Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear forum,

i am 36 and I am dealing with LPR since 2 years. A 24hours ph-metrie showed that the ph-degree went down to 5.5 during the night.

I tried tu cure it with ppi, but it did not work (3month with 40mg 2 times the day). So i bought the book by Koufmann and tried the diet, but it didn’t work.

I found that website today and i am curious about the many experiences that are shared on this site – having LPR can become quit sad because most dr. do not really know it and tell you that the pain may be psychological…

I am curios about the FT diet. what do you consider to fight the LPR and the Pepsin which might be in my throat.

My larynge hurts since two years and i am really sick of it. The strange thing is, in periodes were i am not caring about my food i get the feeling that the pains in my larynge is getting better – however, it does not dissapear completely.

I am really looking forward for answers and ideas on how to deal with this sickness that ruined my last two years. And i am sorry if my english is not perfect but i am not a native speaker. however i hope that i am understandable 🙂

Best regards

ftder
    Participant

Hi Ferris
    did you read the stories under the “LPR-General” section. There you will find some very encouraging reports that after following Fast Track Diet, relief starts to happen for many! Give the diet time, and if it is not giving you the results you want after 2-4 weeks, then vistit his trouble shooting discussion in the Fast Track Digestion:IBS book. The thing about SIBO, is that you can get some quick relief, AND also you need to keep at it so that the bad bacteria are reduced, a better bacterial balance is acheived, and healing of the GI tract and the other parts of the digestive tract can start to happen. Keep at it!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Ferris – I went through the same “modern medicine” steps you did with the acid blocker drugs, Koufman diet, etc. which all just made my LPR worse. The Fast Tract diet save my life – I am virtually 100% LPR-free, unless I cheat with the foods the FT method showed me trigger my LPR symptoms (grains & starchy carbs like potatoes & beans). See my post over at “Fast Tract Forever?” for more info. Everyone’s system is different, and it may take some longer than others to improve, but I think Norm’s research is spot-on. I started the FT diet for LPR, but my other health issues went away too. The gut rules everything else, and if it isn’t working right, nothing else will. Lots of good help and support here on these forums. Hand in there!

fasttracklady
    Participant

can someone tell me how to create a new topic?

Also I have a question about inulin. I have been using Sweetleaf and notice it has inulin as one of the ingredients. I think I had a shortness of breath LPR symptom after using it. I have ordered some organic SweetLeaf with no inulin in it. Does this have something to do with sugar alcohols? And is it something to be avoided?

Thank you very much for any information on this. Would be so much appreciated. I am following the diet and experimenting to see what are possible triggers.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Oops, I was referring to SweetLeaf STEVIA!

fasttracklady
    Participant

Can anyone answer the question above about inulin?

Thanks very much for any advice!

fasttracklady
    Participant

I have had shortness of breath for almost ten weeks now. I have had my heart checked out thoroughly and chest x-ray and all was okay. Then I went to a pulmonologist and she suggested temporary asthma that comes after a cold or some type of reflux. After much research, I found that my symptoms (coughing, clearing throat, and shortness of breath) very likely might be LPR or Silent Reflux. I found the book Fast Tract Diet and have been following. My symptoms seemed to have improved. Up to then, I had been on a high-grain ayurvedic diet. I did well on the fast track diet for a while but still am having the shortness of breath symptom. One thing I found I might be reacting to is inulin in the stevia I have been using. I stopped it yesterday. Today I was perfect with the diet but had English muffin for breakfast with Farmer cheese, then lunch was turkey and some veggies, dinner, jasmine rice and some veggies, some cut up watermelon during the day. Tonight I had a very bad night. All my symptoms are gone except the shortness of breath. I think I will try to do no carbs at all and see how that works. Next will be a trip to an allergist, gastro, or ENT doctor. I just don’t know why I am still having that symptom. Thanks very much for any advice anyone can provide.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Fasttrack lady
    I have had that symptom intermittently too and yes, I think it is likely LPR. You might cut the carbs out for a few days and then when you add back only have carbs (fruit, muffin, jasmine rice) 1 time per day, and then maybe up to two times per day. It sounds like the watermellon was a snack? I don’t do as well when I snack, especially if i am having symptoms, so you might want to leave out the watermellon for now, or just have a bit as the carb at your meal time, not as an extra carb snack. Also, I would nix the muffin for a while and just stick with 1/2 cup fresh cooked jasmine rice one time per day or every other day, per the intro diet. Do you know what your daily FP is right now? It seems at first glance higher than the recommendations for the intro diet. Maybe go back to that level of FP and see how you do? Keep us posted. Oh, and yes you could go lower carb for a little bit, I did and it helped but started to create some other imbalances so now I am trying to get out of low carb mode and add some carbs back@

ftder
    Participant

Oh and yes inulin is an issue I think. I have heard there are safe stevia formulations but they can’t have that in it. I would stick with small amount of dextrose powder when you lpr has improved or for now, splenda. I don’t use any sweeteners-just easier for me.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks very much, bearsmom, really appreciate your response.

Two other issues:

One is that I used ginger soy sauce on the rice, organic, and think that may have been a trigger. Although I have used it in the last few weeks and didn’t notice. But now I am keeping a food diary and writing what might be triggers.

For example, after eating avocado I was clearing my throat the whole day so I have stopped that.

The other thing is that after doing pretty well for a week or so, I went yesterday for a PFT, pulmonary function test, at the pulmonologist. As part of the test, they give you this broncodillator, and wonder if I had a reaction to that.

Thanks for your advice. Will definitely try all your suggestions.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Another question I have is about probiotics. I do use something called VSL#3, which is supposed to be a great probiotic. Does Fasttrack diet say anything about that?

Thank you!

ftder
    Participant

Dr. Robillard has indicated that non-gas forming strains might be tried to see how they go: Lactobacillus and bifido type strains. My doctor uses single strain and not as potent as multi strain VSL #3. For my auto immune condition VSL #3 will be too strong. She separates the strains to see how people respond. I use Natren brand, formulated to survive stomach acid.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks again! Hmm, I thought VSL#3 was so great. I was advised to take two in the morning. Maybe I will cut down to one in the morning and see if it makes any difference.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Now that we are speaking of probiotics, I am wondering if the green drink has been causing LPR symptoms (shortness of breath) since this week, not sure what to have for breakfast, Ihave been having this green drink, Vitaminerals Green, that has probiotics in it. The ingredients are listed here:
    https://healthforce.com/superfoods-rejuvenation/vitamineral-green

Is it possible that this would cause a reaction, since I am also taking the VSL#3 (which I am cutting down to one today and may even skip a few days to see if that might be an issue).

Thanks very much for any advice on whether this product might be a problem.

fasttracklady
    Participant

PS what is meant by a non gas forming strain; how would one know this? (this is PS to my question above)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.