Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m a singer/actor as well, with lpr and associated hoarseness etc. I find steaming helps somewhat but am still looking for answers.

Has anyone heard of or tried the procedure Stretta? I’ve been reading up on it and it sounds like there’s a fairly high success rate for treating lpr. Any further info would be apreciated!

Kelly
    Participant

Hello, just checking in. I found this diet while researching GAPS to treat SIBO & leaky gut. Now I realize I’ve probably had silent GERD for about 15 years. I have all the symptoms but no doctor ever caught it — I rarely have heartburn.

In answer to a question, many of my jobs have involved talking, and I talk/sing a lot on my own time.

I’m already getting the IBS book, so I’ll have to learn about the reflux side of things from all of you. Thank you Norm, for this forum!

cmcuk
    Participant

Firstly hello, and thank you for all your posts reading through them is very helpful to me.
    I have had a sore throat for about 20 years (the gastroenterologist I saw did not believe me but its true!). It has gradually got worse over the years with sinusitis and now a cough – I assumed allergies and all the swimming I love. When it turned to GERD I realised more about the origins of it, but also on reading that I did not want long term PPI’s.

I seem to have found my way here (FTD) quite quickly, but am still adjusting to the diet and to looking after my digestion so it is lovely to find people who understand.

My question is how long did/does the FTD take to show effects? I have done just over two weeks and heard that that leads to dramatic improvements if its just GERD. But overall my GERD was low key (it does seem less), but my throat continues and is very variable. I am trying to work out if this is just because it has been inflamed for so long, or if the reflux is still going on.

In doing the FTD, I am managing to stay under 40, but am not really managing much lower. I have to cook for a vegan family (but I now follow FTD by eating meat and dairy and so have to prepare two different meals) and shop for two sets of food too. I am frankly finding it a bit tricky, but know I will get used to it.
    What would be lovely is to hear that it is slower with LPR (I hope) and so to reinforce the need for me to be patient, but also to hear about what has helped you.

BTW, I use my voice all the time as I teach self management in health.

Thanks to you all and to Norm for working all this out.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi CMCUK- Hang it there, LPR usually takes a lot longer, as the throat tissues are much more sensitive (especially if they have been overused like those of us who use our voices for a living). I was like you – thought it was sinus drainage/allergies for years. Doctors just kept prescribing nasal sprays and decongestants, etc. Finally had a scope run through my sinuses & larynx, and was diagnosed with LPR. Was put on the “traditional” way of treating LPR (PPIs & high carb/low acid diet, which made it 10x worse). It was so bad I thought I would lose my job, as the inflammation was so bad I was losing my voice.

Found the FTD approach & this forum, and improved within the first week. It all made sense, as I can trace the beginning of LPR to a heavy dose of antibiotics I was given during a case of the H1N1 flu & bronchitis – so a diet high in whole grains & SIBO = perfect storm for LPR. While on the FTD I had a self-inflicted problem when I did not eat the rice (so virtually no carb & went into ketosis). I am doing quite well now, though. Have a few flare ups, but can usually trace it to overuse at work, not drinking enough water, high pollen days, or pushing the limit on the FP points. I do take a few supplements like marshmallow root, digestive enzymes, and probiotics. I drink a lot of kefir and eat fermented foods like kimchi. One thing that helped at the beginning was DGL tablets (really coated the stomach & throat). Several people on here have suggested Carafate to coat the throat, but make sure your doctor prescribes the liquid, not the tablets (mine gave me tablets, which only help the stomach, so a wasted Rx).

The most helpful thing of all has been this forum – we are all in this together! 🙂

cmcuk
    Participant

Thanks Jaeme. its really helpful to hear form others.

Have an appointment with gp this week and have to tell him I stopped the PPI’s (well ran out deliberately) and tell him about the diet. Will also try to ask about SIBO and helibactori testing – we’ll see how willing he is to engage, once he sees I am not going the conventional medical route……
    Am using DGK (a sugar alcohol free form) & still take melatonin which really helps with sleep. I hadn’t heard of carafate though, so may look into and ask about that.

Also pleased to hear about the kefir as that is one of the things I am going to look into next.

Thanks again

Jaeme
    Participant

CMCUK- Good luck with the GP- I have had to switch several doctors to find ones who would look beyond the standard Big Pharma answer and not regard the diet & natural approach as “quackery”, or dismiss you altogether as “uncooperaive”. Well worth switching and finding a doctor who will look at your individual issues and spend time to work on a solution.

I mix my kefir with a little coconut milk or almond milk and a splash of heavy cream. Have made a sweet version by also adding some cinmamon & vanilla.

jason
    Participant

Hi Jaeme

I’m new here and just started the FTD. I weaned myself of off PPI’s the other day (went from 40mg omeprazole to 20mg of Zegrid then nothing) at the same time I started the diet. Results haven’t been consistent but ok overall. My big issue is with the LPR. While not officially diagnosed (official diagnosis is GERD and reflux esophagitis), all my symptoms line up with what everyone here lists as LPR.

I know that the LPR is supposed to take longer to heal but what about the mucus that forms at the back of your throat? Typically after I eat I get that build up. and have to either try and cough it up or clear my throat. Any chance that goes away soon or is that part of the healing that happens over the next few months?

