Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Keeping weight/calories up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Norm, in your photo you appear to be a normal/medium sized man. How do you keep your weight up on the FT diet? I am 5’5″ female and have always had a muscular build. I am still losing weight, even though trying to add more fats. I assume at some point it will equal out, but I am below where I should be and don’t want to get any lower.

Anyone else have tips?

JI
    Participant

Jaeme–I snack on small amounts of nuts during the day. They are calorie laden. I also have some dry red wine with dinner, within FT limits. Alcohol is high calorie, plus I enjoy wine. 🙂 I have been consuming some coconut oil, too. I don’t like it’s consistency, so melt it in a little hot water and then sip. I try to have some lactose free ice cream after dinner, or make the cheesecake from the Fast Tract Heartburn recipe section. I understand your concern about weight. My weight declined to the point where I currently wear size “0” pants, and sometimes they are a little baggy. But, adding the high calorie food has allowed me to maintain my current weight.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI – wondering how to eat the nuts, etc & stay in FP range. Do you stay at 40 & under, or do you go a little higher?

JI
    Participant

Jaeme–You are welcome. I am probably in the 30-40 range. I will eat 30 oz of pecans or almonds for an FP of 4 or 5 once or twice per day. I forgot to mention that I eat eggs and cheese a lot. Most hard cheeses are 0 FP. I also have salads with some nuts, cheese, and turkey or chicken and top them with ranch dressing, also high calorie with low FP. The Breyers lactose-free ice cream is 5 FP for a 1/2 cup serving.

Jaeme
    Participant

Sounds similar to what I have been doing- eating a couple ounces of nuts with a date, cheeses with the eggs and salads and veggies, even dipping rice crackers in olive oil for a snack (and drinking the leftover oil). Have been adding olive oil to everything, or heavy cream. Need to start muscle building again, but afraid to burn even those calories.

JI
    Participant

I have been doing a yoga sequence by Yoga with Adriene. Surprisingly, the downward dogs and other inverted positions do not bring on acid reflux for me. I believe MChurch posted a You-tube video of Adriene’s Yoga for acid reflux, only 12 minutes long. It is a good introduction to Adriene Mishler and her yoga style. I will post the link to this and a 20 minute one she has for detox and digestion. I purchased her 29 day yoga challenge (today is my day 13). Each session is around 45 min. I really enjoy it, and do not think it is too strenuous.

Jaeme
    Participant

Great! I do miss doing yoga, it will be nice to have it back 🙂

JI
    Participant

Yay, I have made progress on the gaining weight front. I went to the doctor’s office, and had gained nearly 4 pounds since my visit last April. Of course, I had my shoes on this time, so maybe more like 3 pounds, but I’ll take it!

Jaeme
    Participant

I have been adding a tablespoon of olive oil to the breakfast smoothie to add calories & emulsifies to give a creamy texture. Does not affect taste, especially if you add a few drops of almond or vanilla extract. Also add a half cup of coconut milk (from the carton, unsweetened). Or have the half cupf the carton coconut milk with a few teaspoons of Tera’s Whey Blueberry flavor for a snack.

Jaeme
    Participant

Still losing weight! 🙁 Getting to a very scary point. I am adding extra “mini” nut snacks during the day, drinking even more cream & coconut milk, sipping olive oil. Not sure what else I can do except try to squeak up the FP points. Other than that, I am doing wonderful on the FT diet – LPR virtually gone, more energy than I have had in my entire life (so the fat-burning metabolism trumps the carb-burning metabolism on that point). Would love to lift weights to add more muscle (I’ve always had a leaner, muscular build), but not sure how to do that and not burn even more calories.

Besides meat & cheese, what other high calorie, low FP, non-gluten foods can be eaten on the FT diet?

JI
    Participant

Jaeme–what about adding 1/2 cup of Breyers lactose-free vanilla ice cream, FP 5? If you enjoy wine, dry reds or whites are low FP, and can pack on the calories. I like to mix a few raspberries with coconut milk and add some Great Lakes unflavored gelatin to thicken. You can add dextrose if you wish for sweetness.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI – at this point I think I will need that ice cream three times a day (or more). I started having “mini” smoothies of 1/2 c. carton coconut milk (unsweetened, 2.5g. fat, 0g. carb per 1/2 cup), 1/8 c. heavy cream, splash of unsweetened kefir (sometimes), dash of vanilla extract, 3/4 tsp. dextrose (was not adding that before, but trying to add calories)- very tasty. Could add a strawberry too. I do enjoy dry red wines, but found they aggravated reflux before (maybe try again now). I am just flabbergasted that I could be losing so much weight so fat while eating this much fat, and lots of food in general as I try to eat as much as I can without overfilling belly.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme – about my weight. I have the opposite problem. I tend to gain weight from carbs and always need to watch how many I eat – aside from the heartburn connection. I could loose 10 pounds, but I don’t worry too much about it. I think there is an evolutionary tendency to gain some weight as we age. Imagine back in caveman days. As you get older, you can’t run as fast and may depend more on the “wait and pounce hunting strategy”, putting on a few pounds gives you the calories to survive between kills. Just a thought.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme, How did you maintain your weight previously?

Anonymous

I’m just the opposite on this diet, I’ll gain a couple pounds then next week loose a couple pounds. So I’m maintaining my weight, I would like to loose 12 lbs. I’m not complaining about the weight because I also have tons of energy. I work out and am able to do 30 min elip level 10, stationary bike 30 level 10, treadmill 30 3.8 mph, then I go to the weight/ aerobic step room for 30 min, and at end of day walk my dog 45 min about 3mph. You would think the wt would just fall off with all the exercise. I really like the post where you guys talk about what you’re eating. If anybody wants to start a post about what your menu was for that day and how many points you ate I think people would like reading it. Just wondering Jaeme do you eat any low FP fruits? I may need to cut fruits out for awhile to help with wt lose.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.