Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Long-term questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm – Thank you for your guidance. How long have you been following your diet? You mentioned that you still stay well below a daily FP of 40. Have you ever tried to increase that?

Do you eat any grain products besides the low FP rice (such as baguette)?

Do you have any issues with blood lipids or other vital health numbers?

Is it possible to live on just meat, cheese, eggs & veggies? Have any of your followers been able to add other foods back in?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I have been controlling my reflux by diet for 10 years now. I used low carb for many years. They I used the Fast Tract Approach. Because I tend to gain weight on carbs, I am doing a hybrid of the two these days. Because my SIBO and reflux has been under good control for so long, I can eat whatever I want (which does happen around holidays) for about three days of so. At that point symptoms begin to return. For carbs I generally avoid most grains, with bread as an occasional treat. Since my girlfriend is Japanese, we do eat sticky rice relatively often. I also eat lots of veggies and a fair amount of fish, meats, butter, low FP fruits, fermented foods, berries and cheeses. And of course I eat most of the other low FP foods in the Fast Tract books. Lastly Paleo purists may not approve, but I love tofu dishes once in awhile, especially when traveling in Japan. And their fermented veggies over there are out of this world.

Forgot to mention, Tonight I had 3/4 cup regular ice cream. People with lactose intolerance or active SIBO should choose lactose-free ice cream.

My blood work is fine and I don’t take any drugs (at 57, knock on wood) with the exception of an occasional ibuprofen.

You said “Is it possible to live on just meat, cheese, eggs & veggies?” What book have you been reading? Compare the Fast Tract Diet to SCD, FODMAP or ketogenic low carb diet.

Jaeme
    Participant

Help! The past few days I have been having a VERY sore throat, and it feels like acid creeping up my esophagus. I have never had this before – never any symptoms of heartburn or sore throat, just the mucus of LPR. I was doing quite well on the FT diet. I had cut even lower on my FPs several days ago due to burping and has mostly gone away. Only to be replaced by this severe sore throat. Why would this be? I am very scared. I really want the FT diet to work.

Anonymous

I hate to hear this, you were doing so well. I hope it’s just a regular sore throat due to a cold. I have 2 family members here with a sore throat now. I had a crazy dream last night, that when you get these vapors/ bacteria in your throat(LPR ) you can spread it by kissing. That would be horrible if true.So far knock on wood, my only symptoms are a little post natal drip in morning, and tiny puff burps immediately after eating. The burps usually stop within a few mins. I’m doing everything right. I just keep telling myself it can take up to 6 months for this to heal.

Jaeme
    Participant

Norm – thank you so much for posting your story of long-term success. It gives us hope! Sounds like we should look at the FT diet more as a non-medicine control rather than a cure? That’s okay, as I would much rather do the FT program than pills! Any tips you can offer us are greatly appreciated 🙂

19- I am doing better today, as I cut back on FP points even more & drinking even more water. I did have corned beef last night, and wonder if an ingredient in the meat cure is high FP?

Jaeme
    Participant

19- I also went to decaf coffee, as I think the caffeine may be loosening the LES muscle.

Anonymous

I read somewhere that vegetable oils like canola, cottonseed, soybean oil, and corn oil can be inflammatory. So I only use coconut oil, avocado oil, and olive oil now. I make my own salad dressings out of olive oil because of all the added ingredients in store bought. I have my own little container of salad dressing I take with me if I go out to eat. I’m not sure if you were the one that said they used ranch dressing. I’m also very careful about anything with high fructose corn syrup, it’s even in some seasoned salts. I’m using all Norms recipes except the rice, blue cheese dressing(for the wings) spiced nut mix, Italian sausage. The store bought Italian sausage had too many added ingredients, so I make my own. I always read the ingredients on the bottle or package now, where as before I didn’t. It took this horrible disease to finally make get serious about my health.

Jaeme
    Participant

Blood sugar question – I have been on the FT diet for almost a month, and for the most part have felt good energy and “normal” other than the LPR symptoms. I have always had stellar blood sugar levels. Today I had a longer than usual timespan between breakfast (which was a smoothie with added olive oil and protein powder) and lunch. At about the 4-hour mark, I started to get lightheaded, uncoordinated, couldn’t concentrate, almost feeling drugged. When I was finally able to eat lunch (still a lighter meal) at about the 5-hour mark, I think I felt better for about an hour and a half. Then all the symptoms above came back. I was able to eat a very light snack another hour and a half later, and it seemed to help other than having a dull headache. Does this sound like low blood sugar? Wondering if my liver has used up its store of glycogen to convert back to glucose in the absence of food-source glucose?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear about your sore throat Jaeme. As 19 suggested, sore regular old sore throats do happen. Hopefully won’t last long.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good ideas 19. At the writing of the Fast Tract books, I think I may have still been using some vegetable oil, but after more reading, mostly Chris Masterjohn’s articles, I also use only coconut oil and olive oil. May have to try avocado oil.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme,
    Blood sugar question: Too many carbs is a much bigger threat to blood sugar control. In the absence of carbs, your body will use fats and ketones and make any needed glucose from protein.

Jaeme
    Participant

Norm, not worried about not having the carbs, but wondering what metabolic change is going on as my body is switching over to fats & proteins? I am guessing that I just went too long without food. Since I am down to very little body fat, not much left to draw from if I have already depleted the glycogen store in the liver.

Great article here on carb vs. fat metabolism: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz2wSoBIVYC

I totally agree with the oils above – I have only used olive oil (and now coconut too) many years. Avocado oil sounds good – will have to look for a source.

BTW – sore throat is transient, and when it occurs is usually 2-4 hours after eating or in the morning when I wake. Comes & goes, and can feel it creep up the back of throat. Really cutting back on FP points and drinking more water seemed to help last day or two.

Chris
    Participant

Any practical advice about headaches? I am pretty sure that my recent headaches are related to a change in diet. I have read some things about low carb diets having a transition period with headaches and various flu-like symptoms, but the explanations for why they occur and the advice on how to handle them vary a lot. Thanks.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Chris – I have been on the FT diet for about a month. I did have headaches at weeks 2 & 3, but I chalked it up to using Stevia. It may still be, because when I quite the stevia the headaches went away – could just be timing of the diet too. About the time the headaches went away, my bowels seemed to adjust to a more regular schedule and my weight drop started to level off.

Anonymous

I get my 100% pure avocado oil from Costco, the brand is Chosen Foods and it can be used for high heat cooking up to 400. Coconut oil 350. I don’t think your supposed to use olive oil for cooking at high temp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.