Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Norm, so should we not try to reheat the left-over sticky rice or jasmine rice as instructed in the book? I wonder about just the cooling the rice does while on your plate while eating a meal?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Fresh is best Jaeme. Don’t worry about cooling on your plate while you eat, but refrigerating will allow Resistant starch to form. Some of that becomes regelatinized upon reheating, but not all of it.

Jaeme
    Participant

Based on FP values, Jasimine is -3 or -4 (both numbers are used in the FT book) and Sticky is +3. Yet sticky rice is used in most of the FT recipes. Would jasmine be the better choice?

george72
    Participant

Not really a recipe, but a nice thing to cook is queso de freir (fried cheese–lightly pan fried). Similar to halloumi cheese. The brand I use has soy protein as part of the cheese cultures–just mentioning in case soy is a problem for individuals.

Another great chicken recipe is Chicken Tagine. I served it with jasmine rice cooked with saffron:

two to four cloves of garlic, minced
    olive oil (or any oil) for pan-frying chicken and mixing marinade
    one or two chickens, cut into serving sized pieces; or similar amount of chicken breasts–alternately, you can use chicken breasts and thighs–I keep the skin on.

Spices:
    quarter teaspoon black pepper
    quarter teaspoon ground ginger
    pinch of saffron
    one teaspoon cumin (optional)
    one teaspoon turmeric (optional)
    one stick of cinnamon or a few pinches of ground cinnamon (optional)
    one teaspoon coriander (optional)
    two onions, finely chopped (use less if you prefer)
    two cups chicken broth or stock (or water)
    one cup green olives (less or omit if you prefer)
    two preserved lemons, cut into slices (see below)
    salt, to taste

Cooking:
    Mix the garlic, some black pepper, and a spoonful of oil. Rub the chicken with the mixture and set aside for a few hours or overnight.

Heat the oil in a tagine. Fry the chicken until all sides begin to brown. Add spices. (The black pepper, ginger, and saffron are most typical. If you have no saffron, consider one or two of the optional spices, which can be added according to you liking.) Add onions. Stir-fry over high heat for a few minutes.

Add chicken broth, stock, or water. Bring to broil. Reduce heat. Cover, but leave a crack for steam to escape. Simmer over low heat for thirty minutes or more.

Add olives and preserved lemons. Add salt and adjust seasoning. Continue to simmer. Remove chicken and set aside. If necessary, bring sauce to boil, stirring continuously, until thickened.

Serve chicken, covered with sauce.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks George, I want to try both of these recipes. They sound delicious!

Jaeme
    Participant

Buttermilk Braised Radishes

1 lb. radishes, cut into wedges or thick slices
    1 Tbsp. butter
    12 oz. buttermilk
    Pinch salt
    Options: garlic powder, pepper, parsley, etc.

Saute radishes in butter until they start to brown. Add buttermilk and desired seasonings. Simmer for about 30 minutes until tender. Can top with cheese and a bit of diced onion.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

This sounds good Jaeme! I was planting my garden today and realize I forgot to include radishes this year. Thanks for the reminder.

danb1
    Participant

I’ve been making a kind of improvised chocolate cake using avacados, almond flour, vanilla essence, some dates (and/or splenda to sweeten), a bit of cream and coconut oil. Obviously chocolate powder is quite fiber-y, so use as much or little as you want. I didn’t find I needed much of Green and Blacks from here in the UK. Also, I used quite a lot of pre-melted coconut oil, so it goes hard in the fridge. I suppose you could add more nuts if you are able to take them.
    I just played with the proportions (I like to improvise), but I guess the avacados need to form the basis for the blend. I’m guessing you could also use Pumpkin too. I them blended it all up into what tastes and looks like a cake mixture, adding things as I go and then you can portion it out and put it in the fridge.
    Nice cold with cream on x

Jaeme
    Participant

Asian Cabbage Rolls:

8 oz. ground sirloin
    4 oz. shitake mushrooms, chopped
    1/2 c. cooked Jasmine rice
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbsp. minced ginger
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    diced water chestnuts
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. sesame oil
    1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
    Salt & pepper/seasonings to taste
    Nappa cabbage leaves (set aside)

~ Combine all the above ingredients and stuff into Napa cabbage leaves. Roll up and place seam-side down in baking dish. Add 1 cup of your choice of: broth (miso broth would be good), wine, or water.

~ Bake at 400 degrees F, for 30-40 min.

cmcuk
    Participant

OOH! thanks for all this posting really excited by the idea that once I get used to the planning of FTD, I can make myself some treats! Came across the following homemade chocolate type stuff!
    http://exsugarholic.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/fudgy-chocolate/
    If I got it right, the use of glucose syrup and cocoa butter, means the only FP to worry about is the cocoa powder, and the whole batch (100g) comes in at about 4FP. As she avoids fructose, she uses dextrose for her recipes (though she uses banana and coconut in others so not so low FP friendly there)
    Interested in hearing more of your experiences with chocolate cake, danb, especially as you are here in the Uk, so your ingredients will be easy for me to find.

Lenka
    Participant

Protein bars (make 4 small pieces, did not have more ingredients at home:-)
    ————

• 20g of walnuts (or any other of your choice)
    • 10g pumpkin seed
    • 10g sunflower seeds meat (residue from making sunflower milk – seeds left to soak for few hours, then blended with hand blender and strain. The residue left to dry and ground to fine powder) sunflower seeds can be used instead,but the bars will be more oily
    • 10 g of hemp protein (hemp hearts,coconut powder or amaranth flakes can be used instead for example)
    • 4g of cocoa powder
    • spices (grounded coriander seeds, cinnamon, clove)
    • 1 tea spoon of home made sugar beet syrup (any allowed liquid sweetener will do the trick)
    • bit of dextrose (α-D-glucose) powder*
    • few drops of lemon juice (assume orange oil,grapefruit seeds oil can be used instead)
    • lemon zest (as much as you’d like)
    • 3g of sea-buckthorn flakes (can be fully omitted,just ads nice color,texture, flavor)

Blend all together,transfer into any non sticky pan (individual silicone cupcake pans works well), press well and let refrigerated.

* I used the dextrose as I was aware of the fructose content in the sugar beet syrup that is unknown to me (I have assumed that to be 50:50 fructose:glucose as in the white sugar) and from this reason wanted to keep the amount of the sugar beet syrup as low as possible, it just makes the nice flavor and the addition of the dextrose was to make it “enough” sweet.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.