Skip to main content

LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs

//LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs
LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs2015-03-28T15:28:46+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was diagnosed with LPR, and I have been searching for answers on how to deal with this without taking drugs. I’ve read several different websites that tells you should be on low fat diet, low acid diet,low carb diet, I have also read that eating fat, garlic and onion loosen up the esophogeal sphincter.but decided to start a low carb diet to see if will work. I have a very stressful job and I’ve noticed since the diet that my stress level has gone way up. I have sores in my mouth and my throat feels worse. I am worried that this will get worse, Please respond. Thanks, Gwen

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Tennisgal – when I was first diagnosed with LPR, I was put on acid blocker drugs and a low fat, low acid diet (Dropping Acid Koufmann). My LPR got 10 times worse. Desperate, I searched and found the Fast Tract program. Within just a few days, I was improved and within a few months virtually LPR free (and have been for a year). I have continued to stay on a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet of meat/veggies/dairy/fruit/nuts (all found not to cause problems for me). Make sure to eat a lot of good fat and lots of greens. I do best at 60-80 carbs a day. The biggest thing is to limit the fermentable carbs highlighted in the FT book. My anxiety and stress levels are very calm, even though I am in the middle of my most stressful time ever in 25 year career.

tennisgal54
    Participant

Hi Jaeme, thanks for the reply, but when you first started the low carb diet did you ever feel stressed like you couldn’t relax even though you try different ways to calm down? Sometimes I feel like I’m going to have a heart attack especailly at work. I haven’t received the book yet, but when I do hoping this well give me recipes that will make me feel more relaxed. Thanks

Jaeme
    Participant

How low carb are you? At the beginning, I made the mistake of going too low carb (about 20 a day), which switches you over to burning fat instead of glucose/carbs. This is okay for some people, but for me it did rev up my metabolism/energy and I had trouble sleeping and lost a lot of weight (and I was eating a lot of fat to compensate – definitely need to replace carbs with good fats anytime you restrict carbs, hard to get over if you were taught fats are bad for you). I found my “sweet spot” to be about 60-80 carbs a day – that is where I feel really good overall health, and still control my LPR. I also found that I am good with dairy (fortunate, no lactose issues) and with fruit (again,fortunate no fructose issues), so my current low carb – high fat – moderate protein diet has a lot of variety and a good nutrient profile. Your current diet may be lacking in some nutrients/minerals that regulate our nervous system and hormone levels like thyroid, such as Magnesium which helps a lot with sleep and calm and bowel regularity. The book will definitely help with recipes and meals and explaining a lot of these processes. Another big help to me was working with a Nutritionist who was familiar with low carb diets. Any time you radically change your diet, the body takes time to re-adjust and compensate. I went through three major diet changes in about three months (from whole grains and good fats, to low fat/high carb/low acid with acid blocker drugs, to low carb/high fat), so my system was really confused!

My suggestion would be to look for the low fermentation carbs that you could increase to be not quite so low carb if you are down below 40 or so a day (I felt better when I got above 50, but this is different for everyone). And make sure to eat these low FP carbs with good fats and protein to avoid insulin spikes/crashes. And do this gradually (say add another 10 carbs per week, not a huge amount all at once).

Ryan
    Participant

I am a newly diagnosed LPR sufferer. Began after having an upper respiratory infection over Easter. Was put on antibiotics. Afterwards, my symptoms started with constant throat clearing, mucous and lump in throat. Prescribed a PPI, but refused to take as I know the side effects are dangerous as well I would rather treat the problem than the symptom. Research lead me to the FTD. I am a very healthy 43 year old male. Exercise 6 days a week. Eat really healthy. Was very low carb until a few months ago when I started eating more organic wheat bread. Eat a lot of fruit and veggies and organic beef and chicken and sardines. Hoping this diet works. Also wondering if is ok do egg protein shakes. Over this time span I went from 174 lbs to 164. I am 5’10 height. Can I do this diet and gain my weight back.

ScottB
    Participant

Hi Ryan. Sorry to hear of your problems. I think you can gain weight on this diet if you include plenty of the safe (low-FP) carbs like Jasmine rice. That’s assuming they don’t worsen your symptoms. I don’t know anything about protein shakes.

I’ve had LPR for the past 3.5 years or so. My wife has had symptoms for the past 1.5 to 2 years, off and on.

I’ve been searching for an underlying cause for the LPR. I don’t believe it’s simply SIBO. I do feel better when I eat low-FP foods, but I still have issues with LPR. I have a few questions for you, if you have time:

1. When symptoms first appeared, were you still eating a very low carb diet? Also, were you eating a low-calorie diet at that time? (The answer is Yes for me, to both questions.) Restrictive eating (or eating disorders) have been linked to indigestion and reflux.

2. Do you have a history of anxiety/depression? (Yes for me.) Anxiety has been linked to gastrointestinal disorders, including indigestion.

3. Were you taking anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medications like aspiring, ibuprofen, naproxen when these symptoms first appeared? Or were you eating a lot of high-salicylate foods like extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, or foods high in omega-3? (Yes for me, on the foods, but not on the medications.) Those foods are anti-inflammatory. Anti-inflammatory medications are a common cause of indigestion.

4. Does anyone you live with also have problems with reflux or indigestion? (Yes for me — my wife.) Indigestion has been linked to some infections, like h. pylori bacteria. I was positive for h. pylori on a blood test two months ago. Was treated with the standard triple therapy (two antibiotics and a PPI) for two weeks. No improvement.

Scott

Ryan
    Participant

Thanks for the response Scott.
    I was low carb but I never was never on a low calorie diet. Did not have a lot of anxiety until the symptoms started but have calmed since. I do not take meds of any kind. Have always tried holistic approaches to my problems. However, I was taking a tablespoon of coconut oil in my protein shakes for close to a year now. Have stopped. Does not appear to be anyone else in my family suffering from this issue. How long have you been on the diet. I have cut out all wheat products. I do eat gluten free organic oatmeal from Bob’s Meal. have cut out some of the high FP fruits because I ate a lot of blueberries in my protein shakes. Have only been on it a few days, but symptoms seem improved. Still have a scratchy throat but I think that will go away after it has healed from the burn. I was having a lot of bloating before my symptoms occurred, especially after the antibiotics. Most of that has subsided. Just worried I will not put weight back on.

ScottB
    Participant

Ryan,

I’ve been on this diet for a couple of years now. Well, off and on (mostly on). I’ve been with it strictly since late-March. It has helped with symptoms. But like I said, it hasn’t cured the indigestion/reflux. This Fast Tract diet, combined with a low-FODMAP diet, has also helped with IBS and constipation. No more painful bloating, gas, constipation. That’s great.

Yeah, the scratchy throat will disappear after a few days. I didn’t do well with oatmeal, so I avoid it. The only grain I eat is white rice (Jasmine). I’m sure you can put weight on with plenty of low-FP carbs and fat.

I’ve noticed that if I over do it on fat, I often will get a flare up of reflux. The same goes for fiber. High Fat + High Fiber = the worst symptoms. Butter always seems to cause me problems. Ice cream will sometimes, if I over do it. Cheese seems to be okay, but I try not to over do it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.