Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A jasmine rice – gi for brown version?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I know we are generally avowing whole grains, but I am trying to find a GI for jasmine rice (brown) as I would like a rice with the same starch but a lower GI (I know with more fibre this will also up the FP).
    I am noticing blood sugar drops that are having quite an impact on me (have not had these fro many years and not recently on the diet I was on till I started FTD – vegan and whole grain)
    If anyone knows where I might find a brown jasmine rice GI, I would be very grateful.
    cmc

JI
    Participant

Hi cmcuk–I found an ad on the internet for brown jasmine rice that stated the GI is 74.

AndreaS
    Participant

I wouldn’t count on the numbers 😉 Seriously, go to http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php and search for “jasmine”. Jasmine rice comes in many varieties with very different GIs. If possible, I recommend you just buy a small bag and try it out.

Where I live I can buy brown Jasmine rice which has a 40 minute cooking time. Personally, I think the GI of this is rather the same compared to a 15 minute white Jasmine rice. But that’s just wild guessing.

cmcuk
    Participant

thanks for these replies. will be looking in to this. Fp will be horrible due to fibre, but might try mixing it with white (after cooking!) for some of nutritional benefits of rice hull.

AndreaS
    Participant

The FP shouldn’t be much higher due to fiber. According to the numbers I have found, white Jasmine rice has about 1.5% fiber whereas brown Jasmine rice has 2.2%. So, per 100g brown Jasmine rice has only 0.7g more fiber. That’s almost nothing 🙂

cmcuk
    Participant

thank you so much! I am really happy, as I get concerned about eating so much white rice…..
    Cmcuk

Jaeme
    Participant

That’s great news! I was able to find brown Jasmine rice, and figured that since white Jasmine is a negative FP, the added fiber in brown should still come out lower than or equal to sticky rice. Wondered if there were other components in the brown version that would impact FP besides just fiber. Am anxious to give it a try.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.