Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Great progress Jaeme. I am actually surprised to see LPR respond that fast. Certainly not complaining.

mchurch314
    Participant

Well, I tried thew Balsamic vinegar and it did not offer create any real problems nor did it cure me in some miraculous way. I agree with you Norm that those with GERD likely have a sufficient (or maybe excessive) acid production as opposed to to little acid. I often read about ACV the virtues of ACV. I even tried it for about 2 weeks and thought my GI tract was going to catch on fire (lol–actually it wasn’t that funny). I’m pretty sure the Balsamic “cure” is the same strategy of adding acid to a low acid environment and I guess that could be the case since I’m taking 2 Nexium per day (which works against the PPI — your point Norm) but my goal is to stop the Nexium.

Jaeme, what are you symptoms of LPR. I’ve been diagnosed with Globus (I feel like my esophagus is raw and swollen from my thyroid to my lymph nodes under my jaw bones.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi MC- I have gobs of post-nasal drainage, lots of heavy throat mucus, globus, constant throat clearing, inflamed larynx. Was originally diagnosed as sinusitis/allergic rhinitis. Nasal sprays/decongestants etc. did not help. Glad to say Norm’s plan is helping- best I’ve felt in a long time in just a few days. Keeping my fingers crossed!

mchurch314
    Participant

Good to hear Jaeme…I too have recently been prescribed Flonase for post-nasal drip (which I do have) but likely not the cause of my LPR. I’m banking a lot on Norm’s diet. If it doesn’t work I don’t know where to turn. The only thing that helped my Globus is Lorazapam but it cause severe neck weakness and pain so I stopped it. Please keep me updated on your progress and I will do the same. I am minimizing my FP’s but still have not committed to the diet because I’m trying to reclaim some weight that has been lost over the past 6 months. My wife and I are committed to following the diet explicitly starting on March 12th. I really hope this works because I will start weaning off the Nexium on the 26h of March.

Jaeme
    Participant

Best wishes for your journey to health MC!
    One other thing to consider, since I seemed to respond to Norm’s diet so quickly: I researched about gluten and sinus, and found that some people do not get the traditional gluten intolerance gut disturbance symptoms. Instead, they have “leaky gut” that puts those irritants into the bloodstream causing inflammation in other parts of the body. This can show up as clogged sinuses, heavy post-nasal drip, clogged throat, and sinus infections. I am wondering if I have this type of gluten intolerance instead of reflux LPR, since cutting out the wheat is part of Norm’s diet the first week (either way, I credit Norm’s diet for my improvement). Here is a link to a blog that talks about this: http://kadavy.net/blog/posts/wheat-gluten-sinus/
    BTW – I am keeping weight steady now that I am on Norm’s diet – having fats back has helped a lot! While on the low-acid/no-fat diet, I lost 20 pounds in a week and half and felt terrible. It was all veggies and carbs. Bananas and graham crackers every day, with skim milk and veggies was awful! (and the exact opposite of what Norm says we should be doing). I am totally off of the Zantac – I weaned from the 150mg. to the 75mg. to nothing now.
    “According to the medical journal research – the most likely food intolerances leading to sinusitis are those which cause Leaky Gut syndrome:
    Dairy intolerance (via casein protein)
    Gluten intolerance (gluten protein)
    Yeast Sensitivity (yeast proteins)
    Corn allergy (zein protein)
    Nightshade sensitivity (lectins)

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Great progress Jaeme! Thanks for sharing your progress and resources from you own research.

mchurch314
    Participant

Yes Jaeme, please continue to keep us updated. I’m just a few weeks behind you. I hope that I have your kind of success. I’ll pay attention to symptoms and food connections (paying special attention to Glutens and Lactose). I’m seeing a ENT next week to rule out something else going on with my throat. My lymph nodes and the left side of my adams apple is actually sore to the touch. I wouldn’t think that this is a typical LPR or esophageal spasm issue. Also, I know that I have a severely deviated septum which contributes to my post nasal drip. Thats why my GP prescribed the Flonase. This is such a guessing game. All we can do is eliminate the obvious, pick a course of action and give it a try. The FP diet is on deck. While i have been gearing my diet towards low FP’s and only good fats I haven’t specifically followed the two week diet outlined in the book. That starts on March 12th. I’ll start tapering the Nexium on March 27th and will be keeping everyone updated on my progress.

mchurch314
    Participant

By the way, Hershey make a chocolate sauce (for ice cream, etc.) that is sugar free and uses Sucrolose (Splenda) and Erythritol (the sugar alcohol that Norm said was relatively benign as is relates to the FP diet). Also, Jaeme, I bought some Stevia in the raw and used it to sweeten my tea. It taste pretty good. Next I’ll try on my Rice Chex cereal. That will be the ultimate test.

Jaeme
    Participant

HI MC – You really are just a few weeks behind me, and I hope you have this same success (day 5 with no LPR, sinus or pn drip). I did start gearing toward the FT diet before I started it (and I am glad I did – transitioning from the low-acid/no-fat diet all at once would have been quite a shock to the system). I too have a deviated septum and was given nasal sprays over the last few years including Flonase, Omnaris, and most recently Dymista (and Neti pot too). None really worked, nor did Claritin D, etc. What pushed me over the edge was that I do a lot of public speaking for my job, and my vocal folds were getting very sore along with swollen lymph nodes and cysts/swollen thyroid. The entire area was inflamed and sore (but oddly not the traditional sore interior throat) from all of the coughing, gagging, throat clearing, constant attempts at swallowing the globus, etc.

