Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Keeping weight/calories up

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Also Jaeme when you say LPR virtually gone, do you no loner have any post natal drip. I still have a little in the morning, hoarseness is getting better. Just have a little when I get stressed or excited.

Jaeme
    Participant

Norm – I am in ketosis from not having enough carbs. My metabolism completely switched over while on the FT diet, as I was eating fats, proteins, and veggies (and a little fruit) – not much of the rice either, and the bread seemed to give me some LPR problems. So now I am trying to figure out how to transition out of ketosis, which means slowly upping the carbs. But to do so on the FT diet is either quick-release glucose carbs (so I worry about insulin spikes, etc.) and going over the FP points if the food is not so quick-release. If you add up the daily carbs in the FT book recipes, they are usually well under 40, which is ketogenic. I should be over 60 or even at 80. How to do that except eat dextrose (which is only 4g. per teaspoon).

I had no weight troubles before. I ate a non-processed, whole foods diet and only drank water, coffee or tea. I did not work out at the gym, but my daily activities included some physical labor (gardening, farm work, outdoor work) – the kind our ancestors did. I naturally had a more muscular, leaner build since childhood, so I guess I was genetically blessed. But that is the problem I am experiencing now – that set me up for quick ketosis.

Jaeme
    Participant

I am seeing a holistic registered dietician/RN tomorrow who is very familiar with ketogenic. I will update after that.

Jaeme
    Participant

OOps – I meant Nutritionist, not Dietician (big difference).

Chris
    Participant

Are insulin spikes really a problem? If you eat the carbs with fat and protein, the rise in blood sugar is slowed. The GI is established with a single food at a time on an empty stomach, but that’s not necessarily how we eat those foods.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme, A couple of points. First, most people on low carb diets in ketosis are perfectly able to maintain their weight. They may loose a few pounds at first, but then quickly stabilize. In your case, I’m not sure unless your overall calories are reduced. Secondly, I added up the net carbs for recipes in Fast Tract and get around 75 – 85 grams per day, not considered a ketogenic diet. Of course, if you eliminate the starches, you will lower overall carbs per day. My own diet is typically around 60 grams per day of carbs and, like I said above, I have to be careful not to gain weight. We are all different, but if you’re not keeping weight one despite adequate calorie intake, one avenue to explore is whether you continue to have some level of malabsorption.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks guys for the input- Will let you know how the nutritionist visit goes today.

JI
    Participant

Good luck, Jaeme! Like they said on Red/Green “We’re all in this together”. I looked up ketosis. It does not sound like a dangerous state. You just want to halt the weight loss. Seeing the nutritionist is a wise step.

Jaeme
    Participant

I kept a food diary & the nutritionist agreed I was too low in carbs. She does a Paleo diet and is at 60 per day (like Norm). Looks like I was at 20-30. So I am to add 20 carbs a day this week, at least half in the AM, then 20 more the following week. The only way I have found to do that so far is to eat about a half-cup of rice chex with breakfast. She liked the buckwheat pancake listed in the FT chart, so looking for the gluten-free mix. She also put me on an enzyme mix called Gastrazyme that is supposed to help heal, as well as an adrenal support called Drenamin. We are doing a comprehensive blood test on Monday. She agreed about gluten tests being inconclusive, especially if you have not eaten any gluten for a while (no reative proteins to show up in test). I felt good about the visit, as she is a RN with a Masters in Nutrition who got into the “alternative” therapies when conventional medicine could not help her child with severe food issues, her own sinus issues, etc. (all of which were helped with diet change & alt. therapies)

JI
    Participant

Wow, your nutritionist sounds like a gem! I hope everything works out well for you Jaeme!

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI, you too! One of the ingredients in the enzymes I was given is vitamin U, not really a vitamin but an enzyme from cabbage. Research idicates helpful for ulcer erosions, and now reflux, gastritis, and colitis.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.