Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Low FP Recipes 1 got a bit off track – gluten, testing, etc. Let’s see if we can focus more on recipes in this thread.

Note on an updated recipe for Key Lime Pie. We recently updated the recipe for Key lime pie for the second print of Fast Tract Digestion Heartburn due out in May. The ebook recipe is also being updated. The problem was that the filling did not always solidify well and a small amount of gelatin was added. FTD IBS print and ebook already have the updated recipe. Here is the updated recipe:
    Key Lime Pie — Serves 8 — FP 5 grams
    4 egg yolks, beaten
    1¾ cups light cream
    ½ cup lime juice (about 4 limes, key limes are not
    necessary)
    2 teaspoons gelatin
    3 teaspoons lime zest (gratings of lime skin)
    4 tablespoons Splenda or dextrose
    2 cups whipped cream (Refer to Day 1 recipe)
    Almond crust (recipe below)
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Beat the egg yolks. Wisk the gelatin together with the lime juice, lime zest and Splenda. Combine and mix the light cream, egg yolks and lime juice. Pour the mixture into the prebaked pie crust (recipe below) and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and cool, then refrigerate. Add whipped cream and serve with a lime wedge.
    Almond Crust — makes one pie
    1½ cup ground almond flour
    4 tablespoons Splenda or dextrose
    ¼ cup butter, melted
    Mix together almond flour, Splenda or dextrose, and melted butter. Press the mixture into a greased 9-inch pie pan covering both the bottom and sides of the pan. Prebake the crust at 375 degrees for about 7 minutes.
    It takes about 15 key limes to make ½ cup of key lime juice. Substituting 3-4 regular limes seems to work fine.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Norm! BTW – I have been eating the pure pumpkin puree (about 1/3 cup) drizzled with some heavy cream and a dash of cinnamon – yummy low FP (correct?) dessert or snack 🙂

Jaeme
    Participant

Found this recipe for Tomato-Fennel Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower & Olives – sounds like it will fit the FT Diet with adjustments for portions:

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/RecPrint.aspx?rid=10704

INGREDIENTS
    8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1 cup dry white wine, divided
    1 28-ounce can tomatoes, crushed
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon sun-dried tomatoes, minced
    1 lemon, grated for zest
    1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    4 cups cauliflower florets
    1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
    DIRECTIONS
    In large pot over high heat, warm olive oil. Add chicken and brown on both sides, cooking for about 3 – 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from heat; reduce heat to low. Pour off excess oil. Add to same pot garlic and 1 tablespoon white wine. Cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining wine, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, fennel seeds, cayenne pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest and olives.

Return chicken to pot; increase heat to high. Bring sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover pot. Simmer 25 minutes. Stir in cauliflower florets. Simmer cauliflower and chicken together 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and cauliflower is tender.

To serve, spoon chicken onto serving platter and top with sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.

Jaeme
    Participant

I was looking for a low FP snack that had high fat but not using cheese or meat for a change. I tried a few rice crackers dipped in olive oil I seasoned with Italian herbs, granulated garlic and some red pepper flakes (just like what I would dip bread in before the FP diet). It was very good and satisfying due to the olive oil fat.

Greer
    Participant

I am guessing that as you do not know what type of rice the crackers are made of it might be a bit risky to consume much of this – what do you think Norm?

I have been making Asian sticky rice balls (some are called onde onde) which you can make sweet or savory and could dip in olive oil / cream / sour cream.

1/2 cup sticky rice flour / glutinous flour
    water to bind (Am going to try cream next time – some people use coconut milk)
    knead together till like play dough ( the dough can be crumbly/dry so add in more moisture)

roll into balls – I make mine small less than 3/4 ” diameter so they cook fast and really well
    drop into boiling water
    when they rise to the top they are cooked
    (they can also be steamed for about 10-15 mins)

They can be rolled into anything low FP you wish – almond flour with or without sweetener, ground hazelnuts, peanuts, coconut etc… could try rolling them in unsweetened ground nuts with herbs and dip in olive oil when you eat – must try that!

You can add in dextrose or other sweetener, nuts etc into dough before making balls or just put in rolling mix. Traditionally I understand a filling is put in the middle and the plain mix is around the outside – but I have not mastered making these so the filling does not break out – still taste OK… I reckon there are many low FP options for these…

They are quite chewy – some people call it rubbery but I really love them.