I am so completely amazed at how this FT diet has helped – I spoke for two hours today, and no pain or hoarseness in my throat, thyroid area swelling almost gone. My right nostril/sinus (the deviated side) is clear for the first time in years. I originally kept the traditional reflux foods out of Norm’s recipes (tomatoes, onions, acid fruits, coffee, etc.), and have been adding one back at a time. So far, great!

I have found the recipes very easy to adjust – such as using olive oil for butter, low sodium meat choices, etc. I also had to “reuse” a few meals due to time constraints, or sub a different veggie, as long as the FP points were about the same. I have not eaten many of the desserts, but that has allowed a few FP points in other areas (such as a small glass of lactose-free milk). I have used a few ounces of nuts and one dried date in place of the nut mixes (since I did not want the added sodium or Splenda).

Thanks a bunch for the chocolate tip above – will have to try it. Keep us posted, and keeping my fingers crossed for you!

mchurch314
    Participant

Hey Jaeme….you sound like the female version of me. lol Your symptoms (especially those related to the throat) are a mirror image of mine. The painful lymph nodes, the sore but not sore throat, the throat clearing, feeling need to force burb and general throat discomfort. It’s funny that you described it as a sore throat but not a sore throat. It’s hard to describe that to people. I hardly had symptoms in my stomach until doctors started “treating” me for GERD. My issues were all originally in my throat. They have since moved to my stomach as well (maybe to to all the acid suppression). Do you have headaches, jaw aches or back of neck pain?

I’m slowly but surely moving towards the FP diet. I watch my FP’s though not at the 30’s-40’s level indicated in Norm’s first two week diet daily intake. I’m learning a lot about foods and GI, Carbs, sugars substitutes, etc. in preparation for March 12th. I’m seeing my new GI tomorrow (I flew home from Texas — where I spend much of the Winter — to St. Louis just to see him). I hope that he is supportive of the FP diet or we won’t get along very well. 🙂 I’m going to try to get him to review the book so he understands what we’re doing.

Jaeme
    Participant

MC-Yep! Same symptoms here (and so hard to explain to anyone). I had no stomach issues either. Fotunately this latest “medical” attempt at treating LPR I was only on 150mg Zantac at night for less than a month. After I weaned off, I did have some minor gastric pain about an hour after eating for several days (due to Zantac rebound I am convinced). I did take DGL (deglyzz. licorice) to help coat stomach. Seemed to help. Now to figure out whether this is SIBO or gluten. Either way Norm’s plan has been a godsend! My gastro guy poo-pooed the idea & just wanted to Rx more meds. Wonder what he will say now?

JI
    Participant

Jaeme,
    You can get tested for SIBO. My Gastroenterologist ordered the test only after I kept complaining to her about the same GI distress issues. I did not know about SIBO until the test was ordered. I had a very advanced case which I believe was caused or worsened by taking Nexium for five months.

mchurch314
    Participant

Jaeme, I need to have that test performed. What does in entail? BTW, I saw my GI today. He said that while my test show some minor Gastritis and that he believe that I have GERD, he is inclined to believe that I have a hyper-sensitive GI tract that is causing the throat issues which I think is a catch all for “I don’t know”. He wants my ENT (who I see next week) to scope my esophagus to see if he sees evidence of LPR (my GI did not have a scope that would see that in his office). If not, he wants me to reduce my Nexium to 1 per day and then start the weaning process after another month. If they find LPR, he wants me to stay on the 2 Nexium for another month and then start the reduction. At least he believes that you need to taper off of PPI’s. MY GI in Texas doesn’t believe that you need to slowly taper and wanted me to go cold turkey (I wasn’t going to do that regardless of his beliefs). The GI doctor today (my normal GI doc) told me he wants me to take 7.5mg of Remeron for 3 months to help settle the GI tract and to help with discomfort and appetite. He said that my throat issues would resolve on their own and did not ask me to undertake a specific diet. I started talking diet and he mentioned the FODMAP diet saying that the diet is to restrictive and hard to stay on. I then brought up the FP diet and told him that I was going to follow that. He was good with that but was skeptical that I could maintain the discipline the diet needs to work. He obviously doesn’t know me very well and also doesn’t know that once things get back to “normal” the FP diet is less restrictive. It’s been an interesting journey, one that I would not wish on anyone yet interesting all the same.

JI
    Participant

MC, are you referring to the test for SIBO? If so, it is called a Hydrogen Breath Test. You start by drinking a cup of very sugary water. Over the course of a few hours, you will breathe into a tube about every 15-20 minutes. Lactulose or glucose are the sugars used. It is better to get the test with lactulose because the glucose one may only detect more advanced cases. Preparation for the test includes a special diet the day before, fasting overnight and in the morning, and some medication restrictions leading up to it. You will get very detailed instructions from the testing facility beforehand.

mchurch314
    Participant

Jaeme….yes I was referring to the SIBO test. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like it will play hell with my FP diet!! lol I’ll check it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.