Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Bliss,
    It is ji. I think many things have helped me. I started on the low FP Fast Tract diet a little over a year ago. I felt improvement pretty quickly. I am not as strict as I used to be, but I make sure not to eat too many carbs and sugars. I do cheat on holidays and special occasions.

My doctor found out I have non-acid as opposed to acid reflux through 24 hour ph testing. I used to be so frustrated because I had no relief from PPI’s or by following the usual recommended diet for acid reflux, i.e. bland, no spices, no fat. And I used to get terrible heartburn. I still get mild throat soreness, but it is not too bad. When I need help, I use Gaviscon which I order from the U.K. The U.S. version has aluminum and not as much of the active ingredient, sodium alginate; so I feel the U.K. version is better.

I believe that learning to relax has helped me a great deal. That is where the yoga comes into play. In my opinion, walking is beneficial for reducing stress and improving digestion. I have also had some acupuncture treatments. I think they help. This is what has helped me along my path to healing. Good luck on your healing journey.

bliss
    Participant

Thanks for sharing JI – so appreciative! I am glad to hear you are feeling so well and seem to have gotten it under control with such mastery and self advocacy.
    I just felt whammed when I heard that after all I do to maintain a healthy life responsibly, I never believed this could happen to me – and I have not taken this so well – so it is really comforting to be supported though virtual through the kindness of people like you.

The biggest concern I have now is that I lost over 3 lbs. in the 2 weeks I was on the induction phase of Dr Koufman’s low acid diet and I am too thin. I am going to transition to Dr Robillard’s fast track once I can absorb the concept – it seems a bit daunting at first glance. If you or anyone could enlighten me about maintaining gaining and weight I would be grateful and for tips for the FT diet.

I also have a meditation practice and utilize my teacher’s guided mediations from the Nalanda Institute website. I have not been adhering to my routine since the shock of this and transformation period and really need to get back on track. I am also currently going through some intense personal stuff. I will attempt my routine of daily yoga and walking/running for tranquility – it truly calms me. thanks again.
    very best bliss

bliss
    Participant

Whoa JI! I just began reviewing FT meal plans and I am yet again challenged – I do not eat meat and need to understand how to embrace this with fish as my only flesh protein and figure this out with nuts and some tofu and if I can eat hemp or other sources.
    How did you do this?
    I also sm not used to all the food preparation with the recipes – is there a basic way to eat simply until I have a grasp of this? Thanks again, Best bliss

JI
    Participant

Hello again bliss,

It is easy to follow the Fast Tract diet without eating meat. Fish and tofu have very low FP. Eggs, cheese, and jasmine rice are all very low or zero FP foods. Most vegetables are very low FP with the exception of peas, corn, plantains, and yams. If you want potatoes, choose redskin, Yukon gold or fingerling, but do not have too many. Melon is good as well as some berries. Limited quantities of lower FP nuts are fine.

I simply kept my FP totals down to 10 or less per meal, 30 per day. Cheese and olive oil can add calories as well as dressings on salads. You do not have to make the recipes, but keep a count of the FP of the foods you choose to eat. If you do decide to make a recipe from the book, the cheesecake is very good (cover the outer edges with some foil or the top of the crust will burn). Certain breads, like French baguettes, have very low FP. Milk is not the best choice, but you can have heavy cream and drink soy or almond milk. Breyers lactose free vanilla ice cream is allowed at 5 FP for 1/2 cup serving.

I initially lost weight, but leveled off. Just eat enough of the low FP foods, incorporating some of the higher calorie ones. I think you will find it’s easier to gain weight if you include some starch (a little potatoes and low FP bread). I’m not going to advocate for drinking alcohol, but dry wine is low FP as well as light beer and some grain alcohols. Consult the book for quantity guidelines. The charts in the back of the book are very helpful. Get yourself a kitchen scale so you can weigh foods in grams and ounces. All the best to you!

bliss
    Participant

So appreciate your response JI !
    I will begin with your guidelines and figure out some things
    as I go along – I will get a scale too. lots to do! best bliss

Kelly
    Participant

Bliss, you may find it helpful to read this thread:

All the best to you!

