Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR LPR still persistent due to trigger foods and dairy items?!

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve had LPR for over four years (maybe more) and was actually diagnosed with it in November 2013. I got Norm’s book and read it cover to cover in a day as I was engrossed by the sense that the SIBO link made to acid/pepsin reaching the voice box via aerosol thanks to the gas from carb malabsorption.

So I’ve been working with both the recipes and guidelines from both a low carb diet, and the low FP foods in the FTD book for a couple of months now. I have two issues: the most important one is that although there is a marked improvement in my LPR symptoms, it will not go away, in fact at times it gets worse, then better, in random cycles. The second issue is I seem to have trigger foods which kick in the LPR symptoms for no reason, despite them being low FP, such as broccoli and nuts.

I also have a problem with dairy, which I have not come across before on my internet travels. If I drink lactose free milk (or normal), it makes me feel really bloated, but no LPR symptoms, so it’s not necessarily lactose intolerance, but the following items do make my LPR worse:

Cream cheese
    Whipped cream
    Single (light) and double (heavy) creams

I can eat butter, hard cheese and organic yoghurt all appear to be fine for me. The issue I have is that going the low carb route, which I really like, I am finding it difficult to keep my calories up and the weight on (I’m 6′ tall male, 155 pounds), all of which dairy products could help with as they are natural fat rich and damned tasty. I am reluctant to eat the higher GI carbs due to there being history of diabetes in the family and don’t like the idea of the high GI/insulin/hunger cycle going on in my body.

Is there something specific which could cause my soft dairy issues, and what could I eat to replace it with that is high in calories but a lower-GI?

Thanks,

Jonah

JI
    Participant

Do you have problems with oils such as coconut oil or olive oil?

Jonah
    Participant

No, olive oil and coconut oil are fine.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

One thing to consider. Dairy contains two forms of sugar – lactose and oligosaccharides. The oligosaccharides are still present in lactose free or low lactose products. But both lactose and oligosaccharides are covered in the FP calculation.

Greer
    Participant

I have similar situation – years of having LPR and not knowing what was going on, recent diagnosis, on FTD with definite improvements but relapses. I am pretty sure a trigger for me is pecan nuts. Even though I am very careful to keep all nuts under 20g a day if it includes pecans I get symptoms… The other one is a too many tomatoes ( even if I am under my daily FP of about 20) – but I know Norm warns us about them – I just love tomatoes so this is my weakness 🙁 They also set off IBS symptoms for me.

Good luck with working out the milk issues – I just gave up on all milk products except cheese, organic yogurt and cream – I was a soy milk person and have given up on that too and am not missing it.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Greer, Thanks for the note on nuts. They do have fiber and you’re not the first to link them to some symptoms. I don’t have a problem with them, but for people who do, 20 g sounds like a good compromise. Also, I have found that more people complain about tomato sauce (sucrose/fructose?) than whole tomatoes, but good to listen to your body.

bocote
    Participant

Have you tried eliminating dairy entirely and going back to some carbs since you are still suffering with LPR?

With me I found that dairy was the cause of my LPR which I had for a couple years. It got as bad as a constant red and sore throat, most irritating lump when swallowing, back pain, join pain, and anxiety which doubled everything.

Doctors told me to take PPIs for the rest of my life, but those helped zero so I stopped. I started on vitamin D since I was low and that helped.

Its odd how something in the cows milk was causing joint pain and LPR symptoms. Also too it takes about 12-24 hours after eating dairy for me to feel the signs of having done that. My throat/voice takes a good couple weeks to heal back and feel fine, but the back and joints go back to normal fairly quickly… 2-4 days after eating perhaps a cup of yogurt.

I found if I’m good and don’t eat dairy for a couple weeks I can sneak in some cheese on a pizza or a sammich without major problems, but something like pancakes or jogurt is totally not worth it.

all the best

JI
    Participant

Jonah, since you are able to tolerate olive and coconut oils, you can add more of them to your diet to add calories. Use the oils in cooking or to make dressings for your salads. Try to eat some of the low FP breads such as French baguettes, delicious dipped in olive oil or topped with butter. A nurse told me that it is hard to gain weight without having carbs in your diet.

yakan
    Participant

hello all,

I just started the diet, I’m only 4 days into it. however, I’m not seeing any changes so far, which is somewhat discouraging… maybe because I’ve read so many success stories, I can’t understand how come my symptoms don’t improve!

