Skip to main content

LPR – General

LPR – General2014-02-02T14:38:49+00:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Comment from Greer (migrated from discontinued thread)
    Thanks Norm for setting this up!

I would love to hear about how others are dealing with LPR – I think the hardest thing is to actually detect it when it is mild but still having a negative impact on the throat… I guess I do not even know what a healthy throat feels like!

here is my experience:

I had wandered for years why I had a strange cough that came and went in one spot in my throat and finally thought I better ask someone about it. About 5 weeks ago I had a camera down my throat and was diagnosed with LPR (silent reflux). Now the sore throat, burning eyes and the weird sneezing all seem to fit.

After being handed a “knee jerk” (old fashioned) reaction list of what not to eat which made no sense I did some research and came across this site – I instigated the program as soon as I had read the Heartburn book – it made absolute sense! (I also bought the IBS book as I realized I had other issues that the FTD would deal with). My throat is so much better using FTD..

The hard thing with LPR is that even one bad reaction to a food will set the throat’s healing back. I also think the challenge is being sensitive enough to detect that you are experiencing small doses of acid vapors to realize there are more foods to wean out.

AussieNana
    Participant

What does LPR stand for?

If its the acid coming back up the oesophagus I deal with that by having more acid (betaine hydrochloride). The theory behind it was that the gut wasn’t producing enough acid to digest the food and when fermentation happened the food wasn’t in a sufficiently digested form to pass on so the gut burps it up instead of down. I don’t know if it is true, just that the extra acid worked for me.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

LPR stands for larygopharygeal reflux. Basically acid or acidic fumes irritating the vocal cords. Great that adding betaine acid is helping you.

Eucalyptus
    Participant

Hello, I am seeing an ENT tomorrow because I have been having typical symptoms related to LPR (lump in throat, difficulty swallowing- (for two years now but the doctors just diagnosed me with dysphagia), sore throat, sour taste in the mouth especially in the morning, post nasal drip) I didn’t realize that this is LPR until recently when I read about how post-nasal drip can be a symptom of LPR. My doctor did not make this connection for me when I first went in to see her two years ago.
    I read Dr.Jamie Koufman’s book “dropping acid,” she mentions that pepsin in your throat or esophagus can be activated by acid coming in from your mouth or acid coming up to your throat and sinus. She recommends lots of oatmeal and bananas. I loosely follow the diet and I think SOME of it makes sense. Except I do notice that when I overeat carbohydrates in a meal it makes me very bloated, and I burp and have lots of acid reflux.
    I am now reading Dr.Robillard’s FTDHearburn book, (1/3 way through) and I think it makes sense. I also have very bad IBS and very lactose intolerant.But I am Asian and grains, especially rice is a large part of my diet.
    I just have one question: in the book Dr.Robillard recommends HCL and enzymes to aid digestion. I had gone to a naturopathic doctor who prescribed HCL with Pepsin, but i am wondering for somebody who has throat and esophagus damage (inflammation or even Barrett’s Esophagus) is HCL or HCL with Pepsin and other enzymes like Bromelain, Papain, etc. safe? It would seem that the capsules should not be a problem if it goes down properly and stays in the stomach, but there are many factors that cause reflux and it is hard to control if the acid/enzymes do come up. I have noticed that garlic makes me burp and reflux a lot, even just garlic oil- why would that be considering that garlic oil is not really a carbohydrate?) Also it would seem that eating a lot of protein is not good since the body would then have to produce more pepsin which causes throat/esophagus damage. But I also think that carbohydrates does cause a lot of gas and contribute to reflux. So that leaves only leafy greens to eat!!
    I am wondering what is the best diet for someone with a damaged throat/esophagus to eat but also to heal their digestive system at the same time without causing more damage to the throat/esophagus.
    I also have another doubt about something mentioned in the book. I’ve always felt more bloated after glutinous rice than long grain rice. But the book mentions that amylopectin is higher in glutinous rice than long grain rice (non-jasmine). Does this still mean that glutinous rice is still more easily digested even though I feel more bloated after eating it than the long grain rice? or are there other possible reasons why I may feel more bloated eating glutinous rice than long grain rice?
    THanks for answering my questions!!