I have been using them for hiking and hard physical work situations and they really help – they pack in a small plastic box without being individually wrapped, and do not break apart and the rolling mixture sticks amazingly well too.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Greer- I hope we can find the sticky rice flour here in the US. I love the rice balls that are served at Asian restaurants here – even the “rubbery” texture. Your recipe sounds delicious!

Since a half-cup of rice flour is more “dense” than a half cup of sticky rice, I am assuming you figure the FP based on weight/oz./gram? How does that translate to the cooked product?

My big question with rice, is the starch conversion once the rice cools. Does this happen at room temperature or only when it is refrigerated/frozen? How long do the rice balls keep at room temperature?

Jaeme
    Participant

Here’s one for Norm – make modifications to meet FP points. 🙂

Spicy Kimchi Tofu Stew:

1 – 16 oz. silken tofu, cut into 1″ cubes
    1 Tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil or avocado oil
    4 cups gently squeezed kimchi, chopped, plus 1 cup liquid
    2 Tbsp. gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
    8 scallions, cut into 1″ pieces
    2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. sesame oil
    Freshly ground black pepper
    6 large egg yolks

Simmer tofu in pot of boiling salted water until slightly puffed and firmed (4 minutes). Remove with slotted spoon to medium-sized bowl.
    Heat oil in heavy pot, add kimchi & gochujang and saute (stirring often) until beginning to brown (5-8 minutes). Add kimchi liquid & 8 cups water. Bring to boil, then down to simmer until kimchi is softened & translucent (35-40 minutes). Add scallions, soy sauce & tofu and simmer gently until tofu has absorbed flavors (20-25 minutes, tofu will fall apart a little). Add sesame oil, season with salt & pepper. Ladle stew into bowls and top with egg yolk (alternately, top with cooked whole egg or even poach whole egg in soup while it finishes).

Jaeme
    Participant

Bok Choy with Mushrooms & Zucchini

I make up a whole batch of this and then portion it out for FP points:
    1-2 Tbsp. olive/coconut/avocado oil (your choice)
    About 1/2 of a large bok/pac choi, chopped with leaves too
    About 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
    About 1/2 of a small summer squash &/or zucchini
    1 scallion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, crushed & minced (or granulated garlic to taste)
    Fresh ground black pepper & salt to taste

Saute mushrooms & scallions lightly in oil. Then add garlic, bok/pac choi, and squash with a little water in bottom of pan. Cover with lid and simmer gently until veggies are softened a bit and water absorbed. Remove lid, stir gently, and season with salt & pepper. Serve with a drizzle of sesame oil.

Jaeme
    Participant

Greer – check out this version of sticky rice balls, especially the Pumpkin version:

Thai Rice Balls in Warm Coconut Milk, ‘Bua Loi’

Here we prepare two different versions, one basic and another similar using pumpkin to create a vivid orange color and rich flavor.
    Ingredients

1 cup glutinous rice flour
    1/2 cup water
    2 1/2 cups water
    2 1/2 cups coconut milk cream (see below)
    3/4 cup packed palm sugar (use dextrose or Splenda, etc.)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs (optional)
    Method

In a mixing bowl, mix the flour with water to make a stiff dough. Knead well and roll the dough into small balls.

In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Toss in the flour balls and boil until done (they will float to the surface). Remove with a slotted spoon and rinse with cool water, drain and set aside.

To get coconut cream, remove the lid from a can of coconut milk and, without stirring the contents, remove the top cream and discard the thin liquid. Our Chaokoh brand is very high quality so it only takes about 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk to yield 1 1/4 cups coconut cream.

In a large pot, mix 2 cups coconut cream with palm sugar/sweetener. Bring to a boil and add the cooked flour balls. When the mixture returns to a boil again, remove from heat.

For the topping: in a small saucepan, dissolve 1/2 cup coconut cream with salt. Remove from heat just as it gets hot.

Serve in individual bowls with topping.

Pumpkin Version
    Ingredients

1.5 cups glutinous rice flour
    2 1/2 cups coconut milk
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup packed palm sugar (use dextrose, Splenda, etc.)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (or a bit more)
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup squash or pumpkin

Method

Peel your squash, remove seeds, and slice the flesh into small pieces. Steam this until it cooks, about 15 minutes. Mash it, and measure 1/2 cup. (or use pumpkin puree – not pie mix)

In a mixing bowl, mix the rice flour with cooked squash. Add water and knead it until smooth. You might need to add a bit more water.

