling us about native forest coconut milk. I look forward to my 2 tbs in my coffee every morning. I do miss stevia in my coffee. The only other thing the coconut milk has in it is guar gum, which they say is Ok. On native Forrest website they said guar gum is only 1%. I hope your throat is better.

Paula
    Participant

JI how have you been doing on your whole 30 journey/ with overall FP low. Wondering if it healed your throat issues. I might give it a try just don’t know if I can give up my stevia in coffee.

JI
    Participant

Thanks for asking, Paula. I am nearing the end but I don’t think the diet benefited me much. I am still having the throat issues. I think maybe I am ingesting too much coconut milk, olive oil, and nuts in order to get enough calories. I do not need to lose weight. I am missing the red potatoes, jasmine rice, and French bread that I am allowed on the FT diet. The doctor who is filling in for my Gastroenterologist to going to write orders for me to have a manometry to check LES function and ph test. She wants to figure out if GERD is truly the issue.

Paula
    Participant

I’ve been researching the guar gum in the coconut milk that I drink, native Forrest it’s only 1%, seeing mixed reviews on it. Some people with IBS have reported gas and bloating. I haven’t noticed those symptoms but not sure if it is related to my LPR symptoms. I would hate to give it up love it in my coffee. Wonder what Norm thinks about guar gum?

JI
    Participant

Paula, I bought some coconut milk in boxes from Amazon. The brand is Aroy-D and the only ingredient is coconut milk. It’s not lumpy like the kind with guar gum.

Paula
    Participant

Thanks I’ll give it a try. Since I’m 2 hrs from whole food, I also have to buy from amazon.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi JI- so sorry to hear the 30 day diet did not help your throat mech 🙁 I think the enzymes & supplements my nutritionist presribed are helping quite a bit. I mentioned them on one if the posts here. Have you tried anythinf like those yet?

JI
    Participant

I have tried a lot, Jaeme…getting so discouraged! The doctor I’m trying to see is booked through July. What exactly are you using, Jaeme? Thanks for your concern.

Paula
    Participant

Ok correct me if I’m wrong but I have a special page in my notes that’s called the “What Jaeme’s doing” I feel like most of us have stopped our Gerd now with the fast track diet, but maybe we’re always going to have the damage from the the LPR. Maybe Norm will heal all us LPR people some day.:)
    That’s the reason I’m following Jaeme so closely to see if all the supplements work for her.
    She’s on
    Multi digestion enzymes
    Gastrazyme
    Drenamin
    Marshmallow root
    Slippery elm
    Magnesium citrate
    Vit D emulsion
    Prohibitions
    I’ll be interested to know if it stops post natal drip, mucus and hoarseness

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Gang- Paula, your “Jaeme page” cracks me up! Hopefully its not the blind leading the blind. Your list above is mostly correct, except add DGL chewables by Natural Factors and prohibitions should be probiotics (although there are lots of prohibitions on this diet, ha ha). The Multi-enzymes are by Original Medicine. Also plain kefir.

I am on the Vit D due to very low blood levels of D. Thanks to northern cloudy climate and the worst winter on record here with Polar Vortex. The Drenamin is adrenal support due to stress of this LPR and other things going on.

Seems to be helping. I ate 15g./.5 oz. dry weight sprouted oatmeal this morning- so far so good. Right now the only LPR symptoms I have are some slight nasal stuffiness and just a little pnd.

JI
    Participant

My last day of the Whole30 was today. I had no benefit from the program. Tomorrow I start back on the Fast Tract diet. My gastroenterologist recommended that I get a Ph test and manometry done to see if I really have GERD. She thinks it is peculiar that I did not respond to any PPI’s. I look forward to getting these tests done so I can find out what is wrong and move on with my life.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi JI- Sorry to hear you had no improvement from your 30 day challenge 🙁 I hope your tests reveal some answers. Seems these conditions we have are complete mysteries.

As for my update, I am doing well on the supplements except for the Multi-enzyme which may be too strong on Protease (supposed to be hard on irritated stomachs). I am checking on a product called Acid Ease, which is enzymes for sensitive stomachs and has no protease.

My LPR is mostly under control, and I am out of ketosis and putting a little weight on. Just trying to expand my FT menu, as I eat very similar foods each day and worry about enough nutrients. I have been fortunate with keeping constipation at bay by taking 200mg. tablet of magnesium citrate at bedtime, eating lots of greens, and drinking at least 2 quarts of water per day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.