Anonymous

Here’s my story. For a year I had post natal drip and mucus in throat. I just thought I had allergies and would take Claritin and Musinix everyday. Finally this September I actually had heartburn/reflux after 3 days of over eating during a family reunion.This is the only time I’ve ever experienced heartburn. After that I developed a sore throat and a little pain in left ear that wouldn’t go away. I mentioned all these symptoms to my family Dr. he never suggested LPR. He just basically said to take Zantac as needed and keep taking the Claritin. So I started reading about Gerd and learned about LPR. I was due for a colonoscopy and told my surgeon about my throat, I was thinking maybe I had throat cancer since I had the sore throat for so long, I did mention the LPR and he had never heard of it. He did know that reflux could get into your throat. So during the colonoscopy he also did an endoscopy and basically said my throat, esophagus, and stomach were very red, so he took a biopsy form each which showed no pre cancerous cells. He then put me on omeprazole and said come back in a year. I was on the medicine for 3months and had constant stomach gurgling, gas and bloating. The throat stopped hurting but the hoarseness and mucus remained in throat. I also started burping. That’s when I really started researching and got myself off the omeprazole. The only book I could find was the dropping acid book. So I have been very careful about high acid foods, my post natal drip has lessened and the mucus is less. Some high acid foods still burn my throat going down and I still have hoarseness and very light burps during the day. I recently discovered Fast Track digestion and have just started the diet, I hope it will work. My question is can the throat, sinus, mucus ever be healed or is the damage done? The second question is when I burp is that when the vapors are coming up and attacking the throat?

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi 19- I had thw exact same symptoms & experiences. First diagnosed as sinusitis/rhinitis/allergies. Clartin D, nasal steroid sprays, etc. with no relief. So then diagnosed LPR & given Zantac etc. plus very strict low-acid/no-fat/high-carb “just kill me now” diet. My symptoms got worse & I lost a lot of wright I did not need to lose. Found Norm’s site & Fast Tract program- it made so much sense along with other research I read. So happy to say my LPR started clearing up within a few days, and has been almost non-existent for almost two weeks now! One possibility is a gluten intolerance, which can also give LPR symptoms (the FT diet eliminates most gluten the first week). So now my challenge is to decide to try to eat a gluten item for a reaction or not. Either way, Norm’s program is the reason I am so improved!

Anonymous

Thank you for sharing your success with the FT diet Jaeme.I’m very motivated now to stick with it now for the 2weeks to see what happens.

Jaeme
    Participant

Best wishes 19! As I transitioned from the Dropping Acid diet to the FT diet, I did keep out a lot of the high acid foods/off limit foods from the DA diet for a while, and then added one back in a day to see how they affected me. No reaction from tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, coffee, spices – yeah! A couple of days into the FT diet, when it occurred to me that gluten might be part of the puzzle, I even kept out “hidden” gluten like that found in soy sauce & oyster sauce (just drizzled sesame oil & herbs instead). Have not had any of the bread yet, and only very little of the rice. When I introduce a gluten item back into the diet, I should know if that is the issue if I have symptoms again or not.

healthynow
    Participant

The feeling of a very large lump in the throat has always been one of my worst symptoms plus the sore throat, loss of voice, burning, burping etc. It has been discovered that I have a part of the stomach lining in my esophagus, called ectopic mucosal patch. I have been off the P.P.Is now for almost a year and I have no symptoms. I recently had a gastroscopy to make sure I am on the right tract and it all looked good. The doctor told me to keep doing what I am doing. Which is the Fast Tract Diet. I take probiotics on a regular basis and while I still had symptoms. I helped myself with DGL and aloe juice. It seems to heal the sore tissues. I am staying away from all grains, sugars and only eat the vegetables that grow above grounds, meats etc. I can have coffee and wine, eat just before bed if I want and not sleep with lots of pillows any more. The diet is pretty strict, but seems to work.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi HealthyNow – Wow, never heard of the ectopic mucosal patch. Is this a permanent thing, something you were born with, or something that developed due to reflux? So glad to hear the FT Diet has worked for you!