Thanks!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Jason- I saw good improvement with the mucus at back of throat & lump in throat very quickly (within first week), but like others here had some setbacks/ups & downs as the gut bacteria battled it out for dominance and determining which foods are my triggers (starchy whole grains & potatoes worst). I am happy to report at 6 months on FT I am doing very well and adding foods back in with good success. For me, probiotics, enzymes have been very helpful. I am now able to include a Betaine HCL tablet, and have improved to almost normal (stomach/throat had to heal first). Hang in there!

jason
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Jaeme. Any recommendations for the probiotics and enzymes? I bought some store brand 1 billion organism probiotics and have been taking that but have come across reading material saying that may not be enough (or that cheap probiotics in general aren’t good for you).

Ok glad this is working for you. I’m still working through which foods will cause heartburn. I’m not really following the meal plan to a T as I’m not crazy about all the meals in it. But sticking to mostly low FP items from the book’s table.

cmcuk
    Participant

Also read your posts with interest. I son’t really have mucus problems but am struggling to work out what is my throat being dry and also my voice being used too much versus actual acidity. I am also just sticking to below 40FP, and am really interested in particular in what people have noticed about the timing of symptoms after going over or after trigger foods. How long before you see it?
    Btw, gp was very sympathetic and happy for me to stay off PPI’s, had not heard of diet but knew of FODMAPs. Said he did not have many patients who would be willing to follow these kinds of diets……!

circusmama
    Participant

Is it common to have a white coated tongue, with LPR? Never had it before, actually not until my tonsils were taken out. I am thinking my tonsils took most of the acid damage, and that why they were huge and nasty. However, now that they aren’t there, Is the acid damaging my tongue now? Also now have ear pain as well? Has this happened with anyone else?

bliss
    Participant

Good Day to All!

hope you are all on the mend or cured!

This is my first post and second attempt – the one I began just disappeared so if you see a partial post from me – apologies!

I was clueless about GERD and LPR until the otolaryngologist alerted me after she scoped me – I was in disbelief because I have great G.I. function.
    I have been on a predominantly gluten free “live” food regime for 6–isn years with some sustainably farmed fish – ocean fish frightens me now – (hoping for responsible fish farms to become a viable solution with purified water and quality plant feed)
    As Dr. Robillard requested in one of his posts, vegan protein would consist of as much organic portions of the following; raw hulled hemp seed, raw nuts, almonds, brazils, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, limited sprouted tofu (phytoestrogen cautious) as well as lots of dark green vegetables such as arugala (being mindful of the thyroid issues that could happen with these – I do not have any problems with this – touch wood!) but not having gotten the ebook yet today, I do not know if these will work for me anymore. I eat lactofermented raw sauer kraut, avocados, fruit – I try to stay on a hypoglycemic based regime with the “live” foods and limited carbohydrates for more energy – I have been eating gluten free quinoa since attempting Dr Koufman’s low acid diet for about a week because I am hungry all the time.
    I have been adding 1/4 teaspoon to each zero water filtered glass of water because my tap water is acidic per litmus paper. I tried the Santevia? alkaline filter stick and it doesn’t work – it is going back.
    I know we do need correct amounts of acid to absorb our food but believe too much is what triggers the misbehaved pepsin.

Has anyone had their nasal passages tested as well for pepsin?

Does anyone know if peptests are being offered domestically without sending to U.K.?

This situation may have occurred because I have always eaten before bedtime – NOT ANYMORE! I also practiced inversions after eating before sleeping to calm down!
    and sometimes a teensy bite before practicing yoga – which I was practicing about 5 times a week because I am usually hungry.

I am disciplined so I am a great candidate for this diet.

I was linked to this website via LPT2013 who said to check out Dr Robillard and JAEME posts via Healthboards via google search. It seems as though most people have NOT had success with the Koufman low acid diet and feel Dr Robillard’s works.

I have two really important questions for Dr. Robillard –
    • Can one be completely cured of this?
    • Will I not be able to practice yoga until this is resolved?

I need yoga to calm me – I have been practicing most of my life – a few decades and was certified to teach in 2002, so I am hoping to get this taken care of.

I am trying to get an urgent appointment with a GE that seems to connect nutrition and behavior with digestion and absorption and if anyone has any tests that they think would be important, please advise.

I would love to hear some personal pointers about doing this efficiently from all who have had success. Is there a way to communicate in a more detailed way other than posts on this website?

Thank you Dr Robillard for your wisdom and compassion

Thanks in advance to everyone else for theirs too!

very best!
    bliss

JI
    Participant

Hello bliss,
    Regarding yoga, I have been able to do a few short yoga routines by Yoga with Adrienne without any ill effects. The first one is yoga for acid reflux, the next is yoga for digestion, and the last is yoga for digestion/detox.

I enjoy the routines, and feel they are beneficial. Good luck!

JI
    Participant

Correction, Yoga with Adriene, not Adrienne.

bliss
    Participant

thanx JI !
    is it JI? or Jl?
    I feel that I am not ready for “detox yoga” yet on this new path I had not anticipated – this all came about less than 2-ish weeks ago for me!
    but these videos are inspirational! so appreciative!

You must be further along with healing – how long have you been on this protocol, if I may ask? I am so driven to alleviate this challenge. Any really helpful hints that you may want to share would be wonderful. thanx again bliss.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.