Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I realize that this topic is months old but I wanted to mention that I get LPR symptoms. My gastroenterologist does not differentiate between the types of gerd. I learned about LPR from the book, “Dropping Acid”. I have had ear aches, sinus infections and I have post nasal drip all of the time. I get reflux mostly at night. However I’ve noticed now that I get it during the day lately. This is probably due to my attempt at a vegan diet (high starch) for the last couple of weeks. That was a disaster for me. The LPR plays havoc with my singing voice. That’s my motivation for getting this under control.

ftder
    Participant

I think this diet will help you greatly. Follow it closely and ask questions. I can’t believe how often I see vegan diets leading to health issues (not for everyone, but for many). I myself had a high carb vegetarian diet in my early 20s and my holistic doctor has listed this among the things leading to my significant chronic health condition and GI imbalance.

Nansense
    Participant

I have LPR and I am having a hard time with nighttime reflux. That is, I wake up with sour taste or acid in my mouth or back of throat. Has anyone else experienced this? I am on a low carb diet but I’m off dairy for now. It doesn’t agree with me at this point. Norm’s plan includes a lot of dairy. I’m getting discouraged because this does not seem to be helping. Gastroenterologists really don’t know what to do with LPR symptoms. They just ask you to lose weight and stop eating tomato sauce, citrus and fatty foods. I’m on Protonix in the a.m. I’d like to get off of it since it’s not working. I’m going to make appointment with my ENT as I’ve had a very sore throat recently. Last time I had no damage to my vocal chords or throat. I am a singer and this concerns me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

49barefoot
    Participant

Hang in there, Nansense. If you read the books, you’ll see that the main thing is going very low fermenatable carb for a couple weeks. It’s annoying to weigh out and measure the foods. I’ve found it difficult to do it for more than 3 days in a row, but I feel improved after the 3rd day. Then I regress and get worse.
    Diary isn’t required. What’s required is healthy fats, moderate protein, and lots of leafy greens. I try to also do some bone broth, and I find that grapefruit seed extract helps a bit.
    I also suck on slippery elm lozenges very frequently, and take dgl and a supplement with a bit of vitamin U. Google all of those w/reflux and you’ll get a lot of ideas for healing.

Nansense
    Participant

Thank you, 99barefoot, I appreciate your encouragement. Admittedly, I haven’t been following Norm’s meal plan. I have been following my own version. I have to do the work and I will now. I have some beef bones in the freezer and I’m going to make bone broth in the crock pot tomorrow.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Nansense- I was just like you, exact same symptoms (and a public speaker who uses voice for a living- 90% of LPR people do). Went down same path of treatment by mainatream ENTs- acid blockers, high starchy carb “Dropping Acid” diet (I dubbed it the “Just Kill Me Now” diet) which made symptoms 10x worse. According to Norm’s research, that plan would & did have detrimental effects. Thanks to the FTD diet I am virtually LPR free (unless I cheat on the starchy carbs). I am medicine-free, all throat/larynx/pharynx inflammation gone, sinuses clear, voice back, ear aches gone. I owe Norm my life! I followed the FTD diet very closely, and it paid off. So worth it- hang in there!

Jaeme
    Participant

I agree with Barefoot too- I weighed everything, and followed the FTD diet very closely. The good news is I can now eat almost everything except only small amounts of starchy carbs. I don’t weigh anything or count FP points anymore. I eat a modified Paleo diet, with lots of healthy fats, moderate protein, and lots of leafy greens. I don’t miss the grains or potatoes, and love that I can eat spices, tomatoes, coffee, chocolate, and all of the other “no’s” banned in the Dropping Acid diet.

For the first few months I too did use slippery elm, marshmallow root, Vitamin U (in a product called Gastrazyme for healing digestive tract), and DGL (Natural Factors brand has no sugar alcohols).

patience
    Participant

Jaeme, it is so good to read of your success! I have been following the Dropping Acid diet for about two months, I’m better, but not completely symptom free. Main symptoms now are when I swallow it feels kind of like a swollen feeling. If I don’t have that symptom, then I have mucus in throat. I ordered Norm’s book and am eager to read it and try the diet. I am hoping it will work for symptoms as mine. Not sure how long to give either diet, and wonder if where my symptoms are now is as good as I can get. I haven’t been officially diagnosed with LPR. The ENT’s just tell me to try PPI’s to see if they help. I don’t want to do that! Reading that you eat spices, tomatoes and chocolate sounds wonderful to me! Do you ever have any bread at all? If so, what kind? Anyway, it is great reading this forum and hearing the positiveness. Thank you to everyone for posting. It is helpful!