Jaeme, JI, did it take long in your cases for the diet to kick in?

my main symptoms are sore throat, hoarseness, and bad breath and dry mouth in the morning. I usually do better after breakfast, and slowly get more symptoms by late afternoon/evening. I’ve been eating low- to moderate FP, in the 30-40 range. I was diagnosed with LPR 2 years ago, after suffering from a persistent sore throat for about a year. it did improve, however, when I cut out milk so I was thinking maybe reintroducing heavy cream and cream cheese made things worse… officially, I’m *not* lactose intolerant, the tests did not show anything.

bocote
    Participant

For me it took a while for diet to kick in; its hard to remember exactly, but I think within a week I knew without a doubt things were getting better. For me I think it was the caseine in the dairy and not entirely the lactose that is the problem since cheese is the worst – particularly aged and hard varieties.

The only other changes I did are taking supplements on top of quitting dairy entirely and have not had any LPR in over a year now. I take vitamin D (20,000iu/week), magnesium (1/6 of recommended daily), and potassium (1/6 recommended daily), and occasionally a multivitamin. I think the magnesium is the most important for LPR as it helps muscles relax – perhaps the sphincter next to the stomach closes when relaxed… I’m not sure.

yakan
    Participant

this is so encouraging, bocote! were you diagnosed as allergic to casein or did you just feel dairy made things worse?

do you have any suggestions for breakfast? of course, like many of us in the forum, I’d eaten oats and soymilk up until a week ago. it just feels so hard to come up with replacements, especially that I’m not a huge fan of big breakfasts (eggs and bacon).

in any case, I am quitting dairy as of today, the thing is, my reflux is actually worse than before the diet… I woke up with the worst sore throat today and had a very bad night.

bocote
    Participant

I have not seen an allergist about casein specifically, but I will at some point. The doctors here, in Poland, only made my LPR worse and I feel 100% fine under my own care of trial and error and research. Doctors here actually thought I was low on Calcium and should include dairy in my diet and I was prescribed multiple times to take PPIs for a lifetime.

When my LPR was at its worst it was about 6 months after I bought my wife an ice cream maker for Christmas. We had ice cream every night because it tasted so good. She still gets icecreams, but I switched to beer on weekends to replace those calories.

I can’t help with your breakfast – mine is usually just toast and jelly. Sometimes I’ll have a little milk in a backed good like a muffin, but I avoid dairy like the plague for the most part. On my pizza and sandwiches I substitute sauerkraut for cheese which I’ve grown quite fond of.

From my research everyone is different and its going to take some trial and error on your part to figure out how LPR has developed, but I feel there is a cure for you or anyone that has developed it as some point mid-life.

patience
    Participant

Bocote, you are so lucky to have found the cause of your LPR. I am having the hardest time trying to figure out what is causing my symptoms. How do you single out a specific food when eating a variety of foods at one meal/snack? Also, I don’t know how long after eating a food that the symptoms show up. Do the symptoms have to show up immediately after eating, or could it be many hours to a day? I just wish I could pinpoint something as you did with dairy. Also, if I take a food out of my diet, how long do I need to take it out to see if it’s been causing symptoms—a day, a week, a month?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me. I’d appreciate it!

patience
    Participant

Bocote, were your officially diagnosed with LPR? And if so, how was the diagnosis made—what tests were done? Thank you!

bocote
    Participant

I only had one doctor in about 10 put all of my symptoms together and put a name to it which I already knew at that point. In Polish its called, “Refluks kratniowo-gardłowy”. No tests were done other than examination and my explanation of symptoms. My symptoms were text book LPR: lump in throat, sore throat, cracked and weak voice, some mucus, hard to swallow, very slight cough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.