Roll dough and shape it all into little marble-sized balls.

In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Toss in the flour balls and boil until done (they will float to the surface). Remove with a slotted spoon and rinse with cool water, drain and set aside.

Warm coconut milk over low heat with grated palm sugar and salt. Raise temperature and bring to a low boil. Add cooked bua loi balls, stir gently, remove from heat and serve in individual bowls.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme,
    Interesting. If you have tried the recipe, I have a couple of questions: What was the consistency of the rice balls (I am used to rice balls made out of actual rice)? Also did you experience any symptoms after consuming them? Thanks!

Greer
    Participant

Thanks Jamie – I will try those… sound yum – will have to skip the coconut milk as it gives me symptoms 🙁

Did you find the glutinous rice flour? – I get it for pennies at the Asian grocery here in Australia.

Norm – the consistency of the glutinous rice balls is a bit rubbery/chewy – but it is a favorite Asian texture (used for dumplings and sweets) – some people do not like it but I love it.

As to the FP – glutinous flour is flour made from sticky rice so I reckon you can base it on the weight as you would for cooked rice. I cooked them then reheated them before heading out hiking and then they cool as I go – I do not know if this second heating helps loosen up the resistant starch or it reforms?? (Norm do you know?) I had no symptoms after consuming them and I was able to do a 24 km (12 mile) hike on the strength of them – I just make thumbnail sized ones with almond flour and tiny bit of dextrose mixed in and eat one every now and then while walking… made such a difference.

I would store in fridge when not “on the job”. Have not tried freezing.

Greer
    Participant

A recipe I thought well worth sharing: Corsican Cheese cake
    FP hardly anything…

Corsican Cheesecake
    • Serves: 8-10
    • Oven temperature: 180°C (160C fan forced) think that is 350°F /330°F
    • Cook time: 40 to 50 minutes
    • Pan: 20 cm springform cake tin
    Ingredients:
    500 g fresh ricotta cheese
    ¾ cup Dextrose (less would be fine too)(I do not like Splenda but worth trying with that if you like it)
    1 lemon, finely zested
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1-2 tablespoon of a flavoursome alcohol (such as Cointreau or Grappa)- I just use a generic low alcohol orange liquor
    5 large eggs

How To:
    – Preheat the oven. Butter a 20 cm springform cake tin.
    – In a bowl, combine the cheese with ¼ cup of dextrose and the lemon zest. Use an electric mixer and beat until well combined. Stir in the lemon juice and alcohol.
    – In another bowl, with electric mixer, whisk the eggs with the remaining sugar for about 5 minutes until thick, pale and foamy.
    – mix in the ricotta mix to obtain a creamy texture make sure well mixed – DO NOT over mix.
    – Pour the mixture in the cake tin and bake in the oven for around 40+ minutes longer better I think or it is very wet (I turn it to fan forced for 20 mins after the 40 mins) but keep checking it might be different in your oven.
    – ***(very runny mixture which might leak form your spring from pan – put pan of water underneath to catch drips – water stops it burning)
    – Allow to cool before turning out.
    – Chill

Yummy served with cream poured over and berries
    FP would be tiny: the lemon juice and the berries you have with it.

** if you do not like lemon could leave it out I reckon – am going to try that next – just some vanilla and orange liquour…

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Greer,
    ” I cooked them then reheated them before heading out hiking and then they cool as I go – I do not know if this second heating helps loosen up the resistant starch or it reforms?? (Norm do you know?) I had no symptoms after consuming them”
    Good you had no symptoms. Can’t argue with that. But in general, I think fresh warm sticky rice is best. Cooling and reheating will have more resistant starch all of which is not eliminated by reheating. I also wonder if the chewy consistency of rice balls made from sweet rice flour will have a higher FP than regular rice, particularly if cooled and reheated.

But I don’t want to rain on your parade or hike. Just something to keep in mind.

Greer
    Participant

Hi Norm thanks for that…I will indeed keep it in mind!
    Does it make sense that as I am only eating a tiny bit at a time while hiking – I would say one thumbnail ball every hour at most – that not enough is in the gut at any one time to cause problems (at least not for me)??

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Makes sense Greer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.