petekd
    Participant

Hi my symptoms are similar I was diagnosed with LPR about 12 months ago and was taking 2 x lanzaprozole a day and 2 teaspoons of gaviscon advance 4 times a day. This is a lot of ant acid…Anyway about 3 months in I started to get stomach gurgling and growling and bloating at night after my main meal which ive had every day now for about 9 months even though I stopped taking the gaviscon and Lanzaprozole after the 3 months,. I havnt been back to the doctors as i’m scared. I was wondering if you or anyone else has experienced this

Regards Pete

PS I still get the throat clearing almost daily mainly in the morning when I get up

ScottB
    Participant

Hi Pete. Sorry to hear about your LPR. I’ve had it for about 4 years now.

I never took PPI medications (only once, for two weeks, in combination with antibiotics, because my doctor thought I had h-pylori). The Fast Tract diet helped minimize my symptoms, but it didn’t get rid of them.

However, I have found relief over the past month or so. I hope it continues. My stomach issues (a mild burning sensation an hour or two after meals) and my LPR dramatically improved after I began supplementing with a probiotic. I was hesitant to do this, even though I had heard others report success. But then I read reports that functional dyspepsia (a fancy term for indigestion of an unknown cause) is strongly linked to anxiety. I’ve always been a somewhat anxious person, and periodically experienced bouts of anxiety — since my early twenties. And I read other reports that probiotics have an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effect. A co-worker of mine said that a probiotic helped his stomach issues. So I started taking the same probiotic he takes and it really helps. I’m not 100% cured, but it’s as close as I’ve ever been. I feel normal the vast majority of the time, and when I do notice the stomach burning, it’s very mild.

So I’d recommend the Fast Tract diet. However, I’ve noticed that too much fat seems to worsen my symptoms, so I keep my fat intake in the low to moderate range. I also eat a low-acid diet (like the Dropping Acid diet recommends). And I take the probiotic every day.

And if you often find yourself feeling anxious, try engaging in relaxing things. Some people like meditation. Personally, I’ve found meditation sometimes makes me depressed or anxious. Weird, I know. But something I really enjoy is taking long walks, especially around nature, and paying attention to my surroundings (sights, sounds, smells). So it’s a form of mindfulness, but I’m being mindful of my surroundings, not just sitting and paying attention to my breath.

I don’t think I’m allowed to post the name of the probiotic here. If you’d like it, just contact me directly.

I wish you the best of luck.

Scott

ScottB
    Participant

Pete, the probiotic is made by Garden of Life, and is called Primal Defense.

Catharina
    Participant

Hello everybody,

My story started last year. I wasn’t feeling well, nauseas after meals and I felt like food stayed in my stomach for days. My GP advised me to take a ppi. It made my symptoms worse so I stopped taking them after two weeks. I felt a lot better but two days later I started to get reflux of a salty fluid all day long. It burned for two days but most of the time it was just this reflux. After 10 days the reflux stopped. I assumed it had been rebound reflux. Unfortunately I felt nauseas after meals again so my doctor advised me to take the ppi again and taper the dose to prevent rebound. I took it for 10 days, then tapered the dose as I felt bloated, burped a lot and my food stayed in my stomach. This continued for two weeks after stopping the ppi but then the reflux started again. I assumed it was rebound and luckily it got better after seven weeks but three weeks later it started again.
    At first it was continually burning my throat, but after two months (febr 2015) it alternated between salty reflux that didn’t burn and burning reflux.
    I got a gastroscopy that showed only a small hernia diaphragmatica. Since March I have been trying to get rid of the reflux by diet. First I started to eat vegetables, beans etc. instead of bread but after a week my symptoms got worse. Then I found the FTD but as I was scared to eat a lot of fat, I started to loose weight. Then I followed low fodmap for two weeks but the reflux got worse so I decided to do low acid/low fat/lots of carbohydrates. For a couple of days it seemed to work but then it got worse again.
    I switched to eating a lot of veggies but then I started to feel very bloated. I tried enzymes, probiotics, acupuncture, sugar free DGL, d-limonene, Zinc Carnosine, Magnesium and osteopathy but nothing helped and some supplements gave me bad reactions like headaches or made the reflux worse.
    During the summerholidays I was a little bit better; no bloating and less reflux. I ate a lot of French baguettes and far less vegetables and fruit than I used to eat.
    I am still waiting for a breath test to check for SIBO but in the meantime decided to give FTD another go, as my bloating and my reflux got a lot worse after the holidays while eating wholemeal bread, oatmeal and lots of fruits and veggies although in smaller amounts than before the holidays. I hope this means my symptoms are caused by SIBO and the diet will work but after 5 days I still have this continuous reflux of salty fluid. Luckily it isn’t sharp and burning all the time, but even then it is very annoying. Sometimes it affects my voice too. The bloating is a lot less now so maybe that is a good sign.
    I am wondering if I should try betaine HCL, maybe this reflux means my stomach doesn’t produce enough acid but I don’t have the courage to try. I would like to hear from you how long it took before the diet started working and if betaine HCL did help.
    I am wondering if I should try skipping dairy and nuts, but I am also underweight and these are low FP with relatively high calories so I really don’t feel like it.
    If this diet doesn’t work I would like to try melatonin but if that doesn’t work either I might consider trying a ppi; it would be nice to be without this continous reflux, even though it would give me other symptoms, like lack of appetite, bloating, burping…….
    I need a little encouragement and some sign that this diet is working….

