Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR LPR still persistent due to trigger foods and dairy items?!

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Bocote, how did you know which supplements to take, and how much? I’m not getting much help from doctors with all this. I know my Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 are on the low end. I think supplementing with those vitamins might have made my mucus worse, but I’m going to try again. It’s so hard to pinpoint what causes my symptoms.

Cme
    Participant

Hi

Did you get an answer to your question? I too would like to know how to measure a reaction to a certain food. Do you know instantly i.e. after eating that it’s causing LPR or can it take hours? Or to make matters even more complicated, is it a case of both 🙂 ? I had two slices of cheddar cheese this morning and felt myself refluxing into my throat an hour later? Or was it the smoothie with the yoghurt in it? (Both from the FTD meal plan for Day 1).

bocote
    Participant

Patience: Listening to Doctors here only caused me more suffering – I had never had any major health issues before the LPR so I was not experienced with how to use doctors and other research. I’m not saying to avoid going to doctors, but do your own research and run it past your doctor and go from there.

Without going into too much detail. When I was having all of the symptoms of LPR I was desperate so I tried a number of things right off. I got better slowly, but was still having problems and would wake up with a sore throat for stretches and my voice was regularly weak. Over a good year I refined things through research. Unfortunately I don’t have all of that research, but I payed close attention to things that humans are usually deficient in. D, Magnesium, K… among some others, but those worked for me.

I suffered from vitamin D “overdose” for a number of months and it wasn’t pleasant. At that time I was taking 20,000iu of D per week without Magnesium/k and I was still eating a little cheese. I was not able to go to noisy areas like Malls or shopping centers because the noise would overwhelm my brain. Doctors thought I had some type of public anxiety and prescribed some serious drugs for that which didn’t help.

For me in the end I need to avoid dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, casein, butter, etc.) entirely. Vitamin D was a no brainer as I avoid being in the sun and if you take that you have to take Magnesium and Potassium. see this link about that. http://www.easy-immune-health.com/anxiety-from-vitamin-d.html

CME: It took a little while for me to notice certain foods giving me problems and others were near instant. Trigger foods for me (dairy) are not digested well and cause bloating and push back up. If I ate a big block of cheese before going to bed I’d wake up in the morning with a foul throat, but probably would feel fine going to bed. However if I drink a big glass of milk I’d instantly feel like crap and my body would hate me for being a dummy. I probably won’t get LPR symptoms anymore since I’m healed up, I’m not deficient in Magnesium, D or K and avoid, for the most part, my trigger foods.

I hope some of this info helps someone.

yakan
    Participant

Bocote, thanks so much for all the info you share here.

I also had a question about the time needed for food to trigger a reaction. I’ve been following the diet, albeit somewhat loosely, for about two weeks and I still have all my symptoms. today I cheated a bit, and now I have terrible bloating and heartburn. this is what I’ve eaten so far:

breakfast: berry smoothie with kefir, some salmon, 1 egg and 1 salad leaf
    dessert: half a cup of watermelon
    lunch: sausage, salad with kohlrabi and beets, egg, some (thoroughly heated) leftover jasmine rice
    dessert: mixed nuts (as per the book), coffee with creamer, 1 tiny slice of cheesecake with strawberry (it also had some gluten in it), half a cup of watermelon
    dinner: meatloaf with collard greens and okra

now, I know the meatloaf and the cheesecake are probably not the best ideas, but how can they cause such bad bloating? I don’t recall having problems with bloating and belching before going FTD, but I do have these issues now.

a bit confused here…

yakan
    Participant

also, this is very nonscientific I realize, but I’ve always “felt” that I can digest crappy food (crackers, croissant) more easily than real food like veggies and fruits. I LOVE baked goods and used to eat them every day, without any immediate stomach issues.

bocote
    Participant

Yakan: I’m curious. are you taking any vitamin supplements at all?

yakan
    Participant

I’m taking a general-purpose multivitamin, and occasionally take some extra Vit D or Vit C (when I feel under the weather). but just started on D about 2months ago. I saw somewhere that it’s also recommended to get one’s magnesium-levels checked out.

bocote
    Participant

If I were you I’d experiment a bit with magnesium. See if it helps your LPR symptoms. If you are taking D in any maintenance level quantity you’ll need magnesium anyways.

Cme
    Participant

Hej Bocote

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn’t get a notification that you had replied to me. Not sure why. Anyway, thanks. Really appreciate your advice and input. Very happy to hear that LPR goes down as the body heals. Very reassuring. I also take D, magnesium and K1 and 2 but did not realise I needed to take potassium as well. Thanks. I’ll look into that.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I work with many people suffering from LPR through our Consultation Program. While some people respond fairly quickly other people take up to 3 or 4 months with strict compliance to the Fast Tract Diet approach. For best results, I recommend being diligent controlling daily FP points but also embracing the pro-digestion (gut friendly) behaviors and practices including a supplements review, as well as a diligent investigation into potential underlying causes.

LPR involves a long term subtle irritation caused by pepsin, bile salts, bacteria and pancreatic enzymes but not stomach acid. We know this because PPIs like Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, etc. do not work, and I wrote about this https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/2016/12/10/ppis-lpr/.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.