bliss
    Participant

Thanks Kelly!
    will do!
    really appreciate getting a leg up from all of you who have been on the healing path! best! bliss

bliss
    Participant

Kelly! I glanced at the thread which is all I can do until I read, re-reared, and absorb the diet from the heartburn book I uploaded last weekend (and get a scale) –
    I too have chronic pain and must exercise every day or I do not feel well –
    We are blessed in a sense because even though we have this situation and it is a lot of work, in the bigger picture moving forward, we will probably be healthier that most people as we age AND we exercise which is also important. thanks again! bliss

DianaKay
    Participant

This is my first post on the LPR forum. I was diagnosed with LPR in mid-August when I went to an ENT for sore throat that had been hanging on since at least last spring. I sing with church choir and a community choir, and I was afraid that my sore throat and hoarseness was going to be the end of my singing. The doctor scoped my throat and said all was well except the redness in my throat/vocal cord area. No nodules or lesions or anything. He gave me a prescription for Prilosec to take for 6 weeks twice a day. I had taken Prilosec 7 or 8 years ago when I weighed 75 more pounds than I do now. I had bad heartburn then and trouble swallowing, etc. Had and endoscopy done by gastroenterologist. He said I had a hiatal hernia. He put me on Nexium then switched me to Prilosec and I stayed on it until 6 months after I re-joined Weight Watchers. At that point I had lost about 50 pounds and found that I didn’t need the Prilosec any more. I have stayed on Weight Watcher program, now maintaining for over 6 years. As I progressed with Weight Watchers I began to see the benefits of the whole foods approach of their Simply Filling program and had given up most processed foods long ago. I was really surprised when the doctor said acid reflux in my throat. After taking the Prilosec for a couple of weeks, I started reading everything I could find on the internet about LPR. What I found was a huge variety of conflicting opinions about the causes and cures of LPR. The first thing I saw was the bad effects of the PPIs. Then I read Chris Kresser’s opinions about beating this disease by making dietary changes. I started cutting carbs and everything else that was mentioned, but it was like a shotgun approach without focus. Then I read Dr. Robillard’s Fast Tract Digestion book and decided this was something do-able. I have been following the program for 3 weeks now and most days have no sore throat at all. I still have some hoarseness, and my doctor said that part does take longer to heal. I wanted to continue following my Weight Watcher program as much as possible. The carbs that I was taking away for FTD weren’t anything I was required to have. The first week was tough. I couldn’t believe I was weighing lettuce. I chose not to eat the recipes and meal plan in the book because they included a lot of things that I gave up a long time ago and didn’t want to go back to them. Instead I used the food charts to figure out the FP numbers on the food that I normally eat and stayed within the 30 point guideline for the first week. Moved up to 40 points the second week since I was having such good results. Now I am trying to stay under 45 and have succeeded most days.
    I have a question that has occurred to me and wonder if anyone else has any input. Background – I am 71, 5’4″ tall, weigh 134 pounds and exercise regularly, including fairly serious hiking in the Ozark hills/mountains and solo canoeing with a club. I take no prescription meds except Raloxifene (Evista) for my bones. I do take miscellaneous vitamins. Some of our hikes and canoe trips can be fairly strenuous. My husband and I have one hike that we regularly do near home. It is short and can be done in an hour, but the first 3/4 mile is loose rock and pretty much straight up, gaining 550′ of elevation in that distance. I huff and puff a lot. My nose starts running, whether or not it is hot out. In addition to the runny nose, I also get mucous in my throat and the throat soreness comes back, at least for most of the day. I am wondering if the strenuous activity is causing more reflux. Has there been any study done on strenuous exercise causing reflux? Perhaps this is similar to when restrictive clothing forces reflux. (My clothes are not restrictive in this case.)

DianaKay
    Participant

PS – I forgot to mention that I gave up the Prilosec at the end of August, 2 weeks after it was prescribed. I am really concerned about their side effects.

spchtch
    Participant

I am new to the site and originally posted the bottom comments prior to finding this general forum. So, I guess it takes awhile to see success with LPR? I get discouraged because of the conflicting information and GI Dr., surgeon, and GP Dr. all just want to increase Nexium and Zantac. I’ve been following Dropping Acid for almost 4 months and it has helped with my hoarse voice and # of infections, but tummy still gets crampy. I at least feel somewhat hopeful and will be anxious for my book to arrive on Wednesday.
    This is what I originally posted on the one discussion, but feel it is more applicable to this general LPR forum. I should also add that I was underweight before the below mentioned weight loss; it is scary!

