Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Here is the first recipe topic area. Please share some of your low FP recipes here! Bonus points for calculating and posting the approximate FP values.

WER4health
    Participant

I have a few adaptions for recipes I use very often:
    1) Shrimp Creole
    Here are some of my adaptations:
    Serves 2
    10 large shrimp, peeled
    1 tbs olive oil
    5 oz sweet onion, chopped
    1 celery stalk, chopped
    17 oz canned tomatoes, with no sugar, of course
    6 oz frozen peas
    1/2 dry white wine
    salt and pepper – cilantro -.
    Sautee onions and celery until onions are transparent, add – chile powder* – tomatoes, wine and simmer until sauce is thick. Add frozen peas, simmer for 5 minutes, add shrimp and simmer another 5 minutes. Serve with allowed rice, sprinkle shopped cilantro on top. *) optional

WER4health
    Participant

Based on Greek cuisine:
    Roasted Vegetables, Greek style
    Serves 4
    2 medium zucchini
    2 stalks celery
    1 carrot
    2 white turnips or 1/2 rutabaga
    2 small red potatoes
    2 cups broccoli
    1 leek
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup hot water
    Preheat oven to 350 degree. Cut vegetables into chunks. Put vegetables into a oven-proof baking dish, add salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Add the cup of olive oil, mix, add the cup of water. Cover and bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours, uncover for the last 30 minutes.
    It makes a good side dish for any kind of meat/fish. OR sprinkle some grated cheese on top and serve as a vegetarian meal.

WER4health
    Participant

Jasmine or Sticky rice with spinach
    Serves 4
    1 cup jasmine or sticky rice
    8 oz baby spinach, washed and drained
    Prepare and cook rice as per FTD instruction. After 25 minutes, stir in 8 oz of baby spinach, cover again, steep for 10 minutes.
    Best served with baked fish. OR – again – sprinkle with grated cheese for a vegetarian meal.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sounds delicious Wer! Thanks for posting.

Lana
    Participant

Just tried the rice tonight. It was good! Will do it again. Thanks for the recipe.

mchurch314
    Participant

Yes, the Jasmine rice is delicious. Hope to add one or two of my own recipe in the future.

Jaeme
    Participant

WER4health – I made your roasted Greek veggies tonight, they were delicious! Thanks for posting!

Since I am transitioning from a no-fat/low-acid diet to the FTD diet, I did not add as much olive oil (it was so good to taste olive oil again!). I also eliminated the leeks, as I have not figured out if onion/garlic/leek are a trigger food yet. I used Italian herbs, and topped with a little Parmesan cheese. This is the type of food I always made before the dreaded no-fat/low-acid “just kill me now” diet.

Jaeme
    Participant

Found a new Stevia product that has only two ingredients – Dextrose & Stevia (no sugar alcohols, etc.) It is called “Stevia in the Raw”. I have always found stevia to be bitter, but the added dextrose seems to help.

mchurch314
    Participant

Awesome Jaeme….it’s so hard to find pre-made sweet products that are low in sugar or sugar-free that have no sugar alcohols. You pretty much have to make your own treats. All of the sugar-free chocolate and candies that I have found are all loaded with sugar alcohols. Even if they say sweetened with Splenda, they also have sugar alcohols (not sure why since Splenda is also a sweetener). I have found that most of them have Maltitol which is a sugar alcohol. I did get lucky with a sugar free Chocolate Flavored Syrup (to go on my Lactose Free Bryer’s ice cream) that is sweetened with Splenda and only has 2 grams of sugar alcohol (Sorbital). I can tolerate 2 grams (for two tablespoons) to get a chocolate fix.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I agree. Good job Jaeme. Erythritol is one sugar alcohol with some surprising properties. Here is a paragraph I am adding to the next printing of FTD Heartburn. Thanks to Lauren Benning and Kris Gunnars:
    “One sugar alcohol, erythritol, has some unique properties which makes it a good choice as a natural (it’s produced by yeast) alternative sweetener. Unlike the other sugar alcohols, erythritol is mostly (90%) absorbed in the small intestine. Even the 10% that remains in the intestine may not be a problem as at least one study showed gut bacteria may not be able to metabolize it. There’s more good news. Erythritol is not metabolized significantly by the body as most of it can be recovered in urine. Safety studies in animals and humans suggest that erythritol is very safe as well. Thanks to Lauren Benning (http://www.healthyindulgences.net) for writing to me about the benefits or erythritol and Kris Gunnars (http://authoritynutrition.com/erythritol/) for his excellent article on erythritol.”

mchurch314
    Participant

Has anyone every tried Balsamic Vinegar to neutralize acidic food and stomach acid? I ran into a guy that sells high-end Balsamic Vinegar and he told me that many of his friends that have Acid Reflux use Balsamic Vinegar to treat their GERD. He gave me a bottle for free (with no commitment to buy any of his product in the future) and told me to try it in the hopes that it would help my GERD. He said to drink a half ounce before dinner and a half ounce after dinner. Trying it tonight…I’ll either be racked with stomach pain, I see an improvement or nothing will happen, and if that is the case, that’s OK, it taste great and would be great on salads, with fruit or added to olive oil for bread dipping. I’ll update you’all later.

Jaeme
    Participant

Despite mainstream medical doctors discounting apple cider vinegar as a treatment for reflux, my mainstream ENT did say that so many of her patients say it helps that she recommends giving it a try. I would think balsamic would be similar, especially if it is “raw” or minimally processed (the the good AC vinegar is supposed to be raw & unfiltered).

Jaeme
    Participant

Good job to you too Norm, and Lauren & Kris! BTW – day three of the FT diet, and my LPR coughing has subsided considerably, nasal passages clear, not bringing up wads of mucus. Keeping fingers crossed!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hey MC, People take vinegar to increase stomach acidity. I think people with low stomach acid and GERD are a minority, but some people find it helps. Remember to take a sip of water after so you don’t leave acidity in your esophagus. Some people mix a teaspoon or so with a small amount of water. Balsamic does have sugar in it, so count half the grams of sugar as FP or use unsweetened vinegar – say apple cider vinegar. Let us know what happens. Also, if you take tums, PPIs or H2 blockers, you’re doing the opposite – blocking or neutralizing acid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.