Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I started eating a ketogenic diet about 6 months ago to help with certain psychiatric disorders and energy issues I’ve struggled with my whole life. Suffice it to say that I’ve been thoroughly pleased with the mental results. The problem is that a few weeks in I developed LPR, which was officially diagnosed recently. Giving up the diet is an absolute last resort for me, since it’s been so beneficial. And fortunately, my reflux symptoms have been relatively minor compared to many people, and they’ve actually been improving now that I’m monitoring my eating timing and frequency (i.e. not stuffing myself even when I’m not hungry.) Nevertheless, I’m still having some issues and wanted some advice.

I do consume a good bit of fiber, but I don’t think that this is the issue since the reflux started before I increased my fiber intake. I’m off dairy, so that isn’t the culprit either. I never had any discernible reflux issues prior to going keto. Why would cutting out most carbohydrates make things worse? Does anyone have any recommendations? I’ve done a good bit of research on potential causes and supplements, so I have some ideas of my own, but I want some fresh input and possibly some anecdotal, experiential evidence. Any thoughts, Dr. Robillard?

amy
    Participant

Hey Eric,

I just started the keto diet in January and have had great results. Almost 90% of my fibromyalgia symptoms disappeared within the first few days of changing my diet to Keto. Then, in May I started getting symptoms of LPR and then was later diagnosed with it. I have never had any problems with acid before and have desperately been trying to figure out what caused the LPR. I’m not sure if the sphincter was weakened by bacteria (I was sick when it started), difficulty digesting fats and fatty meats, or if I have some kind of vitamin/mineral deficiency. All I know is that I have a minty/cold burn in my throat, have had fluid in the ears in terrible pain mostly in the left ear, a stuffy nose, and burning eyes. I have seen an ENT and will be seeing a Gastro doctor next. First, I wanted to see if adding carbs back into my diet helps cure the LPR and if it was in fact due to the keto diet. You are only the third person that I have found who thinks their air LPR was due to Keto changes. Please let me know if you have any updates to share. I hope you found relief!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.