THANK YOU for your patience for a newcomer!

I just ordered the book and I’m hoping I see some relief with the FTD. I have had GERD, then a nissen surgery, then I found out that I have had LPR for so many years, hence the sinus, bronchial, hoarse voice problems. I only eat chicken, turkey, and fish, no chocolate, no tomatoes, no gassy veggies, no mint, no alcohol, no carbonated drinks, few sweets, no nuts, am lactose intolerant so no dairy and I have been on nexium 2x a day and zantag at night, sleep on a special wedge, and was following the drop Acid diet BUT what has happened is I’ve DROPPED 20 LBS IN ABOUT 5 MONTHS. Also, don’t know if it is from the new meds, but I now vascilate between very loose stools several times a day for most of the week and then some hard stools. Dr.’s have given up, so I am praying I can see some relief with this diet. Has anybody had success with this diet and LPR????

DianaKay
    Participant

To spchtch – I posted just above you. Yes, I have had success with the diet. The first thing I noticed was that all the flatulence I used to deal with went away. That was an unexpected bonus. I have pretty much gotten rid of the throat pain since starting the diet. As is typical of LPR, I tend to reflux in the daytime when I’m up and about, not at night. I do have concern about strenuous exercise causing reflux. That’s not a problem with the diet. I just have to work out how much exercise is too strenuous. I also had a reminder the other night that part of Dr. Robillard’s plan is being careful not to eat too much volume at once. I ate a really big hamburger patty – I very seldom eat beef, let alone large servings. It definitely gave me some problems for several hours. Lesson learned.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Diana,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I’m impressed with your level of physical activity. In general, exercise is good for overall gut health and GERD, but more extreme activities such as running, excessive cross training and weight lifting can increase reflux symptoms. There have been lots of studies done. I will post a few links. Your post actually inspired me to do a bit more reading on this subject. I will post again if I find something interesting.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24676289
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24125138
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24067605
    Here’s one that didn’t find a connection of “every day exercise” with regard to LES pressure:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23709374
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22410703
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22204202
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22089363
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22126004 (sorry, don’t have the abstract for this one)

AndreaS
    Participant

Hi Norm,
    Thanks a bunch for these very interesting PubMed links.
    The last one doesn’t have an abstract since it is only a comment. The (short) full text apparently is available at http://www.jpma.org.pk/full_article_text.php?article_id=3126
    Basically, they are questioning the methods of the paper that recommends regular post dinner walks by Karim S et al. Rightfully so, I guess, however, that doesn’t mean the results are wrong. IMHO, it’s apparent that walks can help to reduce GI symptoms.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi All!

Its been a while since I’ve been on the forum, so I thought I would check in. Glad to say, its been 10 months on the FTD, and I am doing great! Finding Norm’s book & website changed my life. On top of virtually eliminating my LPR, getting rid of the whole grains, potatoes, beans & similar foods has given me more energy – no more afternoon slumps. It also virtually eliminated my rosacea, so I now think the undigested carbs were making it into the bloodstream to feed the agents causing the rosacea (and if I cheat, I get flare-ups). My weight is right where it should be, and stays that way without worrying about calories and no cravings. I have had no IBS either. A sign my digestion/nutrition is optimal = my fingernails are perfect and growing like crazy – never had nails like this in my life despite eating a whole-food, unprocessed diet for 15+ years prior. I worried about the lack of fiber from eliminating the whole grains, etc., but having lots of salads & veggies & water has kept me regular.

I still take a digestive enzyme with high amylase for digesting carbs, and a mild HCL/digestive supplement called Zypan, but have skipped them at some meals without issues and may wean off those too.

I do not count FP points anymore, just try to stay away from breads/grains/potatoes/beans and stick to meats, veggies, dairy (tolerate lactose fine), and some fruit. I can eat a piece of pizza, but don’t eat the outside crust. I can eat a wrap sandwich, but pull off as much of the wrap as I can, etc. I am living a mostly normal life now, able to eat out at restaurants and functions. Feeling good and looking good – so pleased with the FTD approach.

Thank you Norm, and everyone on the forum – you saved my life! To those who are trying the FTD – hang in there, it is SO worth it.

~ Jaeme K. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.