I am glad to say that three weeks of the FT Diet and I too have been mostly symptom free. I also take DGL and the delayed-release probiotics. I have not had the courage to try aloe juice yet. I have been able to add in a little bit of the low FP breads and Rice Chex – I just make sure to chew to the point it is almost liquified. Thrilled to have coffee back, anxious to try a little wine. I have found the diet to be more flexible than others out there, and rather tasty. You are right, it seems to work (thanks Norm!) Just trying to get the fats & calories up to keep weight on.

healthynow
    Participant

Yes, it seems to be a birth defect. Essentially, part of the stomach lining is in the esophagus. Easily overlooked during most gastroscopies. It explains the throat issues, constant mucus and ear aches.
    When I started on the diet I initially lost 20 lbs, felt quite weak etc., but it did level off and I have stayed at the same weight for some time. It takes a while for the body to switch over to get energy from fat rather than the carbs. There is a very good website called aboutlowcarb.com that explains a lot. Stick with it!

Jaeme
    Participant

HealthyNow- thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you found the FT Diet and it is helping you! I actually felt better/more energy once I started the FT, because I was previously on the “medically recommended gold standard” diet for LPR – Dropping Acid Diet. It literally almost killed me. I lost 20 lbs. in a week and a half, was so shaky and weak, and my LPR got much worse. If I hadn’t been through that first, I don’t think I would have dropped as low as I am now. I lost weight at a much slower rate once I started the FT diet, and having fats back made me feel stronger and more energy. My regular diet before all of this was similar to the FT diet except I was eating all the “healthy whole grains” you are “supposed” to eat. I think I have leveled off, but I would like to put some weight back on and build back some muscle. Thank you for the weblink above – will check it out. 🙂

Anonymous

Hi Jaeme and healthy, it’s so great to talk to people that understand my symptoms. Please keep posting guys this is so helpful for me. If there is any extra things you are doing that are helpful please post. Some days I feel completely normal again. I really like this way of eating and I’m at the point of not really missing any of the bad stuff except wine. It still burns my throat. The only bad day was when I ate too much of the eggplant lasagna, it was so good I couldn’t stop eating it. My stomach was just too full and it started churning and I started burping. I have been doing the DGL, powdered, but decided to take a product that has been helping my sister . She’s lucky because she has regular Gerd. Anyway it stopped the rumbling and burps right away. I hope it’s ok to name the product. It’s very expensive, $10.29 for 24 chewable’s. It had lots of good reviews on Amazon, one was LPR related. I bought it on Swanson. gaia herbs, rapid relief , reflux relief. Go on Gaia and it will discuss in depth all the ingredients and what they do for you. I’m so thankful for you guys and especially Norman.

healthynow
    Participant

Well, my experience was this. My symptoms got much better after reading Norm’s first book ‘Heartburn Cured’, but I still had periods of some burning and burping. After reading the second book ‘Fast Tract Digestion’, I realized that there might be too much fibre in my diet. I eliminated things like flaxseeds, chia seeds etc from my smoothies, dark chocolate, which used to be my healthy go to treat, and that finally worked and took the rest of the symptoms away.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi 19 – you may want to check out the posts about tomato sauce over on “Rebound SIBO” thread – I too was having trouble after the eggplant lasagna, and Norm responded there. I had to smile (sadly) at your comment about your sister being “lucky because she only has regular GERD” – I said the same thing to a friend just the other day. Thanks for posting the product – wonder if Norm has any insight to it? Glad it is helping – will check it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.