ScottB
    Participant

Hello, Catharina. I’m sorry to hear of your struggle.

I think most of the Q&As for this diet, FTD, are now on Facebook. So you might have better luck getting answers there. I don’t use Facebook, so I periodically check this forum.

I can tell you that this diet did help my LPR symptoms a lot. But it wasn’t a cure. It certainly helps minimize symptoms. But you have to give it time — it can take a month or two. Here are some other things I’ve noticed with my struggle (which is far easier now, and some days I don’t notice symptoms):

– I don’t do well with high-fat foods — they seem to worsen symptoms. I eat lots of skinless poultry and salmon, as well as vegetables (mostly cooked, because they’re easier to digest that way), and a serving or two of fruit (melons, mostly). Also, lots of Jasmine rice. I don’t refrigerate it, as that increases the resistant starch and it absolutely causes bloating. I cook a batch (1 cup of uncooked rice; makes about 700 grams of cooked rice) every morning. I eat that throughout the day, left on the counter in an air-tight container. So it remains soft — it doesn’t get hard and clumpy. And at night, I throw out whatever’s left over.

– I stop eating three hours before bed. And I elevate the head of my bed by 5 inches so I can sleep on an incline.

– I don’t take any medications or supplements, except for the probiotic I mentioned up above (Primal Defense, by Garden of Life). Probiotics have been shown to reduce anxiety, and anxiety is strongly linked to functional dyspepsia (indigestion).

Good luck. I wish you the best.

Catharina
    Participant

Hello Scott,
    Thanks for your reply.I am doing a little better now; no or minor bloating and there are moments I hardly notice any symptoms but the reflux is there all the time and it consumes a lot of my energy.
    I have trouble maintaining weight although I put extra oil in everything I eat.
    Did you test for SIBO? I will get two tests the coming weeks; one with lactose and one with glucose. I asked for lactulose but the doctor had never heard of a lactulose breath test…They will only test for hydrogen, not methane so I am a little woried if the results will be trustworthy, especially now I am following this diet that is meant to reduce sibo. I found out recently that you can order a test and do it at home. If I had known I might have taken a test before starting the diet. It would be easier to stick to the diet if I knew for sure that I have Sibo.
    Maybe you still have symptoms because you still have sibo. There is also some discussion on probiotics for people with sibo; some people think probiotics may aggravate sibo.

ScottB
    Participant

Hi Catharina. I’m glad to hear you’re improving.

If you’re having trouble with maintaining your weight, eat lots of Jasmine white rice.

I’ve never had a test for SIBO. I doubt that I have SIBO. I’ve been eating this way for months, and my symptoms are at a minimum. But if I spend a day eating apples and pears, and lots of oil or butter, my reflux will be through the roof. I doubt that’s a sign of SIBO. I think my stomach just struggles with large amounts of food that’s difficult to digest (fat and fiber).

Also, I do believe the probiotics have helped my symptoms. I feel much calmer, and my symptoms are less noticeable/bothersome.

I need fat to keep my weight on, so I’m not doing a low fat diet. It’s moderate fat. And I eat lots of carbs, mostly from Jasmine white rice and cooked vegetables.

I would suggest that you stick with the diet for a few months, regardless of the results of the SIBO test. And certainly get lots of calories. I eat five times a day (about three hours apart), so that I can get lots of calories without making my stomach too full (which usually worsens the reflux).

Good luck 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.