Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Long-term questions

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello:
    I bought the Kindle version of fast track IBS and have been using it to treat small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (methane). Recently, I was treated for H-Pylori and think the antibiotics contributed to the overgrowth. I have always eaten low carb and another thing that may have exacerbated my condition is the sugar free items- I didnt know until your book about the FP of “ol” sweeteners. Atkins bars especially cause gas.
    I noticed on the FP tables that Stevia is not mentioned. The ingredients are: Dextrose, Stevia Extract. I have used it in my coffee for years but want to make sure it is not a problem. Questions:
    1. What are your thoughts on the Stevia?
    2. What FP point number you recommend for treating bacterial overgrowth?
    3. Should I avoid even the low FP cereals/bread/baguettes?

Right now the main symptoms I am having are stomach gurling after meals, bloating, burping and constipation. I take enzymes with meals to help with digestion due to low acid. On a positive note, I have never had heartburn or acid reflux but have always had IBS-C and took Zelnorm for years until it was pulled off market. (worked great for me)

Thank you so much for all of your help. You are a lifesaver to many.

SherryL
    Participant

Quick question: I have read somewhere that bacteria can feed off of the ketones – after going very low carb/ketosis.

What are your thoughts on this?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Sherryl,
    1. What are your thoughts on the Stevia? – Thanks for bringing this up. The FP is zero. I just updated the FP tables to add it. It will be in the next revision of the ebook – due out in the next few weeks – along with lots of other updates and a table on grains.
    2. What FP point number you recommend for treating bacterial overgrowth? FP 30g/day sounds good. You can go lower if you need to.
    3. Should I avoid even the low FP cereals/bread/baguettes? This seems like a good course. I tend to avoid these myself for the most part. Not a big fan of gluten.
    I have heard that some fungi can consume ketones. I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

simply6daisies
    Participant

I have been doing FT diet since March 2nd. Symptoms are better, off Pepcid 40 at bedtime completely. However, for the past week I seem to be having breakthrough reflux. I have yet to eat any bread, rice. I’ve left off desserts from diet this week & instead have a second smoothie. Any ideas as to a cause? Day consist of smoothie mid morning that holds me til dinner where I have meat/veggies and/or salad with boiled egg, cheese & lemon squeezed instead of dressing. I have added a Dr. Pepper 10 once a day for about 2 weeks. Thanks for any help.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Simply, I am quite limited in this forum in terms of offering individual advice. One thing you might consider is the very small amount of fermentable carbs required to make lots of gas.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Simply – Dr. Pepper has moderate caffeine, which is one thing that research shows can loosen the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) at the top of the stomach. This allows reflux to come up into the esophagus & throat. I would eliminate the Dr. Pepper for a while (and other caffeine) and see how it goes. Your LES may be susceptible.

simply6daisies
    Participant

I just researched and realized the DP 10 has a minute amount of high fructose corn syrup, which I didn’t know. Just was thinking diet drink on ok list. Will leave that off and see if improvement.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.