Skip to main content

Just Started FTD… Anyone experience sudden changes?

//Just Started FTD… Anyone experience sudden changes?
Just Started FTD… Anyone experience sudden changes?2017-08-08T11:37:06+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR Just Started FTD… Anyone experience sudden changes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A brief history. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia / GERD in 2006. I was prescribed Nexium first and Protonix later. As memory serves, I was only on the various drugs for 1 or 2 months. My symptoms did clear, and I effectively had a 10 year period where any heartburn/indigestion I had was within the normal range of most people.

Unfortunately, a year ago, I had an episode that woke me up from my sleep. It was a hacking fit that was clearly acid related. Not too long after, I started developing the sore throat, mild ear pain and globus sensation. I went to an ENT. They scoped and diagnosed me as having LPR, and gave me a prescription for Omeprazole (40mg) taken once daily before my last meal. I took them for a couple weeks. Symptoms went away. I returned to normal business, then the symptoms recurred. I took the pills for 30 days this May. Nothing. Since then, it has been a rollercoaster. I would wake up every morning with a sour taste in my mouth. But the other symptoms would come and go. Two weeks ago they were gone. Now they are back.

In between I found this diet, read the book, and downloaded the app (I also read Koufman’s book).

So, I’ve been on the diet only 3 days, and I’ve had some curious experiences. 1) I do feel like the diet has already had an impact on my LPR, as the sour taste in my mouth every morning has diminished along with the other symptoms.

However, 2) My sleep has been totally disrupted from the start. Whenever I eat, I get a warm sensation in my abdomen, then throughout the evening my sleep is disturbed every two hours by the same sensation but rushing up my esophagus. I find it curious that as soon as I committed to this diet, I’ve started to have these episodes. The episodes are not marked by intense burning, but rather warmth. There is little to no pain, but it still is distressing to wake up this way. Of course, it is also making me tired.

Any one else experience this once they started the FTD?

AndreaS
    Participant

My gut feeling says you changed your diet too much too fast. Your body is reacting to the quantity of the change, not the quality. If you think that that might very well be the case, start eating again non-FTD friendly food that you have been eating before, and introduce FTD slower. I usually recommend to not change a diet dramatically. Introduce changes over a course of roughly 2 weeks. Keep a diary, and then compare your symptoms of the time before FTD with the symptoms 1-2 weeks after the 2 week introduction.

dhi131
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Since my original post, the night time reflux has continued. However, heartburn is now occurring as well. Trying to sort it all out. Unfortunately, when you are anticipating an uncomfortable evening, it makes it difficult to be confident in anything one is eating (FTD compliant or not).

But I take your “quantity over quality” as a legitimate insight. It crossed my mind as well. I think I will be reintroducing some old foods to the mix, mainly in the snack area, and see where that goes. Old snacking habits were the one area I had yet to find an FTD replacement.

Would be great to give this FTD diet a go without the disrupted sleep symptoms.

AndreaS
    Participant

Don’t give up, many, including myself, have seen great improvement of symptoms within a week or two. Maybe you just had a bad start.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.