Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The Stevia you mentioned has inulin so I would avoid that. You might do a search on seaweed in the forum. There is seawead in the green drink and while it is presumeabley a healthfood food, it does have a mucilaginous quality which I am not sure if that is good when you have SIBO. I put the values in the FP calculator and it came out low. In case seaweed is an issue you can take it out for a while and see.

For breakfast can you eat low-lactose dairy? I eat full fat yogurt (you can add small amount of low FP fruit when your symptoms are gone) I sprinkle cinammon or add a drop of vanilla. Sometimes I have a hard boiled egg or a few slices of bacon with that, and sautee up some green veggies with butter, when I have time, otherwise I just have the yogurt? Or a veggie omlette, or a fritatta that you can bake ahead of time with veggies and cheese and eggs? If you are low symptom you can make a hot jasmine rice cereal and add butter or cream and cinammon? If you tolerate dextrose powder you could add some of that to the hot rice cereal or splenda.

The type of bacteria that drive SIBO symptoms are considered heterolactic fermenting bacteria in that methane or hydrogen is a by-product of their metabolism. Other bacteria don’t produce methane or hydrogen and are considered to be homolactic fermenters, where lactic acid is the sole end product of their metabolism. Lactic acid helps control the ph in the intestines which makes it less hospitable for the gas producers. You can investigate each strain in the VSL to determine this but I think VSL has only safe bacteria. It is just a very potent, high strain product. It may cause some digestive symptoms in some people, or even histamine reactions (you can look up histamine symptoms). If you are unsure of any of your supplements, I would take them out, see if you can get to a better symptom baseline and add them back one at a time.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks very much! This is definitely very helpful. I know I do well with frittatas. Also first thing I will do is cut down the VSL and take only one maybe every two days.

A question about the SIBO, since Dr. Robillard says that reflux and silent reflux, such as what I have, is caused by SIBO, will this SIBO always come up positive in a test taken by a gastro (I assume that is the doctor that would perform that test)? I do not seem to have any of the other symptoms of SIBO. I believe this is somewhat of a new theory and so am a little confused about it. Wouldn’t one have definite SIBO symptoms if they have SIBO. Would all who take the test for SIBO who have reflux come out positive for the SIBO?

ftder
    Participant

I think the SIBO lactulose breath test has false negatives, but a lot of holistic clinitians do use it. SIBO can cause any number of symptoms from bloating, to heartburn and LPR as well. It is all from the same cause: gas-producing microbes, feeding on fermentable foods. I don’t know the answer about refux sufferers and whether they would always test postivie with a SIBO breath test, but likely many would. But when people remove fermentable carbs the symptoms abate. For me personally I don’t want to ingest the lactulose. I can already tell I have SIBO because when I add in starches my digestive symptoms increase. So I feel personally confident that I have SIBO. There is testing available. The question is, is the test result going to change your approach? For me, it would not so I am just going to keep going with the diet. It is important to look at underlying symptoms too such as motility issues. This has been a long standing issue for me (my migrating motor complex/vagal nerve tone probably not optimal).

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks very much, bearsmom! That is very very helpful! I didn’t know what you have to do for the test and it would not change my approach. So guess I will pass on the test.

A few other things I have been wondering about:

1. Is it good to take a digestive enzyme, such as Digest Gold by Enzymedica?

2. Is aloe vera juice good to have a little each day?

3. I have heard that a tsp. of food grade baking soda is good to take three times a day for LPR.

Any information on those things.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Fasttrack Lady

Some people do take an amylase enzyme when eating carbs. Or some combo enzymes to hlep with protein, etc… I personally don’t tolerate enzymes at all, as I have a bladder condition and it just filters out and hurts. As your sibo reduces you digestion will improve as a by-product of the reduction of bacteria in your small intestine. You can look at underlying motility too. I found Dr. Kharrazians ideas about vagus nerve health and the migrating motor complex very valuable for improving MMC which is key to our digestion (how we move our food).

I think Aloe vera gel would have a high FB (mucilagenous) I would not use it or the juice but others may have a different idea about this.

I don’t like to change the ph in my body with the baking soda. Sipping hot water helps me burp so I do that sometimes. The thing that helped the most was for me to dial in my diet, give it some time, and then my LPR mostly resolved. It still comes right back when I try to introduce even safe carbs, so I guess I am a bit stuck for now. Diet therapy is slow, but effective.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi FT Lady – I did and still do take a mild enzyme called Acid Ease by Enzymatic Process (bad name, is not an antacid). It is designed for “sensitive stomachs”. Besides amylase for starches (my big issue) and a little lipase and cellulase, it does have some marshmallow root, slippery elm to coat the digestive tract. I found enzymes with protease like Digest Gold caused stomach pain.

The baking soda idea is from the old “acid is the enemy” protocol from traditional medicine. Norm’s research is that fermentation forces normal stomach acid and fumes up. So reducing stomach acid with acid blockers, or alkaline substances like baking soda, may leave more food undigested to ferment. I have had success taking a mild HCL product called Zypan.

I checked into aloe juice, but decided against it due to too much conflicting information.

I’m with Bearsmom – the most important thing is to dial in your diet to figure out your food issues and give time to heal.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks very much for the helpful responses! It is like putting a big puzzle together 🙂

Here is another product I have been taking that I heard was the absolute best anti-inflammatory thing you could take. Now I wonder if it is okay for this condition of LPR. Would love to hear your opinions on it?

http://www.regulat-usa.com/content/category/2-why-regulat

Here are the ingredients of Regulat:

http://198.89.125.166/developer/img/cms/ProBio-ingredient-label.jpeg

Supposedly it is a great product that is supposed to balance acidity and alkalinity and also a great anti-inflammatory.

Thanks very much for any input on this.

fasttracklady
    Participant
    Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi FTLady,
    Based on the ingredients listed, trying this product should pose no problems I can see. The FP is pretty much zero.

Cme
    Participant

Hi
    I can’t locate your post ‘Fast Tract Forever’. Any chance you can help me to locate it? I would really like to read it. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.